Binge-worthy TV Shows for Isolation

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think it can work with certain kinds of shows. Some audiences are so over-the-top, it gets crazy and intrusive. I worked on over a hundred of the Will & Grace episodes, and those are pretty dated today... but the laughter is (mostly) genuine. Noted Hollywood writer Ken Levine has done several essays on the pros and cons of laugh tracks on his website:

By Ken Levine: Search results for laugh track

Hey, I had no idea that this was available. I didn't think the show was too bad. Is it on HBO Now?

rmath84 likes this.
  2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

In my estimation, there are precious few as well...

The Streets of San Francisco
    Riptide
    Barney Miller
    The Bob Newhart Show
    M Squad
    Have Gun, Will Travel
    Wanted Dead or Alive

3. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Will and Grace is a perfect example of a show that was super fun to work on but hasn't dated well. The writers were on the floor re-writing gags that fell flat. The audience was all in. A good time was had for all which is the best one can hope for in a TV show.

Eric McCormack and I were headed for the exit door from the sound stage at the same time. He bowed and said "Age before Beauty" with a wink. Great memories.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Honeymooners Lost Episodes box set...FABULOUS!

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Merciless" is a relative term in this case. As in...I'm pretty sure you got paid for your work, yes...? ;)

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

The cast and crew are all super people, though Debra Messing can be a bit of a handful sometimes.

7. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

Never watched Will and Grace but McCormack is great on Travelers. Great Sci Fi. Netflix.

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Merciless as applies to how quickly they cancel shows. They have no tolerance for taking the time to see if a show finds an audience, and often contribute to its’ demise by changing the showtime and day abruptly so the audience can’t find it.

*My comment had nothing to do with payment for my work, not sure how you inferred that

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Two more I would add:

arrested Development, but not the reboot
    Boston Legal, or Shatner, Bergen, and Spader break the Fourth Wall

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Merciless" would be if they had not paid you just because they didn't air your work. Paying what you are due because it's not your fault they didn't choose to continue, is a fair trade for your efforts, but hardly merciless; they couldn't get any good work out of talent if they worked that way.

And yes, I can understand a networks' unwillingness to continue to lose market share, airing more poorly-attracting programming after they lose faith in it; that's the danger of committing to long-form story arcs. But an audience may invest time, but we're not risking next quarters' ad revenue like they are. I have to see their side if some crappy CBS police procedural is taking their viewers and eating their lunch.. It's their risk, promoting an unknown show, all we stand to get out of it is 50 minutes of distraction before bedtime. They risk losing our eyeballs, AND next years' ad buys. So while I hate the game, gotta respect the playa.

bmasters9 likes this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Getting really hooked on
    Start Up, free on Crackle

Brenald79 likes this.
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

My post had nothing to do with my being paid for my work, I still don’t understand why you drew that conclusion, but that’s irrelevant, so let’s drop it. Everyone on the crew is paid or we wouldn’t be there doing our jobs. All of our work is completed long before the show airs.

There are quite a few shows that started out with small audiences and turned into huge hits that made fortunes for their networks and creators, Seinfeld is probably the most prominent example. But it’s a different world today and they have no tolerance if they don’t see the coffers getting refilled right away. In the meantime IMO, their shows get worse and worse each year while the premium cable and streaming networks put out the quality product. The question is how long before they stop trying?

13. Michael

The Twilight Zone Complete Series on Blu-Ray!

MisterNines likes this.
  14. Michael

Shatner and Spader; they were absolutely perfect for each other!

budwhite likes this.
  15. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I agree with many that have already been mentioned. Some glaring titles missing for me:
    The Wonder Years
    Freaks and Geeks
    After Life
    (to a lesser degree) Extras

Karnak likes this.
  16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Wow. This site, and nobody's mentioned The Monkees yet?

Hooperfan, Fender Relic and Scope J like this.
  17. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I forgot to add Felicity, and Kung Fu, love those shows!

Lurgan Lad likes this.
  18. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Love Is Blind and Tiger King on Netflix are the shows for our time.

19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

We've been watching the recent NCIS repeats of the show from the very beginning on 5USA. There's a problem with the colour. Every thing from the first two series is overly yellow (that's as far as we've got). We watched them donkey's years back and they were fine then. Don't recall a problem. Maybe 5USA have bought cheap prints or aren't paying for a decent boosting/broadcasting system, but it's making viewing them hard work. Like watching the bloody Simpsons.

Still miss Sasha Alexander. Apart from the fact she was majorly hot, her character and the parts written for her were quite entertaining, especially the banter with Michael Weatherly.

20. arley

arley Forum Resident

Jack Taylor is a short lived series (only 9 episodes) with Iain Glen in the title role as an alcoholic ex-cop (kicked off the force), now scraping by as a private investigator. Detective series takes place in Galway, Ireland. Great acting and action, good writing even if the plots can be weird.

Karnak and ubiknik like this.
  21. townsend

townsend Senior Member

What's the word on the street about the series 12 Monkeys? I looked at ratings on RT, and it got trashed the first season, but then got WAY better. So what do you think?

22. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Me and my wife just finished 3 seasons of Ozark. Very good.

ubiknik, YardByrd, Dr. J. and 2 others like this.
  23. runofthemill

runofthemill Forum Resident

Me and my middle daughter (10) have been working our way through The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. Its fun.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Such a great show that nobody knows about. The girl, Otmara Marrero,
    is one my favorites.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Scope J likes this.
  25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

WKRP In Cincinnati

Karnak and YardByrd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.