Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Pic of Dave's 34 cover per email this morning

2. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Awesome graphic.. any idea who the artist is?

SteveFff and SBegonias17 like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

amazing

warewolf95 and SteveFff like this.
  4. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

It means nothing of course, but this is precisely why I've been holding out as a subscriber for the past 2-3 years after doing a lot of perfunctory first plays of most Dave's (good to great shows, but...): the hope of 6/23 (Bermuda Triangle show) with some 22 bonus! One of my Gold Star, Blue Ribbon, Brass Ring, Grade A, USDA Prime Certified, Hoochi-Mama, Best of Show performances. The early technical problems seem an appropriate, perhaps necessary, prologue to derailing the gig into strange, dark, bizarre, enlightening, and profound directions. As far as commentator "Big House" on Setlist, I must diplomatically concur with the other poster who compared him with a feminine hygiene product. "Really struggling", indeed.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

See, this is the value of a forum like what he have here on SHF, experienced listeners with years of time spent absorbing this music who can offer up perspectives unfettered by an individual of unknown provenance. @Kate_C. put it best: One of my Gold Star, Blue Ribbon, Brass Ring, Grade A, USDA Prime Certified, Hoochi-Mama, Best of Show performances. An irrefutable observation of this exquisite show.

Since you have not heard this one before, you are in for one giant treat! :tiphat:

6. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Opinions are divided on this? Is the disagreement over whether it is one of the greatest shows or just merely great? I haven’t heard too much negative about this, I always thought it was a universally desired show - like a Swing 77 or a Eugene 78.

Crispy Rob, LucaB, Daedalus and 11 others like this.
  7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't think opinions are too divided, everybody loves it except some guy on Setlist I guess?

8. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

So cool , I’ve been waiting to say I was at that show. Definitely remember wall of sound and Jai Alai Fronton was perfect venue for it.
    I have no objectivity in terms of Dead’s performance as I am big fan.
    I do know my girlfriend at the time was blown away by Seastones.
    Let me be honest the Dead were the epitome of counter culture cool during this time.
    I am stoked.

9. Jackstraw78

Dave Kloc is the artist this year.

10. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

If Dave's 33 was a B or B+ in artwork, this one is definitely an A+.

And who in their right mind is ambivalent about 6/23/74 being released? This is probably the no. 1 remaining pick from '74 that hadn't been released (at least in significant part) and easily in the top 10 of major shows left unreleased that are known to be in the Vault.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Well, I find it extremly hard to complain about that. Not saying that you do, but you brought it up. :righton:

warewolf95, Guy Smiley, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  12. Jackstraw78

Yeah, but together with the Spanish Jam it's 22+ minute. So, it's not like they just noodled the Dark Star theme a min then went into something else a la 6/17/91.

13. JayB

JayB Senior Member

No offense to my friend above who posted this but this show and performance has been regarded as one of the best shows (of a very strong year ) in most fan circles, websites, etc. for as long as I can remember.

14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Yeah, I figure that normally the stage mics would pick up some room ambience and PA sound, but mostly the instruments would be recorded via direct line to the mixing board. The phase canceling mics must have affected the ambience recording in some way, but I don't know. The '74 boards have their own unique sound, but how much of the Wall came through the stage mics? Do they sound different just because of Kidd and/or the musicians adjusting their controls on stage?

warewolf95 and bmoregnr like this.
  15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I can’t find any case pre say 79 at a minimum where they recorded the guitars directly; it was always mics in front of guitar amps it seems. The whole goal of the WOS vocal mics was to cancel out the PA since it was behind the mics and would have created feedback otherwise, so you get a pretty analytical soundboard; that and they were not great vocal mics anyway so even the vocals are stiff and metallic. I believe because of their very flat response those B&K mics were primarily used for scientific measurements. I doubt it had anything to do with Kidd or certainly he had a lot of other roadie jobs to do. I can’t think of a ‘74 Betty and I don’t see any list with one on it but I’m guessing these recording circumstances would mostly show up in her tapes recognizing she would have used mostly the same recording rig, MX-10s and Nagra. Maybe she’d eq or use other outboard gear as she likely could have spent more time and focus vs what we understand Kidd could provide to the effort.

16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Maybe he could get to work early on a Keith-friendly 50th anniversary mix for a selection of top Europe ‘72 shows? He might just go for that if it was his call. :)

Crispy Rob, warewolf95, LucaB and 6 others like this.
  17. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Nice artwork. Really digging the Miami color scheme.

What's sticking out from the bottom of the basket?

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Feel free to add any pertinent or non pertinent color surrounding your experience!!!

Miami counterculture in the mid 70s had to be really interesting to say the least.

Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and Guy Smiley like this.
  19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Looks like the purple skeleton's legs.

20. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

You mean the skeleton’s right leg?

@frightwigwam just beat me to it.

21. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Is that a baby in a Deadhead blanket floating in a basket down a river, like Moses? Except intercepted by a giant skeleton? In front of an incredibly small city?

warewolf95, xj32, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  22. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I assume that it's a jai alai cesta, the woven basket used to catch and throw the ball.

Crispy Rob, LucaB, uzn007 and 7 others like this.
  23. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

OK, that does look like one of those baskets

[​IMG]

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

But the "ball" here isn't exactly round. So I wonder if there isn't a little Moses motif going on, too. (Even if they don't play Greatest Story at this show.)

(They do play it on the 22nd, though. Will it grace the bonus disc...?)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.