The Bee Gees: Song by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since we like to post specific songs in our general Bee Gees thread, I thought it might be fun to have a place where we can pay a little more attention to the very many fantastic songs written by the Brothers Gibb.

Rather than do it chronologically or alphabetically, which might take forever to get to songs we might want to chat about, I feel like it will be fun to just post songs we particularly feel like sharing at any given moment. My only request will be to space out the sharing of songs so that there is time for attention to be paid to the most recent one so things don't get too cluttered. If at some point we start getting duplicates, we can maybe organize a bit better!

A few ideas for this thread!
    - Include a YouTube embed of the song itself, in any version you prefer. If it is not a studio version, expand on why you picked the one you did!
    - Share any thoughts you have on the songs you pick
    - Point out any specific elements of the song you like the most. Nothing is too nerdy!

I can kick us off in a new comment!

2. skyblue17

I'll kick us off with one of the songs that was an early favorite for me, "My World."

As someone who got into the Bee Gees very late in their career, I had a lot of catching up to do. Since I was a young teen, my spending money was limited and I started my collection with quite a few compilations rather than studio albums. The one I chose to represent the Bee Gees' early years was Gold. Ultimately, it was a good choice, as "My World" is included there and became my favorite song on the album very quickly!

I've always been drawn to Robin's voice the most, and I think he shines here. The way he pulls that "what do I do to have you to staaaaa-aaaaay" and doesn't add his vibrato until the end of the phrase is still one of my favorite of his vocal moments. I also love the construction of this song, how Barry's verses are different from Robin's verses, which are different from the chorus. Barry taking us out with his strong "this is my world!" refrain is really nice as well.

It's an underrated song, I find! Even though it did end up on some "best of" compilations, it doesn't seem to get the love of the other "hits."

Ezmenerelda, Wordnat2, adadad and 7 others like this.
  3. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

It's a wonderful song. :agree:

Very simple but very catchy. Easy to sing along to.

This is from my favorite era of the Bee Gees.

granata and skyblue17 like this.
  4. Hadean75

From the Trafalgar album:

Walking Back To Waterloo

Definitely not as well known as the hit single from Trafalgar (How Can You Mend A Broken Heart), but I like that it's not necessarily a "traditional" song. Not a love song. Not really telling a story. Just a nonsensical song that's quite interesting and catchy.

5. Hadean75

From the 2 Years On album:

Alone Again

Another favorite of mine. Love the harmonies and the piano intro by Maurice. I believe this was a Robin/Maurice composition. Again, probably not as well known as the hit single from 2 Years On (Lonely Days).

6. Dandelion1967

Dandelion1967 My Favourite Parks Are Car Parks

From "Life in a Tin Can", very underrated album IMO.

"South Dakota Morning"

This song is beautiful. Tommy Morgan harmonica playing on this one is stunning.

7. skyblue17

I really love this piano intro! Not something they did very often! I like this era for the amount of Mo on piano it included.

Hadean75 likes this.
  8. skyblue17

This is a great one! Both songs you posted are from two of the albums I've spent the least time with, and make me want to give them a little more attention!

Hadean75 and JeffMo like this.
  9. Dandelion1967

Trafalgar is, in my opinion, one of their best albums.

Hadean75, skyblue17 and JeffMo like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I’ve been searching for a (reasonably priced) copy of this album on CD for years.

11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm playing that album today!

12. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Might be my favorite use of strings in Gibb catalog. Never fails to move me.

Hadean75, Dandelion1967 and skyblue17 like this.
  13. Dandelion1967

I think is their most underrated album. I love it, "Saw a New Morning" and "Living in Chicago" are both great, but "Method to My Madness" is my favourite track of the album, Robin singing is awesome on it.

Folknik and Hadean75 like this.
  14. Hadean75

The first time I heard Life In A Tin Can, I really didn't like it. I blame it on being a teenager at the time lol. :laugh:

Now that I'm older, I've come to really appreciate it's place in the catalog. Lots of lovely orchestration and vocals and harmonies. :agree:

Folknik and Dandelion1967 like this.
  15. Dandelion1967

Same thing happened to me, I didn't get it at first listenings, maybe due to the big change of style from previous efforts, but it has grown a lot in me over the years and now I love it.

granata and Hadean75 like this.
  16. Hadean75

Definitely give this time frame a little attention! :uhhuh:

1970-1975(ish) is my favorite era of the band. The albums are so warm and well done, and with the exception of the hits, are relatively unknown outside of the fanbase. I had (and still have) a blast exploring this particular era of the band. :)

17. Dandelion1967

I'm happy that you have included 1975 in your favourite era. "Main Course" is probably my favourite Bee Gees album from the 70s

Jrr, Jarleboy, JeffMo and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hadean75

It's one of my all-time favorite albums, period. :righton:

It was like the perfect blend of their "old" sound (Country Lanes, Come On Over, etc) and their "new" sound (Jive Talkin', Nights On Broadway, Fanny Be Tender, etc).

LouieG, Jrr, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hadean75

skyblue17, buzzzx and JeffMo like this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I don't care if it was a chart failure. One of my favorites:

Bee Gees - If I Only Had My Mind On Something Else

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

And another low charter that's aces in my book.

Bee Gees - Charade

Jrr, Jarleboy, skyblue17 and 2 others like this.
  22. Hadean75

Any song that features a clarinet (and a clarinet solo!) is awesome in my book. :agree:

I also used to play clarinet, so I may be a little biased with that opinion. :laugh:

Oh well lol. Mr. Natural is a massively underrated album. It's in my top 3 Bee Gees albums. :love:

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Have you heard the unreleased companion, A Kick In The Head Is Worth Eight In The Pants?

There are boots of it “out there” and I think it is the stronger set of songs from those 1972 sessions in LA. A handful of cuts were officially released on Tales box and “Elisa” is stunningly beautiful.

granata, peachyg72, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  24. skyblue17

Speaking of A Kick in the Head...

I really dig this song, but that is as someone who can never get enough of Robin experimenting with a singing style or vocal trick he doesn't use many other places. He really doesn't even sound like himself here, except that the vibrato sneaks in from time to time. Then he goes a little bananas at the end, which I love!

Would love to get a little input as to if we should slow down a little here or just keep posting whatever and the songs will be there for catching up when people wander in!

25. Hadean75

It's such an odd song, but I love it anyways lol. :love:

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.