The Bee Gees: Song by Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by skyblue17, Apr 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyblue17

skyblue17 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are certainly two versions of "For Whom the Bell Tolls"! The single edit is used for both the music video and was released on The Record. It omits the final minute of the song, and it's a pretty big loss, in my opinion! "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is my favorite Bee Gees song and a big reason why is Robin's vocals on it, and among my favorite moments of all the singing he's ever done are in that final minute.

Jrr and Hadean75 like this.
  2. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

Oh my - check these links out:

Bee Gees - Paying The Price Of Love

BeeGees* - For Whom The Bell Tolls

BeeGees* - How To Fall In Love Part 1

And these are just the Size singles.

Hadean75 and skyblue17 like this.
  3. skyblue17

4. skyblue17

The song I am stuck on today! "Edge of the Universe" from Main Course.

I think the reason I like Main Course so much is that it's the best of both worlds. We have these very 70s-ish singer/songwriter style tunes, and then we also get the taste of what's to come with the singles from the album.

This song is just such an easy listen. It's a bit random, both lyrically and musically, but that makes it rather, delightful, no? I like the contrast between the verses and the choruses. Great harmony, not quite as easy to pick apart as some songs, which in itself is a treat, as you realize how seamlessly their voices can blend. Just a nice little diddy.

5. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

One of Robins best studio song (Don't Fall In Love With Me Baby) a close second.

Hadean75, Jarleboy, Jrr and 1 other person like this.
  6. Castle in the air

A perfectly sung demo of a song he co wrote with Blue.

Hadean75, Jrr and skyblue17 like this.
  7. Castle in the air

He finally gave up on that weird non falsetto stuff on his 80s solo albums.

8. Castle in the air

Should have been given a chance as a single.

Majk and Hadean75 like this.
  9. Castle in the air

Robins talents as a singer,songwriter and musician.

John54, Hadean75 and skyblue17 like this.
  10. skyblue17

This song is so lovely. It's really amazing it's on the same album as "Jive Talkin'"!

I agree, it's one of his best studio songs (and I agree that "Don't Fall In Love With me" is another!).

Hadean75 and Jarleboy like this.
  11. skyblue17

This is pretty delightful! I don't think I've ever heard the Robin-sung version. I have listened to the Jimmy Ruffin version though. I like this a lot, it seems like he's singing it how he thinks Jimmy might sing it? Did he know when he recorded it that's who would be singing it?

Hadean75 likes this.
  12. skyblue17

This song is so hauntingly beautiful. I can only imagine how that accident stuck with him at the time (and beyond), and it likely crept into a few other songs and vocals as well. There's that interview about the whole thing, where Robin, nearly 30 years later, still appears to be a bit shaken recounting the details, and Barry casually is like "well, you know, at least it gave Robin pathos." Even if there is truth in that, it seems like an odd thing to say about your brother almost being killed.

Hadean75 likes this.
  13. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

It wasn't a demo at all as it was the result of Blue asking Robin to do the song himself at the time of the sessions with Ruffin.

skyblue17 likes this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A pretty big loss? You’re being kind. Of all single edits over hundreds of songs over the years, this is the worst (okay, maybe tied with Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, another terribly done edit). The chorus is just beautiful. And they fade it out once it really gets going. You wonder if the brothers approved this. I seriously doubt it. It really made me mad when I bought a 12” version on vinyl only to find out it was the edited one. On a 12” with plenty of room? Who makes these decisions? Okay, not exactly a third world problem, but particularly egregious on the 12” format where, if anything, songs are lengthened. The song is completely ruined for me in that version.

skyblue17 likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Just played my glorious first pressing of that album tonight. Took me years and years to finally run into both a very clean copy pressed on excellent quality vinyl, and an A1 pressing. Wish you guys could here the amazing guitar work and the hauntingly beautiful outro on this version. I’ve heard at least 20 copies of this album and none, not even my Japanese import, sounds this good! It’s a shame vinyl copies can differ so much. This is a very well recorded album that rarely sounds as such on most copies, and the cds are worse (I have purchased every reissue even though ‘i don’t even listen to cds anymore). If anyone wants matrix info just ask! We’ll see how the reissue sounds...I hope you guys will get to hear it the way it was really recorded. I heard the masters were used and if so, you vinyl guys are in for a big surprise, and a huge treat!

And yes, Main Course is everything you say it is. I was just wondering tonight whether Barry ever listens to those albums.

Hadean75, skyblue17 and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don’t know where you guys dig this stuff up but thank you! I always wonder how this stuff leaks out.

17. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

This wasn't leaked, it was first published through Robin's website several years back. Youtube uploads a.o. stem from that.

18. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

"Edge of the Universe" feels like it should be from a sci-fi/fantasy movie to me. I love those way out lyrics - what do they mean? And that fade out is great! :) The live version was a US top 30 hit. I don't think it's been on any compilations though.

Jrr, Hadean75, skyblue17 and 2 others like this.
  19. Photon

Photon Forum Resident

This has got to be my favourite Main Course track! Robin is in fine form here.

Hadean75, skyblue17 and Jarleboy like this.
  20. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

:thumbsup: This is one of favorite 60s songs of theirs. All these live versions are great crowd pleasers too- his vocal meets that songwriting perfectly.

21. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

My favorite from Cucumber Castle is "Turning Tide". "When time is gone and we are on the roundabout
    Would you still laugh and be a clown when love runs out
    Or will you say that I am reaching too high.."

22. skyblue17

Ahhh! Well, it's a real fun vocal and a little different from what we usually hear from Robin! It's a bit of a treat to me when he dips a little into his lower register, not something he did often (at least in a way that stood out).

I am trying to be diplomatic, I get most singles cannot be five minutes long! However, this edit does the song quite the disservice! I've never been so worked up over a missing 60 seconds! My guess is that Barry did approve that version being on The Record, even if it was out of their hands for the music video (just give us another minute of Robin standing majestically on the rocks, it'd be fine!). And for awhile, I actually thought the vocal mix was different too, but now I think I was making that up and it's just the glaringly obvious missing of Robin at the end of the track that made me think so.

It does! That synth is so otherworldly! It is on Tales From the Brothers Gibb but I don't think it's on any of the shorter or more concise compilations, aside from the live album you mention that gave it extra attention!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  23. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Ya'll are hitting a lot of my favorite tracks! :righton:

Keep them coming! :agree:

Rick Bartlett and skyblue17 like this.
  24. skyblue17

Because why not. It's so good.

And mind you, I don't think I think it's so good because it's Robin. It's my favorite Beatles song. It just really is that good.

LouieG and Hadean75 like this.
  25. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Mega like. :righton:

(And I've always preferred it to the Beatles version.....hides from Beatles fans....:hide:)

skyblue17 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.