The Floating World : The "Official" Soft Machine Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Soft Machine gets spooky here, this strange track was composed by Hugh Hopper, who also added the special effects.
    I enjoy all four of the studio cuts on the studio portion of Six, each track is unique.

bekayne, footlooseman and Fischman like this.
  2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Softs & Bundles are ESSENTIAL in my world!

John Fell and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  3. Jason Pumphrey

Bundles and Softs would have made a great double LP!

Scope J likes this.
  4. Jason Pumphrey

A great one from the Softs album.

John Fell and footlooseman like this.
  5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I had errands to run today and listened to Fourth in its entirety. Absolute gem of a studio release. I still prefer my insane proggy jazz to be live, but I've no complaints. I think I'll ring in the new year with some live '74 Grateful Dead. The 8/6/74 Playin'--> Scarlet--> Playin' has some Soft Machine-esque moments. Some crazy Henry Cow to follow. Happy 2020 to y'all.

jay.dee, Scope J and footlooseman like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I go in and out on Soft Machine. Early up to late '69 isn't my cuppa; late '69 - late '72 is my wheelhouse. After that, it's hit and miss.

7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Singing a song in the morning
    Singing it again at night
    Don't really know what I'm singing about
    But it makes me feel all right

"Moon In June" at Bilzen Jazz & Pop Festival, Aug 22, 1969

8. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

So I saw on Twitter today that there is a new Soft Machine live album forthcoming -
    `live at the Baked Potato'. I'm assuming that this is the current edition of the group.
    Vinyl release only, apparently.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the sound quality of the Sundazed reissues of the first two albums on CD. I have the old Big Beat two-fer, though my copy has grown damaged over the years, so I was looking to replace it. Their second album in particular is a favorite of mine.

I've been delving back in to their early material recently, including Jet Propelled Photographs. I was also thinking of acquiring the Turns On collection, though I know that the quality of the recordings there is supposed be pretty rough.

listner_matt likes this.
  10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I didn't much like the Sundazed LPs themselves, but have not heard their CDs. I like the Water/UMG CDs of Volume 1 and 2.

I'd be interested to know how you get along with the sundazed CDs if you buy them.

I love the 'Jet Propelled Photographs' album, despite it's apparent faults. Such a great collection of songs and a showcase for Wyatt's 'pop' singing.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've heard Turns On 1&2, but I've never been inclined to buy it. Maybe better sampled online before buying.

12. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Sundazed editions are totally crap compared to Big Beat. Soft Machine Probe tapes was the ones that got burned in recent vault fire, so i don't know what source Sundazed used. It doesn't matter, it sounds muddy. Get Big Beat editions. Polydor 2009 editions are also not so great, but have great booklets and 1967 single as bonus.

jerrygene and mr.datsun like this.
  13. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I've decided to update mine. I'm going to try the One Way USA CDs from 1990 - made the year after the Big Beat Volumes 1 & 2 CD you mention. I'll report back.

Forget the Water/UMG CDs I mentioned – I realise now that they have very low DR.

14. Duffy Shrimpton

Duffy Shrimpton Forum Resident

Corkers these softie lads
    Had soft machine 4 on bloody rotation me time at Croydon technical we done
    Hung with yer man Elton dean at the corn exchange in Bournemouth way back in yonks , lad was tucked into some well massive spots of the local whiskey he was...had to call his bird to come fetch the bloke, she was a bit o crumpet she was indeed was she, my son, looked like that bird from “on the bus” that wank on BBC
    Telly me man watched
    Like I said, mate, the Softs were ace with the punters now and then

jcarter, ArpMoog, parman and 4 others like this.
  15. Ya know, what if Kevin decided to stay in the band? You think it'd drive Mike out of the group?

16. hallucalation

Why would Mike decided to drop? He was only too happy to stay in the shadows. He was forced to become group composer after Daevid and Kevin departure

17. I suppose thats fair. But You think the songs from Kevin's Joy of a Toy album would be on Volume 2?

18. hallucalation

Why not? Song For Insane Times is full Soft Machine 1968 line up + Hugh Hopper on bass. I can see Kevin leaving after 1969 or 1970 to pursue more song oriented direction. He was already not happy about group direction by 1968

19. Scope J

bekayne and acetboy like this.
  20. Scope J

Another thanks to Outsidethewall

[​IMG]

21. Anytime!

Scope J likes this.
  22. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

I don't know, man. But I bet it would be awesome.

I've always dreamed of the original lineup, or even the 1st album lineup continuing.

Wyatt and Ratledge were brilliant and Ayers was the textbook case of too cool for school.

On the other hand, I wouldn't want to live without those Ayers and Wyatt solo albums or Gong's teapot trilogy.

Goes to show what a great band they were.

23. It'd probably be better than their later albums for sure

24. Jason Pumphrey

Was really impressed with this cover of The Soft Weed Factor
    A one man band!

25. Scope J