The Mike and Mickey Show Live (2020 cd)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

Not likely, according to Sandoval on a recent Zilch podcast.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  2. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Damn.

Hep Alien, DaveJ, Guy Smiley and 2 others like this.
  3. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I loved this tour.
    I've seen The Monkees at least a dozen times since 1986.
    This tour was the best.
    The mix on this CD is absolutely stunning.
    I wish all live albums sounded this fantastic.
    What a great document!

And like always, Listen to the Band sends me off floating with a tear in my eye.
    The version here couldn't be any better.
    Bravo.

4. Elliottmarx

Sandoval's explanation though deserves contemplation.
    He stated on Zilch! that if you film at a venue you have to pay a (substantial) fee
    for the naming rights. If you look carefully at the liner notes for the CD there is no
    documentation detailing where each track was recorded. It is anonymous.
    On a DVD though, it would be obvious where it was filmed and Rhino would
    then be on the hook to pay for those rights.

I'd never heard this before.

Hep Alien, Galley, DaveJ and 4 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Not ALBMALBY .. Daydream Believer was the huge Davy sung hit. That's all that was needed. That and For Pete's Sake.

Grand_Ennui, DaveJ and Guy Smiley like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Then do a Kickstarter project

Hep Alien, DaveJ, Tord and 3 others like this.
  7. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Is there any information on where this album was recorded?

8. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

not to be an a@@, but it's Micky not Mickey. that darn "E"!!

chad

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A rarity, Peter Tork performing 'Good Clean Fun' from the 1987 Monkees tour.

10. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

No, just "March 2019".

11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

someone on FB asked Andrew if the booklet would have that information and andrew said "absolutely not."

possibly because many of the songs could be mixes of various dates.

Hep Alien and Elliottmarx like this.
  12. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

13. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

That's my guess too - songs are pieced together from multiple performances.

BTW, I'm really enjoying this disc, even the played-out hits I wouldn't normally seek out. The mix and energy are good throughout. I'm glad they've retained some dialogue/patter. And while I miss "Good Clean Fun", I feel practically blessed to have a new Monkees live disc in 2020 with so many wonderful, underplayed deep cuts on it.

14. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Mike & Mickey Show?! :cop: Reported!

15. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I think it used to be an issue if you caught the venue's name/logo in the shots, but I guess things've changed.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  16. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Bah! I'd take ALBMALBY on the live album any day for a project like this. Suits Dol/Nez vocals much more than DB.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'm still in hopes of getting my copies. I was never sent a link or code. I contacted the venue, Ticketmaster, and an email I saw on a M&M facebook post. This is something my brother and I like to do and it'd be nice to get a disc to him so we can both enjoy it while we can't actually see one another for some time.

905 likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Also for those that keep asking about a dvd/bluray, Andrew answered the same question a little while back on Facebook with this answer:

"... just so you understand the reality. The cost of such a project would mean laying out about $100-150,000.00 with zero money going to The Monkees personally. Rhino would just as likely put the entire album out as a box set of 78rpm discs. The box set of their television series couldn’t even sell 10,000 copies in four years. I think people need to face the truth that the DVD business is largely a thing of the past for most companies. https://www.riaa.com/.../Mid-Year-2019-RIAA-Music..."

Hep Alien and Elliottmarx like this.
  19. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

How were they able to film and release videos of two songs (Clarksville and Door into Summer)?

Oh the irony of having so many visual mediums but now it’s cost prohibitive to produce. While a Blu-ray would be great, would it be possible to do just a digital download of it instead? Maybe tack on $ to the concert ticket price and offer the digital download with the price of admission.

Same with the tv series, if the Blu-ray wasn’t selling, why not recoup some costs of the project by offering if for digital sale through amazon or apple.

DaveJ and Guy Smiley like this.
  20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Any audible tinkering with vocals or not? I don’t mind using different bits from live performances, but (noticeable) pitch correction like the Beach Boys C50 CD is a big no-no.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I think Nez leaves the stage during ALBMALBY

Guy Smiley likes this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Is he specifically talking about the Oz show or in general? Maybe a less famous place would be asking for less money.

How disappointing but thanks to Sandoval for even explaining. I'm sure he would if he could.

Anyway, I dunno, I guess it is what it is, but I can't really stomach the irony at the moment of live acts not putting out live DVDs in age where the tech is so cheap, accessible and gets great results...because of astronomical licensing costs to the venues, to show what is essentially just their stage. It's so...unreasonable. But whatevs.

Elliottmarx and D-rock like this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

It is odd that the TV show’s never been made available digitally, or via a streaming service.

And, has been noted, partnering with a TV network (AXS, or perhaps PBS depending on how much their past with Nez might be an issue) or a streaming service would seem to be a way to defray costs.

It is odd that videos were made, released online, but a physical release or, say, Netflix release isn’t in the cards.

D-rock likes this.
  24. Elliottmarx

I don't hear anything like that at all.
    It's very natural sounding.
    There was one track where, on first listen, I could hear a noise gate closing on the lead vocal on every word. But on second listen I don't hear that at all.
    This is an excellent sounding collection. The production is better than any live album I can think of off the top of my head.

Hep Alien, Grampire, agundy and 4 others like this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't know. I just copied and pasted it. Go look at his facebook posts. Everyone that is Mike and Micky based, someone asks the same question. Not sure why people think these things are cheap and Rhino is the company it was 20 years ago.

PhoffiFozz and JuanTCB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.