NYC(and boroughs) Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by sberger, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

back in the 70's -90's NYC was an amazing place to record shop....I knew them all back then. NOT MUCH left these days. : (

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Agree. That's my era also(worked Midnight in the early 80's), and I miss it too.

There were some great newer stores popping up in the last few years. How(if) they bounce back is anybody's guess.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

I miss it so much...for many many years I was out shopping in the Village at least 3 days a week! and when I was performing I went record shopping before some shows! maniac...LOL.

4. sberger

I'd bring bags of records to shows. Don't think I ever left stuff behind, although my memory might be failing me.

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

unfortunately it happens and it sucks! LOL.

6. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

NYC was amazing in the late 70's and early 80's. Downstairs Records on 42nd Street to the Golden Disc in the Village. Thousands of 45's for $1.50 each downstairs at Farfels by Tower. Disc-O-Mat for cheap new stuff. Korvettes all over. The Rockages Record shows. Basically a joke for vinyl now around NYC cept some record shows like Astoria/Massapequa and Wayne New Jersey. I want to go back to the store that had thousands of new wave/punk 45's for $1.50 each in 1982. I musta bought over a 100 that day I found it.

7. sberger

You might want to read this thread. Before all this craziness, lots of good stores have popped up in the last few years with some terrific vinyl. As a guy who was in NYC in the era that you described, and worked at a store, plus a few distributors, I know from where you speak, and I agree. But from talking with folks whose opinion I respect, from visiting myself, and from this thread, there are(were) obviously some excellent places to shop and find good stuff.

Not the same, for sure, but a big jump forward from 10 years ago.

Hope stores are able to recover.

8. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

The ones in L.A., the ones not owned by silver spooners, are gonna be having lots of back to business sales to fight the loans and other things due. Staff cuts too. The rents for these places are already too high. I hate to think about NYC rents. I've always said if a gigantic consignment record shop opened, it would be amazing.

9. Michael

geez, you are breaking my heart! ; ) add Sounds, Second Coming Records, Bleeker Bobs, It's Only Rock and Roll, Revolver Records, Colony Music...and others..

10. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Bleeker Bob's was way too expensive. Colony was even higher. They had monster amounts of "cleans" from the usual suspects up the street CBS, etc.. Record Hunter at 5th and 42nd Street was cool. Mostly older crowd, classical but I found a sealed 3D Stones and sealed juke box EP's and other stuff all over and this was '76. King Karol or whatever it was called on 42nd Street on the X district between Times Square and 6th was amazing. Just huge. The $1 everything Scorpio-Jimmy's Music World 5th Avenue store was legendary. Warner Bros. dumped all the Badfinger units there after Polley jacked them on the advance. Thousand and thousands in the back. Give me '81 again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.