Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

White Bicycles ?
    Worth picking up if you can find it( maybe deleted ), I got a used copy pretty cheap.

2. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I picked it up a couple years ago and enjoyed it. One thing that sticks out and may be a bit hazy now was Joe's re-telling of how Sandy Denny apparently could not relate to Nick after asking her to reach out to him on a musical level.

3. Zardok

Zardok Forum Resident

Not being a smoker (I was 17 I think when I picked up his first album) and seeing him possibly in a shed I assumed at first that it mean five leaves left on a tree and that it went somehow with the autumnal feel of the album. Teenage poesy. Sometime a pipe is just a pipe though.

Narcissus and adriatikfan like this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I know this is an unusual post for a Nick Drake thread... but I recently discovered this new solo album by swedish musician Jonathan Hulten that has definite Drake vibes (along with Americana, psych folk, and a lot of other stuff). Now, Hulten's day job is in a black/dark metal band. I know what you are thinking -- I thought the same. Until I listened to the album. And then I ordered the vinyl. And now I'm convinced it will end up being one of my favourites of the year.

alexpop likes this.
  5. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

How about Bumpers. It have Thoughts of Mary Jane on it.

adriatikfan likes this.
  6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

The CD comp White Bicycles is a good listen, too. Has Poor Boy and Way to Blue on it.

7. Apo
    Apologies - my post wasn't clear. I have Bumpers, as well as the other two mentioned.

The track you mean is 'Hazey Jane'

Best Wishes,
    David

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Mary Jane = jazz cigarettes? :)

adriatikfan likes this.
  9. I couldn't possibly comment.

David

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

What’s the new .. :)

adriatikfan likes this.
  11. alexpop

G Drake?
    But .. she was in The Avengers(guest appearance) alongside Diana Rigg.

12. Narcissus

Narcissus Forum Resident

Oh, thank you for commenting on this for it is my favourite book alos. never far hand! Indeed, I also gave someone I adore very recently, a first addition no less, of ‘Letters to A Young Poet’, much to her young self-having not read it before now. It is one of those books which one feels is inclusive for everyone to cope with despair, or perhaps better explained as; being the strength and necessity of solitariness - To see clarity in one’s emotion and psyche.
    Very pleased we have this in common. Thank you.

This is most gracious of you alexpop! I have sought out this book on ebay for a very reasonable priced and I thank you for your recommendation. I shall add to slightly off-balance pile pf books compiled for my Nick drake research…which I’m hoping to be womderful

Indeed, Zardock, however, I find that one's gut feeling, along with intuition is something altogether mor important than all else one could sense of as truth, rather than study or read about some Journalist as a “Fact”, which the 5 leaves left warning paper is not entirely true, however it is by hearsay, therefor not fact, Thanks for your contribution Zardock!

peopleareleaving and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

Yeah! Very catchy .. film soundtrack esqe.

lucan_g likes this.
  14. alexpop

CW: I’ve just got the Pan paperback.
    If you like The Glass Cage, the author did a series of novels with the same character running through them, being Ritual In The Dark,Man without A Shadow & The God Of The Labyrinth.:righton:

Narcissus likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Some incredible articles from "Rocks Back Pages" [UK] mag...magazines articles with artists like Phil Oches, BILL FAY, JACKSON C. FRANK, Martin Carthy, Dylan, Fred Neal, Country Joe...hundreds and hundreds of interviews and reviews since 1966.
    ...And NICK DRAKE. Interviews with Joe Boyd, John Martyn on Nick...much much more

Here is an excerpt from a review from the site; from 1969 from Sounds magazine!

[​IMG]

"I DON'T think I've been so impressed by an unknown singer/songwriter since I got the Duncan Browne album on Immediate, eighteen months ago, (why don't Immediate send us review copies? WHY DON'T IMMEDIATE SEND US REVIEW COPIES?), as I've been by the Nick Drake thing..."

Rock's Backpages: Music reviews, articles & interviews from the Online Library of Pop Writing

And here are all the articles on Nick, we can spend our whole splendid isolation reading about Nick alone. And then hundreds more featuring our other favorite artists!:

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Library/SearchResults?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    tug_of_war, alexpop and beccabear67 like this.
  16. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Listening to the music of Molly Drake, Nick's mum, will help to explain Nick. She made outsider chamber music. Molly Drake grew up in Burma, England, and India. That plays a part of the other-worldly quality of Nick Drake's music.

tug_of_war likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

Nick Drake interview..the only one he ever did. Very short of course. What else would we expect from Nick.
    I can imagine Nick just getting up and walking away, cutting short a brief interview. Can't imagine how uncomfortable Nick might have been...talking.

Interview with Nick Drake From Sounds (March 13, 1971) by Jerry Gilbert
    Interview with Nick Drake From Sounds (March 13, 1971) by Jerry Gilbert : nickdrake

Nick Drake is a shy, introverted folk singer, who is not usually known to speak unless it is absolutely necessary. But Nick is not the kind of folk singer who will drift into your friendly neighbourhood folk club; in fact, if you've seen him perform, the chances are that it was on the bill of a sell-out Festival Hall concert.

Last week I spoke to Nick, and eventually discovered that it has been precisely these kind of gigs that had hung him up - the reason why he has shied away from public performances almost without exception.

"I think the problem was with the material, which I wrote rather for records than performing. There were only two or three concerts that felt right, and there was something wrong with all the others. I did play Cousins and one or two folk clubs in the north, but the gigs just sort of petered out," Nick explained.

Nick pointed out that he was not happy with the way the gigs were working out and he couldn't get into them properly. Why, then, was he performing at such esteemed venues as the Festival Hall?

"I was under some obligation to them, but it wasn't the end of the world when I stopped. If I was enjoying the gigs it would have made much more sense."

Don't, however, gain the impression that Nick is not a superb artist. Placed in the right context, his songs produce quite a stunning effect over a period of time. He has worked on two albums with Witchseason producer Joe Boyd, the latter having been released only only last week. Entitled "Bryter Layter", it features some of the musicians who contributed to the success of the John and Beverly Martyn albums, notably Paul Harris; and Robert Kirby's arrangements are just as important as Nick Drake's songs.

Says Nick: "I had something in mind when I wrote the songs, knowing that they weren't just for me. The album took a long time to do, in fact, we started it almost a year ago. But I'm not altogether clear about this album - I haven't got to terms with the whole presentation."

What's the next step for Nick? "I think there'll be another album and I have some material for it, but I'll be looking around now to see if the album leads anywhere naturally. For the next one I had the idea of just doing something with John Wood, the engineer at Sound Techniques."

Would there be any gigs to promote the album? "I don't think that would help - unless they were done in the right way. I'm just not very sure at the moment, it's hard to tell what will turn up. If I could find making music a fairly natural connection with something else, then I might move on to something else."

[​IMG]

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

If a movie ever gets made about Nick, central casting better take a look at this guy...leather bag maker Will Lisak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. alexpop

Other musical possibilities:
    Doing soundtracks..by the looks of it.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  20. lemonade kid

Or music videos...those would have worked nicely for Nick, except they had not really entered the scene fully to the extent they did soon afterwards.
    He wouldn't have needed to even appear in them, just images and the music would have been quite effective.

Cameras in studio sessions would have been so great..for videos.

21. alexpop

If he followed a similar route as say Duncan Browne, dont think his music would be remembered as well. dying young, leaving a good looking corpse sort of thing was to his benefit.Its as if his soul has been immortalised, with his sudden passing so young.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  22. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Sorry. I meant Hazy Jane. Nick did like his Mary Jane though. Lol

adriatikfan likes this.
  23. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

On a Saturday night many years ago, in the wee small hours, we sat playing records at our best friend Melody's, house.
    She remembered owning a box of old albums, stored in the attic.
    Mel taught art and had a passion for the unusual & the beautiful.
    She pulled out a 1st pressing of Five Leaves Left and said "I think you'll like this"

In May 2009 she & I went to the Nick Drake Tribute concert at Birmingham Town Hall, Way To Blue.
    Robert Kirby was in charge of the string quartet.
    When they played Way To Blue it was exactly as on Five Leaves Left.
    I turned to Mel to see that she too had tears rolling down her face.

I'm now catching up on your posts because she passed away in her sleep on the 9th of March.
    A victim of Early Onset Dimentia.
    Last Thursday we said our goodbyes to Melody.
    I had the priveledge of choosing the music for her Cremation service and under the current restrictions, hosting her service.

The first track of her service chose itself...

24. Surprised Hollywood has never made a biopic about Nick. Many less talented performers have gotten one.

25. alexpop

Biopic,
    Can’t see a happy Hollywood ending.