UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Thank you. That’s really kind and means a lot to me.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Find of the day!
    [​IMG]

3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Yes but which pressing is it? Is it brickwalled?

EG.

4. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

Oh, first pressing Lou Rawls :D

5. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

It's a bit rough in the midrange and you have to replace it after every play.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I found the mastering a bit soft, but I thought that was a good thing in this case.:righton:

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Too much low-end can be a problem.

EG.

8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Actually it's W C Handy.:laugh:

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

:laugh: Very good!

10. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Worth noting that as long as we have running water, other options for bottom cleaning are always available.

So if you can’t find physical media, you can always resort to streaming.

11. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Eric_Generic likes this.
  12. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Defo try and shop at smaller local shops .dropped in at Budgins on at back from the tip and had everything I was struggling to find , bread , pasta and ..toilet rolls ...anyone who needs a couple desperately private message me here and I’ll post out

Man at C&A, MC Rag and Dubmart like this.
  13. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

U.K. only !!

14. darkstarcrashes

darkstarcrashes Well-Known Member

I recently picked up the Brendel box set of Beethoven piano sonatas for a couple of quid in the Oxfam chazza in Holmfirth. Well pleased with that.

15. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Just in case anyone's interested, Music Magpie have the DGM Von Karajan 6cd box of Beethoven Symphonies on their ebay site.

It's currently £4.59, with free P&P, AND it's in their buy 2 get 10% off offer. So you could buy this along with something like Electric Ladyland for £3, and get both of them for less than £7!!!!

It seems like a real steal to me. I have the vinyl DGM box. I'm no expert on classical music, or the merits of individual performances, but I've always liked it, a lot.

Ebay item number 291652782859

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  16. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

I used to own the 1963 CDs and now only have that on Vinyl/mp3 I'm sorely tempted by this but I'm not sure I really need it, especially as it's not quite as well regarded, and I kinda want the Chailly which is supposed to be excellent. Thanks for the spot, though.

Damn I would be too. Two quid is an absolute steal for Brendel playing anything...

Grower of Mushrooms likes this.
  17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Really miss charity shops.

18. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Same here, feels like so long ago now I was last in one.

19. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Perhaps we could trade CDs (unwanted charity shop bargains of course)amongst ourselves?

I recently traded with billyedwards (the previous poster).

Hi Billy! How's it going?

20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Sounds like a cool idea!

I'd thought about giving all mine to my small collectors shop if/when he opens again, as a thank-you for years of pleasure digging for obscure gems in there, but I don't even know how long that might be...or if he'll decide to take early retirement or find a new job.

EG.

21. biilyedwards

biilyedwards Todd Browning's freak

Not too bad thanks, lots of work to do but lots to listen to and enjoy!

22. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I really object to queuing, especially queuing outside when it’s cold. So, I’ve taken to patronising my local indoor market - never more than one person in front of me, social distancing is observed, plus the produce is better.

Yes, my trips into town are very short now all the charity shops are shut. I do hope they can survive.

Re: the Karajan Beethoven cycle mentioned above. Karajan recorded three studio cycles, of which the 1963 one is supposedly the best. The earlier Philharmonia one is in mono, but is highly rate. It’s the only one of his cycles I don’t own. The later digital cycle is very common and was heavily promoted in the early day of CD. It’s not as highly rated but I picked it up for next to nothing a few years back and was surprised to find it excellent. So, really, you can’t go wrong with HvK in LvB!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. HughMacpherson

HughMacpherson Forum Resident

Sounds like an idea, but I have to caution against. We should not be venturing out to Post Office for non essential reasons. I was nearly posting a pic of my trade/dupes pile of CDs, but had 2nd thoughts Don't think we should be doing this :shrug:

24. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I have replaced my charity shop hunting with a little e bay hunting.
    It's not the same though. Firstly you don't get the high of completely not knowing what you might find. Secondly the money does not go to a good cause.
    I just picked up the remix of Lennon's Rock 'n' Roll. A big improvement on the original mix CD. Unusual for me to recommend a 2004 CD over an 80's one.

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you buy from me on eBay it goes to a good cause, buying food and paying the mortgage,:edthumbs: not got much on there though, all listed before lockdown and not sure I want to list any of the doubles I've been pulling out as I don't fancy trips to the post office although mine's only allowing one in at a time, I'd just rather limit my trips out to once a week for food.

MC Rag and Somerset Scholar like this.