DEVS : New SciFi show on Hulu/FX

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Mar 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Devs is a new series that just started yesterday (3/5/20) on Hulu, through Hulu's collaboration with FX. (So it's an FX series appearing exclusively on Hulu).

The central premise is a mysterious tech company in Silicon Valley (Google-ish), a program in quantum computing and someone who disappears.

It's extremely stylish and a bit claustrophobic. The sets are beautiful, especially the one housing the quantum computer, which looks exactly like a quantum computer (i.e. for which pics have been published). The first episode is gripping, the second not quite as much, but still interesting. It's not entirely clear exactly how this will play out.

The acting is a mixed bag. I am not enthralled by the female protagonist, but others are better.

mdm08033 and Vidiot like this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

An FX show NOT on FX.....
    how modern...:shake:

Old Mac likes this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

The “FX on Hulu” hub collects 40 of the network’s most popular and beloved series (Sons of Anarchy, American Horror Story, Nip/Tuck) with some of its underrated classics (Terriers, Thief) and new original shows that will exist exclusively on Hulu (Devs). The new hub is meant to replace FX Plus, a standalone ad-free streaming service that cost $6 a month and included 1,400 episodes of FX programming, that Disney shut down in August 2019. Certain popular series like American Crime Story and Pose aren’t available to stream on Hulu yet because of pre-existing licensing agreements with streamers like Netflix, an issue that also plagued Disney Plus at launch, too.

The hub will also include next-day streaming for shows airing on FX’s broadcast network; meaning that new episodes of shows like American Horror Story’s tenth season will be available to stream less than 24 hours after they air.​

FX on Hulu launches today, cementing Disney’s attempt to turn Hulu into a necessity

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

timind likes this.
  5. KAT

KAT Forum Resident

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Started watching 1st episode. Interesting enough for me to keep going, and I'm not a big SciFi fan.

7. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I enjoyed the first episode. I thought the lead's acting was fine. So many things on my list, and I haven't gotten to subsequent episodes yet, but I will.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agree about the lead. She's playing it like somebody who's in shock, which is appropriate. Halfway through the latest episode and am enjoying this a lot.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is it similar to Taken ( 2002)?

10. I've watched episode 3 and I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

11. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I love Alex Garland's style, so this was a must watch for me. I'm glad they revealed the twist in the middle of episode 2 so that you could stop wondering and focus on the story line.

The basic premise is similar to a few classic sci-fi short stories from back in the '50s and '60s that I suspect were the germ of this series, but without all of the atmosphere, and murder, and suicide.

JohnK

Vidiot and sberger like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think since Disney paid $71 billion dollars for Fox, they can pretty much use their TV shows and movies any way you want. Disney only owns 2/3 of Hulu, but they own 100% of Disney+. If they air the episodes on Disney+, they get all of the money vs. 2/3 of the money.

I will make a note to watch Devs because the promos look terrific.

13. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I've never seen Taken, but looking at the IMDB page, it seems completely different.

14. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Three episodes in, best show in years...

15. thegage

No, not at all. As I noted earlier, it's a spin on a tried-and-true sci-fi trope, but updated and with its creator's unique spin.

JohnK

kanakaris and alexpop like this.
  16. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Another pretty good episode.

kanakaris likes this.
  17. An intriguing one that when it ends lets you thinking "and now what?". I admit I have not the slightest idea where the plot may go from now on.

sberger likes this.
  18. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I like that. I like the actors, and the story line is keeping me in it. I'm not a big sci-fi fan so I don't know if that's good or not, but I'm enjoying it.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just don't like this cross-branding crap. This is the sort of thing Disney does particularly well...not in anybody's interests except Disney.

If it's an FX series, there are viewers on FX who would like to see it. If they're being leveraged into making good product that people have to pony-up extra for so they can help subsidize reruns of Mom and Family Guy, thanks no. They're even pimping it on their own network website, to get you over to competitor HULU, to make some money for them. I just don't see re-branding themselves as "FX on Hulu" as a good thing...not like I have any say in it.

But, if the only things left on FX to watch down the road is Season Three Of Whatever Came Out In 2004...why is part of my cable bill getting allocated to pay for a channel who demands even more money before we see any of their wares on another platform?

A little of my entertainment dollar is already going to "FX on FX". Where do I sign up for my refund?

Old Mac likes this.
  20. ries

ries Forum Resident

Loving this, and its really going into the deep end of quantum mechanica...Even Schrödinger's cat makes a cameo.

kanakaris likes this.
  21. thegage

A surprisingly uplifting--if still a bit bizarre--ending for an Alex Garland script. I really enjoyed this; challenging and engrossing at the same time.

JohnK

sberger, Kiko1974 and chrischerm like this.
  22. Is this the end of the season of the series? I really enjoyed it.

23. thegage

Yes, end of the season. I have not read whether or not there is a second, but from the resolution it doesn't seem like there would be one.

JohnK

Kiko1974 likes this.
  24. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

next show i am watching , seems promising

watched first 10 minutes , looks like it's gonna be interesting

25. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

Devs, Season 1, Episode 5 (aired March 27th, 2020)

Free’s ‘Oh I Wept’ was originally released in June, 1970 on the band’s third studio album Fire and Water. An album that was a massive success for the English band, as it hit the #2 spot on the UK’s album chart and then sat there for 18 weeks.

Andrew J, bpmd1962 and sberger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.