The Mike and Mickey Show Live (2020 cd)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't recall if it was in general or the Oz show. He's been asked this a bunch of times and we've all read the answers that it would cost too much. It's Rhino calling the shots and we're lucky they want to do anything Monkees related at all. Sure, the cheap technology is there but everyone wants a piece of the pie now. I don't think it's actually making videos that cost a lot. It's all the licensing fees.

Hep Alien, RobRoyF and j_rocker like this.
  2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

According to Sandoval on Zilch!, the reason we don't have Good Clean Fun is because it was the first song of the night, and all performances have something wrong with them, one way or another, as sound crew gets the balance right. He concedes it would be possible to Frankenstein something though.
    As far as Porpoise Song being omitted is because they chose As We Go Along as the slow song from Head, due to the rarity of it being performed live.
    However Christian worked up an excellent mix of Porpoise - I would expect the two tracks to come out eventually.

3. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Editing the video shouldn't cost too much. Just sync up all the camera time codes, lay it on a timeline and pick and choose what you want. More time would be spent on the audio, I imagine.

The venue that wants an expensive licensing fee for use of the space and name might be willing to negotiate a new cost if it sits empty for a while, sadly,

Beaneydave likes this.
  4. Brian999

Brian999 SLY

Saw this tour the summer of 2018. Didnt like it. Way too many people on stage I lost count. Micky and Mike barely made eye contact with each other, and Mike's mic was barely audible. Didnt seem like Mike was into it at all,

5. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

Don’t forget Take A Giant Step. I have no idea why it was left off, but the 2018/2019 mix of this song was the best I’ve ever heard it. I was blown away and very sad to see that it didn’t make the cut. Hoping for a RSD with those three tracks.

Hep Alien, D-rock, BadJack and 4 others like this.
  6. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

What about "Hangin' Round"?

Hep Alien, D-rock, pobbard and 3 others like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

This just popped up in my youtube 'rithms, Near full show. Those who have and will miss out, I guess this is as close we can get you:

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Probably his smoke break. ;)

9. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Giant Step was a highlight for usre

10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Not a track I usually throw on. But, they did an excellent job. Made me revisit it.

MarkTheShark likes this.
  11. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The day before summer started in 2018 was the last show before Mike's heart attack. There was talk of him being sluggish at the time. I saw them later in March 2019 and it was magnificent! I didn't pay attention to how often they looked at each other. It's not something I would be concerned with.

12. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Oh yeah! This was an absolute highlight of both March 2019 shows I saw - a tour de force. I'd say there's at least 2-3 songs on the final CD I'd trade for "Hangin' Round", but at 78+ minutes I really can't complain.

Would be delight to have it show up on a future expanded release, though.

Guy Smiley, D-rock, DaveJ and 2 others like this.
  13. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

It just hit me-the current M&M band, especially with Jolly Nez, could EASILY pull this one off and I bet it would do well for a dance-y, uptempo number in the show:

14. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Well Nez sure sounds good on the 2019 recordings on the album. Even if some performances are “Frankenstein’d” from more than recording, it all sound wonderful. Very happy with what we got.

I suspect those early reports of Nez sounding/looking “sluggish” and having problems had everything to do with his health issues. Thank goodness he got the care he needed and seems happy (and high) now.

From what I’ve seen/heard/read he’s been happy with these M&M shows. If he weren’t, I doubt he’d still be doing them.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Yeah! How did I not realize “Hangin’ Round” was missing?

Along with GCF and “Porpoise Song” they need to come up with some way to get extra songs to the fans.

It’s an essential “Mike” song, even though he didn’t write it. Would love a live version from this smokin’ band!

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Shouldn't they be doing something like that (getting the balance right) during a pre-show soundcheck?

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Yes, I would think so - but only certain shows were recorded, the bulk of them before Nesmith's heart attack.
    When he got back to good health and completed the tour, everyone was in agreement that he sounded much better vocally.
    So they recorded more shows from the make-up leg of the tour. I assume that the Nesmith leads on the album come from that leg.
    But again, only a finite amount of shows were recorded.

Still Sandoval admits that they do have a workable version of the song and of Porpoise. I don't recall if he spoke about Hanging 'Round or Giant Step.

18. Houston_Music_Fan

Houston_Music_Fan Forum Resident

Re. Sandoval's comment that the TV series didn't sell well: it's because of the price. I'm a big Monkees fan, and eventually I'll give in and buy the set. But I've waited a long time for the price to drop, and it never did. Last time I checked it was $200! That's probably 4 x as much as other classics of the era like Star Trek and Batman.

Hep Alien, 905, Tord and 1 other person like this.
  19. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Well, maybe he wasn't feeling too well at the time. They did postpone several dates.
    When I saw them in Albany last year, Mike was looking like he was enjoying himself.

D-rock, Brian999 and AlmanacZinger like this.
  20. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

I’m involved in recording hundreds of hours of live music every year, and that only works up to a point - things do sound different when you get an audience into a room (sometimes even in the way the musicians play) and the opening number is when the recording engineers have the opportunity to sort the balance out in the real environment.

That’s not to say it can’t be remixed after the event though.

21. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

With the TV series I would imagine it’s as simple as Rhino not having the rights to put it on sale via streaming or download platforms.

And of course the cost of producing a concert film isn’t so much in the manufacture of the discs as it is in filming it in the first place so offering it as a download isn’t really a saving, although I could see how that might work depending on the ticket economics, Rhino not being the tour promoters themselves.

I’ve worked in this area for over 40 years, and Andrew’s estimate of 100/150k to film the show & release it seems about right , if not a little low. Doing a couple of songs can be done fairly cheaply but a full concert film is a very different beast.

Unless you want a really low rent fixed camera limited angle production, then you’re going to have to hire between 6 & 10 camera operators, a director, a producer, sound technicians, picture technicians, an audio/visual truck, possibly one of each, all the associated support staff, extra lighting, extra riggers, pay the venue facility fees, pay the musicians, insurance, catering - it goes on and on...And you might want to do it twice for aesthetic insurance.

That’s not counting the pre-production planning period of course - it’s not like everybody just turns up on the day & off you go...

Then you’re looking at at least 5 days editing if not more, and almost certainly a ton of little technical things that need to be smoothed out, approvals, re-edits etc etc

It all adds up, and I can see how Rhino might be unwilling to commit that sort of money...

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Just to clarify (not that it matters) but is this estimate is for the whole project filmed and slapped onto to disc or just the rights to tape at the venue?

Does anyone know what Jones paid to tape the '96 UK gigs? He had a few professionally done, correct?

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Makes me wonder how much Beastie Boys had to shell out for this at Madison Square Garden. Not only did they have a professional crew tape it but they gave like 50 cameras to random crowd-goers throughout the venue to tape it. (Note: I was at this gig, front row, center stage in the pit and the guy next to me got a close-up shot in the movie but they cut me out! :laugh: ) This gig was PHENOMENAL! The entire venue was this ball of non-stop energy. It was glorious.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  24. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Okay, so some songs are left out because the CD is at capacity where it stands now. That makes sense to me. They probably weighed the options, lose some songs or make it 2 CDs, and went with what seemed the more viable choice.

I sure would like to have the missing songs released in some form somewhere down the line.

So what was involved in getting that Bomb Factory concert played on AXS? Would it be feasible for them to do something like that? (I know Nez is a perfectionist, maybe he wouldn't go for a live telecast?)

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Alright, so... there's all these little funny jokes about Nez smoking and being high. I'm guessing it's something from the Q&A a few days ago. Can this still be seen anywhere? I missed it. If Nez is being whacky, I want to see it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.