The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

2. [​IMG]

MAINSTREAM - VIC DICKENSON | JOE THOMAS (Atlantic) CD - 24-bit remaster

Tracks 1, 2, 4 & 6 - JOE THOMAS & His All-Star Group
    Joe Thomas (trumpet), Buddy Tate (tenor saxophone), Johnny Letman (trumpet), Dickie Wells (trombone), Buster Bailey (clarinet), Herbie Nichols (piano), Everett Barksdale (guitar), Bill Pemberton (bass), Jimmy Crawford (drums).

Tracks 3 & 5 -
    VIC DICKENSON & His All-Star Group
    Vic Dickenson (trombone), Hal Singer (tenor saxophone), Buck Clayton (trumpet), Herbie Hall (clarinet), Al Williams (piano), Danny Barker (guitar), Gene Ramey (bass), Marquis Foster (drums).

A tasty sounding compilation of tracks that were recorded for Atlantic Records in 1958. As one reviewer puts it -
    "The music on this LP swings all the way, it is frequently exciting, and now and then attains an exceptional level of creativity."

JazzcornerND and fingerpoppin like this.
  3. From one album that features Vic to another!

[​IMG]

Gentleman of the trombone - VIC DICKENSON (Storyville) CD Japanese edition issued 2017 via Solid/Ultra-Vybe
    with
    Vic Dickenson (trombone & vocal), Johnny Guarnieri (piano), Bill Pemberton (bass), Oliver Jackson (drums)

Recorded 1975. Includes 3 previously un-issued performances.
    The original "Gentleman of the trombone" album was first issued in France on Mahogany LP....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    fingerpoppin likes this.
  4. Completing back to back to back titles featuring the great Vic Dickenson.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Essential VIC DICKENSON (Vanguard) CD

A cracker 10 track compilation from tracks recorded for Vanguard between 1953 & 1954

Marzz and fingerpoppin like this.
  5. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

Sorry, I just saw your post:

The stereo sounds really great, nothing like early left/right - ping/pong fake stereo (more like dual mono) releases.

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which record is this about?

7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Going to listen to Horace Parlan's Blue Notes, starting with Us Three (Toshiba/Blue Note Japan TOCJ-4037, 1993). Recorded on April 20, 1960 with Horace Parlan (piano), George Tucker (bass) and Al Harewood (drums).

[​IMG]

Marzz, Starwanderer, SJR and 3 others like this.
  8. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

Really cannot get enough of Gogo Penguin's Ocean in a Drop EP. Sublime.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now, Horace Parlan's Speakin' My Piece (Audio Wave/Blue Note XRCD, 2009). Recorded on July 14, 1960 with Tommy Turrentine (trumpet), Stanley Turrentine (tenor saxophone), Horace Parlan (piano), George Tucker (bass) and Al Harewood (drums).

[​IMG]

Marzz, Starwanderer, SJR and 3 others like this.
  10. cds23

The Pepper Adams "10 to 4 at the 5 Spot" recording on Riverside, I posted photos of my copy here a few days ago.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Several Facebook pages report Wallace Roney has passed away . . . a COVID-19 victim. :eek:

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks. Obviously you were responding to someone's question, but I didn't see a quoted post and I had no idea, that's why I asked.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Very sad news, only three years after his wife Geri Allen died. He was only 59 and would have turned 60 next month.

14. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Vic and I haven't crossed paths before, but that is an awesome cover.

15. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Terrible news.

Rest in Peace Wallace Roney. Thanks for the music.

16. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

17. cds23

Hans, never heard this one - what makes it so specials that collectors go crazy and pay thousands of dollars for an original pressing? Is it so much better than Parlan's Quintet recordings?

18. cds23

Now that you're pointing me to it, I'm just realizing that the quote function doesn't work for some reason. I didn't copy the message I was answering to. The other day I had the same problem but saw it before posting and clicked on the "reply" button instead to quote the message I was referring to...strange

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

AllMusic has audio samples of the Parlan Mosaic BN set, so you can hear for yourself - at least you can get an impression. Just click on the arrow next to the title at the top of the page if you want to hear samples of the complete set without interruption. The first two discs have the trio sessions.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-complete-blue-note-horace-parlan-sessions-mw0001007267

cds23 likes this.
  20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've also had problems with the quote function, and clicking on the arrow in a quoted post doesn't work either, at least not for me. I reported it to a mod.

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ha, these quotes did work. I was just told by one of the mods that it is a known problem that will hopefully be fixed with the next update.

22. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

23. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

24. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

I have to admit that the only reason I bought this is because John Gilmore plays on it. And I am glad because it smokes, absolutely love it, well worth the $50.

[​IMG]

Mugrug12, Marzz, fingerpoppin and 8 others like this.
  25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Wednesday Wayne #1 — a favourite Blue Note Tone Poet release from last year recorded in 1965 but shelved until 1980 (?!) . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/1980/2019 Blue Note ‎– 33581
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series – KPG@CA

charlesp, Marzz, fingerpoppin and 7 others like this.