Amazon Prime recommendations

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by digdug67, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

And the books that the stories are based on are also very good and well written.

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Some pretty good movies on prime right now.

The Last Man On Earth- Vincent Price- 1964- Very fitting for these days. There is a a color version and a black n white version. Make sure to watch the original black n white.

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie- 1972- A great introduction to the fantastic world of Luis Bunuel. One of my favorite directors.

The Man Who Fell To Earth- 1976- David Bowie in a Nicolas Roeg film. Love it!

The Rainbow- interesting documentary on the famed clubs The Rainbow and Whisky a Go Go in LA.

3. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here! Thread Starter

Have watched both Season 1's for Brittania and Carnival Row and enjoyed both. Any word on the Season 2's for those shows?
    On to Counterpart :)

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I liked The Man in the High Castle very much. The characters may not evolve much, but they are interesting in the first place, and the story line is very compelling. Another vote for Bosch, Counterpart, and I'd like to add Occupied (season 1 at lease) and Mad Dogs.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Found High Castle to be an ultimate letdown, because it could have really benefited from that last, curtailed season, forcing them to resolve it where they did in the last two episodes.

Also frankly, because of circumstances and situations in real life we cannot discuss here, I lost my taste for wanting to watch it during the final season. :sigh:

vince likes this.
  6. Dillydipper

SkyTV aired Britannia's 2nd series last year elsewhere...there are "ways" to find it online...:shh: Although Carnival was renewed for S2 by Amazon, I doubt they've finished enough production on it at this point to expect to see it anytime soon. Films in Czech Republic. I think you'll find Counterpart lasts sufficiently-paced to tell the story it wanted, in its' two seasons, despite the usual "dead spots" viewers often find in series that depend on season cliff-hangers and scheduling dates requiring plot reveals at the usual junctures in normal places.

digdug67 likes this.
  7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I enjoyed a mini series called Trotsky but it may have been on netflix . Anyone liking History may enjoy that series.

digdug67 likes this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just started watching a series called Tin Star on Prime today. Not sure if I will stick with it since it is somewhat slow moving. So far is has 2 seasons out there.

digdug67, Christobal and peter fuller like this.
  9. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

ZeroZeroZero is the best show I've seen on Amazon Prime in a long time. Maybe ever. It was released a month or two ago. Brought to you by the same people who made the show Gomorrah. Highly recommended.
    There's a new sci-fi show that was just released last week on Prime. It's called Tales From The Loop. I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it has potential. It's actually based on a series of paintings.

10. puddleduck

puddleduck Forum Resident

Amazon have an uncanny knack of making pretty much everything look absolutely dreadful in their ads.

I'd recommend The Expanse and Jack Ryan for Amazon originals.

I found Good Omens absolutely dreadful, like a sub-par kids program - just terrible. Man in the High Castle I thought was quite good for maybe 1 series, but it tries to drag out pretty slight source material out too thinly. I tried American Gods for about 3 episodes but found that pretty much unwatchable.

Prime is a lot more miss than hit, easier to give a list of what to avoid rather than recommend sadly!

digdug67 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, we just started watching Tales from the Loop yesterday, and while I like it, the reviews are mixed at best. It's kind of like an Ingmar Bergman version of a sci-fi film: very slow, very methodical, the characters are vague and evasive, and the plot is ephemeral at best. The show was co-created by Nathaniel Halpern, who was also behind the very, very strange Marvel TV series Legion, and I would say there are some overlapping ideas: massive power that could erupt at any moment, putting the planet in grave jeopardy, and also people who want to try to take advantage of this power, but often suffering great loss in the attempt. I like it, plus it's beautiful to watch, but it doesn't strike me as mass-market entertainment.

12. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

6 episodes into Tales from the Loop.

Interesting so far, not sure how much longevity it will have unless they start to tie up some of the storylines, but so far definitely worth a watch.

digdug67 likes this.
  13. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

digdug67 likes this.
  14. There’s a documentary on Gerry Anderson called Filmed in Supermarionation.

smilin ed and mr. steak like this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

And beautifully filmed! That show just POPS on my HD tv - more than most. I find it a little less compelling as a show (has some standard cop show issues), but the (unconventional) lead actor is terrific. I think he’s why I keep coming back.

spanky1 likes this.
  16. digdug67

Just finished the two seasons of Counterpart and enjoyed it. Yes J.K. Simmons is fantastic, really gets the subtleties of his counterparts, but there is a lot of other fine acting to go around, too. Look forward to where they will take us in S3.
    Now on to Bosch!

17. Dillydipper

No season 3, it's a wrap.

18. digdug67

Ah that's too bad, it seemed they were setting up for it.

19. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Not scifi/fantasy, but there are many great crime shows to be found on Prime.
    Just finished City on a Hill (Boston underworld), and Line of Duty (British - 4-5 seasons worth) and season 5 of Luther (also British) just started.
    I agree with the Bosch mentions above, and the first couple seasons of Goliath (Billy Ray Thornton as maverick attorney in LA) are also really good.
    Unforgotten (British cold case), and from Australia: City Homicide (self explanatory) and Crownies (Prosecutors).
    For the Bristish and Australian shows it doesn't hurt to use subtitles!
    Stay safe.

digdug67 likes this.
  20. Dillydipper

Last night I discovered, Am Prime has Samsara. :eek:

This is one of those 'Koyaanisquatsi"-esque visual journeys, a non-narrative film that will blow you away with its' imagery, and leave you to figure out for yourself, what it's all about.

Dim the lights; get comfortable; use the bathroom beforehand; don't expect a plot; be. patient. Let it fill your senses from one corner of your eye to the other, with color; composition; settling, and (in the middle some) unsettling images.

At the very least...it may just be the most gorgeous film you have ever seen.

21. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

i remember watching that great doc on the dead 'long strange trip' the last time prime was free ....

carrick doone likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Bosch & Goliath are my two main shows

Watched Hand of God S01, it's
    pretty good, not watched S02 yet

Brenald79 likes this.
  23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Check out Mad Dogs (US version) to take your mind off things. It never got a second season.

24. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

ZeroZeroZero is very good. Not for the squamish.

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I like Bosch-also Goliath. I am on the fence with Tales from the Loop but will watch it all. The Grateful Dead bio is terrific( it is endlessly fascinating how many angles from which their story may be told).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.