Movie You Love but Think Not Many Others Have Seen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MortSahlFan, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Not for everyone, but I love it. Sleazy, trashy, pitch-black humor and Reese Witherspoon's finest performance ever, she still hasn't matched it.

She also hates the movie and refuses to admit it exists - as does co-star Kiefer Sutherland, who has said he took on the role because Oliver STone dared him to and told him he wasn't man enough to do it.

2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

One of my favorite B-movies. Needs a BluRay release. Great dialogue!

PhilBorder likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I got a review copy for free and dumped it as quickly as possible! :D

5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Heart Like A Wheel

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I have an original poster framed in my office. Very inspirational
    [​IMG]

64FALCON, harmonica98, Jerry and 2 others like this.
  7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:righton:

Funny I hadn't heard about either of them disowning the film, but I haven't checked in years and years.

Though I saw it in the theater (twice in fact) when when it was first released circa 1995/1996. Most everywhere, there was an intensely negative reaction to it, initially. From reviewers, to friends I trusted, to word of mouth I heard from strangers.

Tim S likes this.
  8. rolli

rolli Forum Resident

Oh yes... one of my favorites! Michael Sarrazin also starred (who you might remember from “Harry In Your Pocket”). Let’s see... how did that go... MBSDDST (master of backstabbin’... dirty dealin’... and... I forget what the ‘st’ stood for)... oh and don t forget Sue Lyon is in the supporting cast too... A very entertaining little film.

64FALCON and runofthemill like this.
  9. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

Nothing Lasts Forever (1984)
    The Chambermaid on the Titanic (1997)
    Black Test Car (1962)
    Pennies From Heaven (1981)
    Pedicab Driver (1989)
    Casshern (2004)

none of these have made it to blu-ray so far as I’m aware, or even been released officially, in the case of Nothing Lasts Forever, but I’d love upgrades of them all from the various digital copies I have.

10. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Forgot about this one - freakin' disturbing!

bopdd and Larry Mc like this.
  11. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  12. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Straight Time -- Dustin Hoffman gets out of jail but runs into some trouble while trying to stay clean.

The Heavenly Kid -- An 80s b-movie about a 1950s greaser who dies in a car wreck and comes back as an angel to help a good-hearted nerd learn to be cool. Really cheesy, but the film has a lot of heart.

Night Moves -- The 1975 Arthur Penn noir thriller with Gene Hackman and Melanie Griffith, not the recent Jessie Eisenberg flick with the same name.

The Stoned Age -- Similar to Dazed & Confused, but actually funnier and more profound IMO.

Saint Jack -- Peter Bogdanovich shot this unheralded gem on location in Singapore. Ben Gazzara is amazing in the titular role.

The Good Shepard -- About as obscure as a movie with Matt Damon and Robert DeNiro can be (DeNiro directed). I don't see this one discussed much these days, but it's an immersive, epic spy flick.

The Slums of Beverly Hills -- Natasha Leone won my heart with this one. Alan Arkin is also great as her scheming dad.

Auto-Focus -- Paul Schroeder's darkly comic Bob Crane bio-drama features amazing performances from Willem Dafoe and Greg Kinnear.

Light Sleeper -- Schroeder and Dafoe again; this is more along the lines of Taxi Driver or American Gigolo. Superb film.

Safe Men -- Sam Rockwell and Steve Zahn are hilarious as a pair of unwitting safecrackers.

Grandma's Boy -- Okay, so it's a Happy Madison production, but for some reason I still find this movie hilarious, and thankfully Adam Sandler does not appear in it.

unclefred likes this.
  13. I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With (2007)

Jeff Garlin stars and directs. Nice little movie.

14. Repo! The Genetic Opera

15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

This is my favourite western. I ripped it off the TV about fifteen years ago? I watch it a couple of times a year.
    So many excellent characters and sub plots.

It was sad to read in 2014 that Elizabeth Peña, had died. I thought she was great in this, hers was such an unnecessary death.

This scene says it all.

arley, unclefred, Tim S and 1 other person like this.
  16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

My Brother was on the crew for this movie. He is even in it (very briefly). He plays a cop eating a donut in the background of one scene. He had long hair at the time so they tied it back and filmed it so you couldn't see where it was tied back.

SandAndGlass and Tim S like this.
  17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Let's hear it for "The Stoned Age" and "Slums Of Beverly hills"! Two good ones.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  18. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Deep Cover (1992)... terrific, atmospheric narco-thriller with Larry Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum... directed by Bill Duke (Mac from Predator, no less!);

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  19. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Time (2006) - A South Korean drama directed by Kim Ki-Duk.

I'm not much for dramas but this one caught my attention in just one partial viewing and I ended up purchasing it. It starts off simply but ends up going a way you don't expect.

20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Lone star is a very good film. I was lucky enough to catch it in the theatre. Good re-watch value, too.

21. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Forum Resident

22. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Submission (Scandalo) - the most underwatched Criterion worthy film ever.
    One Night Stand (1984) - the 2nd most underwatched Criterion worthy film ever.
    Paperhouse - better than Candyman.
    Lemora - it has a cult following though.

Tim S likes this.
  23. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Not sure how widely seen Akira Kurosawa's films are in the U.S. I think a fair number of people have seen Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress because of the interest generated by the remakes (The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars and Star Wars, respectively) but some others, while superb, may be less known.

Stray Dog (1949) - his first collaboration with Toshiro Mifune; about a policeman's search for his stolen gun.
    Throne of Blood (1957) - a samurai version of Macbeth.
    Sanjuro (1962) - the lesser known sequel to Yojimbo.
    High and Low (1963) - a kidnapping gone wrong.

Also recommended.

Kwaidan (1965) - a collection of four obake (ghost) stories directed by Masaki Kobayashi.
    Mystery Train (1989) - directed by Jim Jarmusch; a night in Memphis seen through the eyes of three sets of characters.

24. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I really like Paperhouse, but I don't think it's comparable to Candy Man, they are really different types of films.

25. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Okay, but I only compared them because they are both by the same director, and Candyman gets all the press.

Tim S likes this.