UK Charity (Thrift) Shop CD Hunting

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by MC Rag, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Oh, but you do get the high of discovering your ‘VG’ condition CD has numerous scratches, a crumpled booklet and a shattered jewel case. Good times!

juss100, mozz, MC Rag and 3 others like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

We could leave the actual posting out of items until things ease up? Most of the fun would be in the exchanging and looking through what we all have.

EG.

MC Rag and serendipitydawg like this.
  3. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

We must have been buying off the same seller!

MC Rag, Eric_Generic and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I seem to get this a lot from Music Magpie ("expertly refurbished" haha) and World of Books. Seems like they hardly look at them before putting them on sale. You basically don't know what you're going to get till you open the package.

5. Bobby Morrow

MM and WOB are very hit and miss. I had a CD from the latter last week that was immaculate. Even the case was good! However, I’ve had titles from MM that weren’t worth the stamp they were posted with. More hits than misses, though.

Have a CD from WOB in the post now.. I’m hoping for the best.:)

6. Somerset Scholar

I wonder what Music Magpie give people for their CD's? I bet it is not much.

7. Bobby Morrow

As we all know, sometimes they’re not worth much in the first place.

:D

MrSka57 and mozz like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Mostly pennies and speaking to people who have sold to them they always claim a percentage aren't good enough to pay for so effectively get x number for free, not sure how long they'll carry on with their business model though, can see them not bothering to buy CDs sooner rather than later.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    MrSka57, Useaname and Eric_Generic like this.
  9. Somerset Scholar

With social distancing maybe their model might grow but then as others have said, is posting a CD an essential trip?
    I guess I could always add it into my daily walk.
    Been walking 3 miles a day now for over a week. Think I am getting slightly fitter.
    That's 21 miles per week. Over 500 miles in half a year.....now I'm thinking about The Proclaimers! Yikes!

10. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

I didn't add the caveat: if you live within walking distance of a Post Office that also sells food, as I do.

Even before the pandemic I viewed our posties as heroic public servants. They deserve our support at all times. Which in my book means giving them things to deliver. But I see your point.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  11. newelectricmuse

I had one from WOB recently that was listed as "like new" and sure enough it was! But most items are called "very good" which can mean anything from poor to excellent. To be fair sometimes if I've complained they've given me a discount, or even for cheap things given me a refund and let me keep it. But it's a lot of hassle with having to send photos etc. I'd rather have a better idea what I was getting when I order.

12. newelectricmuse

Guess you could pay and print off a paid label at home to avoid any potential contact at a post office and pop it in the post box on your "exercise" walk. But I'm holding back on ordering too much. I have a CD on order from eBay - the auction finished just before the lockdown we're in at the moment but I contacted the seller and said if you can't get out straight away don't worry too much. But that was on the 18th and it still hasn't been despatched - I hope he's OK.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Not sure if it's universal, but my local post office isn't taking shop returns at the moment, that could cause some people problems.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

No same here. They've stopped their Hermes Parcelshop service.

Amazon have extended all return windows to May 31st.

EG.

Dubmart likes this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Pennies.

Out of curiosity, I put in the barcode for a Tears For Fears DVD that they and WOB were selling for £23 or more.

They offered me £2.25.

No thanks!

EG.

16. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm debating this with myself too. I've stopped selling stuff on Discogs except to the UK, so all I have to do is use a post-box. Should I even be doing this? Anyone know any posties? are they happy to be delivering?

17. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always been very lucky with items listed as Very Good from Momox & World of Books. Most are totally scratch free.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  18. newelectricmuse

I've had some very mangled inlays - they are part of the product as well. I get the feeling they just glance at the disc. I had one where, among other things, the previous owner had highlighted some tracks with pink luminous highlighter!

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Spoke to my regular postman today, from about 25 feet, he seemed quite happy, but then he always is, I think he was hoping for voluntary redundancy before all this, they are consolidating routes, at least in the cities, this may speed that process up.

MC Rag and Eric_Generic like this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

We're getting no post at all around here, not sure why. I am expecting at least two fairly important (non-music!) things, so I wonder if they've cut back on the daily deliveries.

EG.

21. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

My last Magpie order had one mangled inlay (disc fine) and a version of Peter Gabriel's So (1986 pressing/barcode) that was an Italian release. Quite unusual, and condition was okay (very slightly yellowed/aged spine) but I'd expect a few people would have kittens over getting anything related to Italy at the moment.

EG.

MC Rag and newelectricmuse like this.
  22. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

That's not my experience at all. I've probably bought about 200 CDs from Music Magpie's ebay shop over the last 18 months.

I've only had to complain twice in that time, both due to being sent the wrong CD, and have been immediately refunded in both instances, with no requirement to return the wrong items.

Quality is usually VG or Ex. (Booklet and disc. I don't care about jewel cases.)

I've also bought some discs from World of Books via ebay without any problems.

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Have to agree ..music magpie have been very good for me too..any probs they have refunded in full with no quibble and let me keep the item

Grower of Mushrooms likes this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've had the same experience. I've had one MM item not arrive, but it almost certainly wasn't their fault. I've had a disc that was £6.99 be ex library with stamps, stickers and writing. Both times I got a refund with no problems or hassle at all. I've had no other problems with the very many CDs I've bought from them. I've had a lot of otherwise hard to find CDs from MM for a cheap price, usually around £7 rather than their usual £2 - £3 price.

World of Books have almost always been fine too. I got a water damaged Bob Dylan CD from them a couple of years ago which was over £7. They asked for photos but refunded when I sent them. It was the Rolling Thunder Bootleg Series double CD.

I buy a lot from both sellers, more from Music Magpie, and have been very happy with both. In probably over 200 CDs, I can only recall 2 poor condition ones. They still played and I got to keep them for free.

25. newelectricmuse

I haven't been a customer for as long as you, but my proportion of disappointments seems to be higher - maybe just unlucky. I should say I have had things I've been very pleased with from both.