Bob Dylan Listening Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 16, 2017.

1. For the third time this a.m.

2. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Bob sent me an email also this morning. Like the song. Thanks to Bob...

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

The last time I saw Bob was a three-night stand in 2014. I'm in a wheelchair and got tired of people standing in front of me during the encores, so on the second night I zoomed up front. The security guy couldn't have been nicer and actually made sure other folks didn't get in front of me. This was the closest I have ever seen Bob live. It was great! When I tried the same thing the final night, a different security guy yelled at me and said he was going to shine his flashlight in my face until I left. It didn't make any difference when I explained people were going to stand in front of me if I went back to my seat. (I did make sure I ran over his foot when I backed out though.) Another usher let me sit on the side aisle, but I really couldn't see much.

Fab-_- and Richard--W like this.
  4. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

That Live 1961-2000 that I have has three songs from those Portsmouth shows on it, so am hoping that his Bootleg Series will allow some of this live stuff see a release. This band was as good as any other he has had.

Jimmy B. and Tribute like this.
  5. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

shot up a small best-of type playlist for someone who hasn't delved into Bob. What do you think I should've added?

1963-10-26 Carnegie Hall - The Times They Are A-Changin' [Live]
    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - Blowin' in the Wind
    The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan - A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
    Bringing It All Back Home - Subterranean Homesick Blues
    Bringing It All Back Home - Mr. Tambourine Man
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 01-03 - Rare & Unreleased (1961-1991) - Moonshiner
    Highway 61 Revisted - Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
    Highway 61 Revisted - Ballad Of A Thin Man
    Blonde on Blonde - Visions Of Johanna
    Blonde on Blonde - One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)
    Blonde on Blonde - Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
    John Wesley Harding - I Dreamed I Saw St. Augustine
    Nashville Skyline - Lay Lady Lay
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 01-03 - Rare & Unreleased (1961-1991) - Wallflower
    Blood On The Tracks - Meet Me In The Morning
    Blood On The Tracks - Idiot Wind
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 05 - Live 1975: The Rolling Thunder Revue - Tangled Up In Blue [Live]
    Planet Waves - Going, Going, Gone
    Desire - Hurricane
    Slow Train Coming - Slow Train
    Infidels - Jokerman
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 11 - The Basement Tapes - Bourbon Street
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 11 - The Basement Tapes - I'm Not There
    The Bootleg Series Vol. 11 - The Basement Tapes - Wild Wolf
    1995-06-21 The Pedlar Now Speaks - Visions Of Johanna [Live]
    1995-06-21 The Pedlar Now Speaks - Mr. Tambourine Man [Live]
    1966-05-17 Guitars Kissing & The Contemporary Fix - Like A Rolling Stone [Live]
    Side Tracks - Things Have Changed

6. highway

highway Forum Resident

I’d add his Thirsty Boots cover. My favorite vocal.

PADYBU likes this.
  7. Chimes Of Freedom. Also Don't Think Twice, It's All Right, Gates Of Eden, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Positively 4th Street, Desolation Row, Queen Jane Approximately...God there's so many great songs from him. License To Kill. Tangled Up In Blue. Simple Twist Of Fate.

I guess Chimes of Freedom would be my biggest pick to add. I love so many of Dylan's songs, I could just sit here for ages thinking up more.
    Last Thoughts on Woody Guthrie (I know, it's not a song of course, but it's so incredibly moving).
    Nice to see you chose the Guitars Kissing version of Like A Rolling Stone, it truly is the greatest (and I prefer that mix to the official one also).
    That set also has a wonderful She Belongs To Me...the acoustic set is out of this world.
    Reminds me - oh yes, from the Pedlar Now Speaks. Those would be my two choices from it too. I also love the Berkeley show so much, the acoustic set in it.
    Oh jumping ahead there's Dignity....there's so many....
    All Along The Watchtower - a must for the original to be heard.

Edit: and Not Dark Yet!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  8. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

I love – LOVE – the Basement Tapes, but wouldn't these be pretty impenetrable for a brand-new listener? I'd take them out and, if you want to have some Basement stuff in there, pick one track in a more accessible state – say, "I Shall Be Released" maybe. That would also give you space for something post–"Things Have Changed." Heck, that was twenty years ago! Ending in 2000 is like having a list that goes to today – well, to yesterday :) – but only starts in 1981.

"Mississippi" (could even use the stripped-down one that kicks off BS8 if you like), "Nettie Moore," "Soon After Midnight" are all beautiful vocals, but you could use also go for "High Water" or any of a few others from post-2000 that stand up with the best of anything he's done. You'll never get everything covered, but a taste of each era would give a more helpful overview than a sudden precise focus on an admittedly weird corner of the canon (the Basements). And something certainly has to be there from Time Out of Mind, if not also Oh Mercy.

I'd also keep everything fully chronological, so move any Basement stuff back earlier (and the Manchester "Rolling Stone" too), Planet Waves before Blood, "Moonshiner" earlier, etc. Always interesting to see what people pick for these lists though!

Lewisboogie, PADYBU and Jimmy B. like this.
  9. I Shall Be Released, definitely.
    And also Mississippi, I was thinking that before.

I was just listening to Knockin' On Heaven's Door - that's another fantastic one, and accessible.
    The more accessible, for someone new to it, the better.

10. I feel we've kind of strayed from the listening thread!
    One could always open up a new thread on Music Corner asking what kind of playlist to make for someone who's never got into an artist, people do that all the time.

11. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Disc 4 on repeat.

Crispy Rob, SteveFff, The MEZ and 5 others like this.
  12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

AWESOME BIG Dylan box.

The MEZ likes this.
  13. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I'm listening to Sara one of his last greatest songs

PADYBU likes this.
  14. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Within the last 2 months I have updated my Vol 6 Rare Dylan compilations of 45 ersions, OST and other 1 off and rarities. I had just added The Byrds live version of Fridays and the Byrds and Dylan live Mr T'Man from Ciro's 1965 (something I had wanted to hear since reading about it on Bringing It All Back Home LP. I had heard it in last 8 years but never put it on disc). So now I had to redo it and add Murder Most Foul!

The last track I'm looking for is Keep It With Mine(INST) -Wendell Baker Story OST.

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

For Dylan no it's not!

16. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I've been listening to all the recommendations in its own playlist. I could easily have added the majority of these, you can go mad making a Bob compilation like this, There's just so many classics! :faint:

I Shall Be Released is a great catch, how I let that one slip by I don't know, I'ma replace Bourbon Street with it. I suggested The Basement Tapes to a friend of mine who knew only a few of Dylan's hits when I met her, her background is mainly Opera, Classical and 80s synth. She liked a bunch but the one she really dug was Wild Wolf. Tracks a dark horse

17. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    the Ramona on this is so good!

18. All Down The Line

Boot label?

19. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

It's the 1998 Bell Bottom CD, I just use my own cover art

Jimmy B. and All Down The Line like this.
  20. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  21. All Down The Line

Bell Bottom?

22. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

Jimmy B. and All Down The Line like this.