Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

They are overshooting (or merely matching) the secondary market on like 1/2 - 1/3 of their titles. It's difficult to justify an order directly with MMJ anymore except for new releases.

Lucca90, Crazysteve and AnalogJ like this.
  2. williams

williams Well-Known Member

hello, does anyone have MM night dreamer press? I just got a press for $75 on discogs and on the last track there is distortion in the beginning for about 5 seconds then goes back to normal, anybody else have this problem? If this is a pressing defect how much should I get refunded, he said nothing about this problem on his listing, thanks.

3. 33 or 45?

4. williams

my bad, the 33 version from 2017

5. Yeah that issue has been documented in this thread and is not a pressing defect. If you use the search feature at the top of the page, limit the search to this thread only, and search “night dreamer distortion” you should be able to find further info.

6. williams

thank you very big help, I'm new to the thread so ill do that next time I have a problem, stay safe brotha

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Just put Midnight Blue on the Technics 1200GR. Think this is the first time I've played it through my newish MOFI Ultraphono and Sennheiser HD600. I'd forgotten just how good this sounds, but I've also probably never heard it this good, either. The SRX is going to be out of this world.

8. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I already had Midnight Blue as one of my select few best sounding MMJ releases, so I can't even imagine how the SRX will be.

I was comparing my AP and SRX of Idle Moments last night. There's one big deciding factor giving the MMJ the edge and it's the presentation of the vibes. They are so much more realistic and alive and *ahem* vibrant on the MMJ. Especially noticable in Django where the vibes are pretty dead on the AP.

scotti, Admerr, timzigs and 3 others like this.
  9. Gabe Walters

Every MMJ I have with Bobby Hutcherson--and I have all of them--the vibes are just ethereal. They hang in the air.

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yes...yes it is :p

Sneezyachew and Gabe Walters like this.
  11. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

Obviously MM is aware of QC problems originating from RTI. Why else would they hand inspect these 2020 pressings? I’m sure the defect rate has increased big time. Comparing last years SRX pressings and this years from only a visual standpoint is pretty alarming. I guess the final conclusion is the sound and therefore no complaints only praise for me. I just wonder if RTI is pressing beyond their capabilities with all the demand out there and this may be the norm forward?
    Be well everyone

12. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Ugh, i debated it then but once it got to $99 i had to say no. Now we know they'll go up another $20 probably after they sell 1-2 more copies.

13. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I'm on a quest to get every MMJ that has Bobby Hutcherson. What's your MMJ Hutcherson rankings?

Gabe Walters likes this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can you imagine what is going to happen to QC when the plants open back up regarding standard releases and such (being so backed up)...kind of a scary thought.

15. Gabe Walters

Oh man, that's a tough one. I tend to like the more modal or in-and-out releases more than the hard bop or soul jazz, and I think Hutcherson's skill at vibes is to play in those more out styles especially. I won't try an ordered ranking, but these are some of my favorites:

Out to Lunch
    Happenings
    One Step Beyond
    Destination . . . Out!
    Judgment
    Mode for Joe
    The Procrastinator

And then the more in stuff like:

Idle Moments
    Gettin' Around
    Street of Dreams

16. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

We have similar tastes for Bobby. From your top grouping, I'm missing out on Happenings, Mode for Joe and One step beyond. One step is already in my cart for next purchase. I really his sound on Judgement! also.

I would like a great copy of Street of Dreams if i ever find one.

17. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I like Hutcherson and what he brings to albums, and i think he really elevates things like Gettin Around and Street of Dreams which easily could've been almost easy light jazz, and he adds such a cool feel to those two. I love the more out stuff with him a lot too, I've got 7o f the ones you listed, and would happily buy Mode for Joe and Street of Dreams if they ever shows up reasonably. The BN75 of Street is surprisingly very good, but Mode has too many instruments going on for the BN75, so it sounds a bit thin.

18. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Don't forget about Evolution.

TheoJ, Cervelo, NorthNY Mark and 4 others like this.
  19. Gabe Walters

Weird, I could've sworn I had it in there. I was actually listening to it when I wrote the post.

20. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

What intrigues me is how half of these are still available on the MMJ site, including Evolution. These are some of the best of the best.

Dmann201, Elofan, Vic Trola and 5 others like this.
  21. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Starting a listening session with the trilogy of one step beyond, destination out, and evolution. Please pray for my soul and for the ears of my jazz hating family members. I may not be alive afterwards.

Dai, gov, NorthNY Mark and 15 others like this.
  22. PauGasmall

PauGasmall Forum Resident

Just got an email notification that Here to Stay is back in stock.... for $100???? I emailed them back saying I'm interested but not at that price and can do better on Discogs. Asked them for a discount :laugh:

It's the only MMJ release still on my want list, but that price is just offensive.

Crazysteve and timzigs like this.
  23. Gabe Walters

They may kill you. But before that, you’ll be more alive than ever.

recstar24 likes this.
  24. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

But sadly, you can only do better by $2 on Discogs.
    Freddie Hubbard - Here To Stay (Vinyl, US, 2008) For Sale | Discogs

25. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

You know, this is one where I have a few pops on the last (and best) track, but $100 is too salty to consider a second copy. I played it over the weekend and it didn't sound quite as good sonically as some of the other Hubbard records.