Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Can I just say that I love it when artists do something that really annoys some of their established fan base who want them to keep doing the same thing over and over?

It shows they’re doing something right, in my opinion.

MungoMusic, snkcube, walrus and 10 others like this.
  2. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

So which one is it? As I mentioned several times before, I feel like he's repeating what he's done with To The Bone, which annoys me, and I really WANT him to move on.
    So is he doing something new, or is this just another attempt at a concise "pop" record, influenced by Prince, Trip-Hop, ABBA, et cetera et cetera?

What I can say with confidence is:
    His established fanbase don't want another PT record. They don't want another HCE or Raven.
    Even if they did, Steven already knows he already nailed it on his first attempt and the fans know he won't do it again.
    All we want from SW is something new, and more importantly, good.

3. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Mystery. The clip was on line but not from the Steven Wilson site. It has been taken down. In addition the countdown stopped being shown a couple of days ago.....

St. Troy likes this.
  4. magister345

magister345 Forum Resident

Everybody who thinks that "To the bone" is a pop album should listen to some Bananarama or Culture Club and then eventually revise their opinion...

5. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Just how much more of these do you need? To The Bone is unashamedly a pop record.
    Seriously, people, To The Bone was a good pop record with one awkward proggy tune (Detonation) mixed in.

6. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Inspired by pop, but executed by an artist with a much broader musical worldview that informs what he does whether he wants it to or not. As someone who spent a sh!tload of time listening to Duran Duran, I feel qualified (pre-qualified?) to say TTB isn’t what many of us think of as “pop.” (No, my use of the word “qualified” doesn’t mean I seriously believe my opinion carries some kind of significance.)

7. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

What account had posted it? Anything possibly connected to SW?

8. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I wonder what happened with this. My best guess (which isn't saying much) is that the release has been delayed and promotional steps such as release of the next track are as well, but they don't have dates yet since production facilities are still closed and no one knows when they'll open, so they remain mum for now.

octopus92 likes this.
  9. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Something got out of sync.

On Amazon, the MP3 version of the album shows (at least as I write this) that you can buy King Ghost, but when you try, it won’t let you make the purchase.

On iTunes, the song shows about a 70% bar in the Popularity column which I believe is only available after a song is available for purchase. So I’m guessing it was available for a very short amount of time before being pulled.

And if I was a betting person, I imagine the next official announcement we hear will be one about a delayed release of the full album.

Or, maybe it was a tech-fart and the song will be available in the next day or so.

10. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Listened to the new song this morning, loved it, the beats reminder me the How To Destroy Angels LP - played on real analog synth instruments, cool and modern sounding.

Came here for laughs (most folks here will hate this direction), but seems like I have to wait with that for a day or two :)

11. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I wish I had managed to hear it...

Musicisthebest likes this.
  12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

In regards to "which one is it", to me it is not an either/or. Drawing on past artists for influence to create something sonically unique in his canon, which is exactly what he is doing to my ears. He is just following his musical muse, just as any artist should

I don't hear these songs being simply ground covered in To The Bone, even the 2 songs on that album that are more electronic and similar in style have a different intention. Permanating and Song of I are fairly different to Personal Shopper for example

Ultimately it just comes down to subjective preferences. I know you have mentioned many times in this thread that you want him to "move on" while I know I have said I am enjoying this specific style he is into for this record and so all in all is just comes down to what we personally cling to sonically. I am really personally getting a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment out of these new songs so far and that is all I want out of any new album from any artist

13. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

If anyone comes across an unofficial link to King Ghost, that would probably be unethical and against this website's terms, so you really shouldn't do that, or call attention to it in anyway...

14. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Now that's a teaser trailer!

15. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

To The Bone (the title song) qualifies as progressive pop.
    Nowhere Now, Pariah, Asylum, Song Of I, Blank Tapes, Permanating... aren't those all pop?
    Refuge could be borderline prog. Detonation is prog. I have no problem calling this a pop record when more than half of it is pop.
    Pop has many forms. Frank Zappa has pop songs. If you consider The Beatles, ABBA, Prince, Peter Gabriel (So) all pop, isn't To The Bone a pop record?
    I don't know why some of you pick examples such as Duran Duran, Bananarama or Culture Club, all new wave synthpop bands from the 80s, and say "This is not pop".

Enough with To The Bone. In my honest opinion, if you don't consider it pop, there's a problem with you guys, not me.

After listening to two songs, I won't be surprised if this ranks as one of his worst after all is said and done.
    This opinion and the likes this post received puzzles me the most, because it's simply not true.
    When Roger Waters released Radio KAOS, his established fan base hated it. It's one of his worst, although it's not a bad album after all.
    But is it better than Amused To Death? Many will say no.
    Same with Mike Oldfield's Man on the Rocks, Dylan's Under the Red Sky, Neil Young's Trans, etc.

Sometimes, when a musician's established fan base hates something new, it's not because they want him to do the same thing over and over.
    More often than not, it's because it shows that the musician they like is trying too hard to make something work, when it's evidently not his strong suit.
    Everyone needs somebody who would say no.

16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

All I know is I have loved the two songs and find it extremely promising if the rest of the album is of the same quality. I am glad that Steven is chasing his musical muse - even if some people here and there may not be into this material, and so be it

But I am loving it so far and think that is the great thing about Steven. There is an album for everyone somewhere in his canon

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's a terrible album, really bad music with an overblown ridiculous plot. IMO.

18. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

If one could imagine a version without that horrible 80's influence, the songs are not that bad. Just like AMLOR.
    Some B-sides were better than some of the A-sides, and the flow of the original album wasn't great.
    So I always listen to Project KAOS instead of the original. On a side note, live shows were phenomenal. Shame it wasn't recorded professionally.

19. Agree on the ridiculous plot, but there are some good tracks here (perhaps the 80s production is a bit off-putting ). I preferred it to the original A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

I remember making a CD compilation merging both albums - Momentary KAOS. I can't remember the track listing but it was mostly from KAOS. I think with all the time I now seem to have I may compile a new version using the 2019 AMLOR.

In 1987 I bought all the CD singles released from both albums (plus When The Wind Blows). I was suffering from a Pink Floyd deficiency.

And back on topic I've followed Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree for 25 years. So glad he records and releases whatever takes his fancy, rather than produce what is expected.

20. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Speaking for myself, I used DD as an example of something that is pop (an entity not capable of half the things appearing on TTB).

Part of what's going on is that people apply the word "pop" in different ways. I think many (including SW) call anything remotely accessible "pop." I consider accessible things like Nowhere Now and People Who Eat Darkness to be regular rock, but not "pop."

21. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

This.
    I've been watching the forum the last few days as I thought a new track was to appear. Well, apparently it did. And I missed it. Ugh.
    And for the record, I like Personal Shopper. :agree:

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Steven is not doing something new at all. He's doing more of the same now.
    In fact, he's been doing electronic things since the very early days of Porcupine Tree.
    Even the subject matter of this "new" album has been covered to death

As I've posted before, the problem is not if this is prog, pop or whatever. The problem is the terrible, embarrasing "quality" of the music he's been putting out for the last years.
    He seems to be more interested pretending to be the new Bowie or Prince rather than writing good music again.

23. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

Apparently if you pre ordered the album via iTunes, King Ghost was instantly downloaded into your account yesterday. According to some in the Reddit forums. Who, by the way, seem to be more complimentary of the track than some here. I look forward to it. Especially if it's in the Song Of I spectrum. But the track, as of now, is not available. :confused:

24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm trying to figure out what has been terrible or embarrassing about his music over the last few years. I get that a lot of people don't like Permanating. Heck, I don't love the song as it doesn't fit the flow of To The Bone in my opinion. But to call out an artist for embarrassing himself, that seems a bit harsh, especially because there are some amazing songs on the last album.

25. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Of course, I remember people saying he used to pretend to be the new King Crimson or Pink Floyd...