Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Anyway, regardless of the degree of Richard's involvement in V34, I agree that Personal Shopper sounds a little like a poor man's version of Voyage 34.

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I think for me, spending a few days away from the track distracted by other new albums coming out, revisiting this track I like it because it is a revisit of the groove aspect of Voyage 34 but with elements of pop music that Steven has yet to put into his music

The "ABBA sections" have a hook that had me sold on the track back when all we had what that Instagram clip of 5 seconds of it. It is catchy and extremely well written in my opinion, a fantastic motif to have pop up throughout the track

There is a maturity in the music here that is a clear progression from his pure experimental music from the early to mid 90s yet is a nod to it at the same time. To me that takes a lot of skill and to my ears it was executed very well

I absolutely cannot wait to hear the album in full. Steven is one of the rare artists where every musical venture has been a hit for me, no misses so far

3. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

It was a figure of speech, but I think you understand what I tried to say anyway.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  4. HotelYorba101

Well said!

Rufus rag and juanmanuel like this.
  5. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

6. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

Yeah!!!!!. Great Steven video!!!!

7. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Looks like Wilson has a helluva vinyl collection!

RicB likes this.
  8. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Looks like there are more than a few box sets in there too.

Chrome_Head and RicB like this.
  9. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Don't forget, boys and girls: there may be another song to hear at 8 AM this Monday morning (that's Boston/New York time; adjust accordingly), per the countdown that had been on thefuturebites.com but which is no longer there...

10. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I agree with this 100%. SW's musical journey has been one of the most compelling of anyone I can think of over the last 25 years, and I'm always excited to see where it goes.

11. manco

manco Forum Resident

Damn, I don't want to hear any more so as to not spoil the album. But I'm tempted because of corona-chan.

12. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

New track posted King Ghost

It wont quell any of the debate. I like it on first listen..

13. Sadcafe

The deluxe version is including an instrumental version of the album. That is peeking my interest as much as the main album at this point in time. King Ghost had similar motifs to Song of I (which I love) but the lyrics sound a bit clumsy on the first few listens..

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Another weak track, thanks Steven, you can saved my money!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  15. HotelYorba101

I guess all in all I am really glad this recent direction SW is taking is right up my alley.

Another strong track and another reason why I am devoting money to this album

16. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

Listening to "King Ghost" and.... is he doing "Prince" thing? Kind of cliché but not bad for me. I'm not sure who the guest vocal is.. .

17. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

Sir Elton John: DELUXE EDITION BOX SET

I couldn't pre-order Deluxe edition due to horrible shipping fee. I'll stuck to blu-ray or digital download.
    Maybe I don't like this album as much as his previous albums but It's gonna be enjoyable IMO

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  18. HotelYorba101

I am hearing a nice mix of a bunch of things here. Sign O' The Times era Prince, Tricky/Massive Attack, Daft Punk, etc. I think this track so far, along with "The Same Asylum As Before" have been Steven's strongest performances regarding his falsetto range

Nice sound design and synth arpeggiation on this track too. "Song of I" and this are definitely born from the same influences

MikeManaic61, Separan and Rufus rag like this.
  19. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

I don't have Dolby Atmos system but wonder how sound Atmos mix for "electronic pop album". Also, it is first Steven Wilson Dolby Atmos mix! Maybe he will do another Atmos mix for classic albums.

20. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

In 4 1/2 blu-ray, He barely hits the note in Don't Hate Me chorus. Maybe falsetto is alternate choice for his vocal performance. just my opinion.

21. Sadcafe

I seem to remember him saying something about getting vocal training before To The Bone and it had helped him find his true voice..

22. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

Oh I didn't read that interview... I'll check out. Thanks.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe this one sounds good as instrumental album.

24. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

King Ghost...interesting. Might this album be his first true "electronic" album?
    I like the track and also the fact SW isn't repeating himself endlessly.

Ah, at the end there is "that synth" again! (apparently an ARP 2600, I read somewhere).

Blu Ray for me, definitely. I want to listen to these tracks in surround, as always! No deluxe, no CD, no vinyl.

25. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

King Ghost has done what ghosts do... it's disappeared.

Separan and drum_cas like this.