Best Opening Act You Sat Through .......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Jan 14, 2018.

1. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

Henry Rollins opening for Red Hot Chili Pepper 02/16/1992 Le Zenith Paris France - Or how to pass for prepubertal choirboys. The RHCP were exceeded, buried!
    Rage Against The Machine opening for Suicidal Tendencies 10/09/1992 l'Elysée Montmartre Paris France - First concert in France for RATM 3 weeks before the release of their 1st LP. Everybody was floored... Who are the hell are those guys ??? Some weeks later, we knew !

2. Sci-Flyer

Sci-Flyer Forum Resident

Broadcast opening for Stereolab in Glasgow in 1996. Two very well matched bands. Broadcast were just about to release their first EP The Book Lovers. Went on to see Broadcast many times in the following years until the sad passing of their singer a few years back.

ries and englishbob like this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You're one lucky man. I read in Barry Fey's (concert promoter) biography that LZ's management begged and pleaded for him to add them as the third act for this show that had long since been advertised and sold as a two act gig. He relented at the last minute and included Zeppelin. I'd have to check again but they only got paid something like $250-$300 for the gig.

My wife has season tickets to the Denver Performing Arts Center, which is a grouping of theaters that includes the Auditorium Theater (now the Ellie Caulkins Opera House) where this LZ show took place. When I walk by the building on the way to a show, I'll often tell the other couple we're with that this was where Led Zeppelin played their first U.S. concert. Half the time I don't think they believe me.

4. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

Blodwyn Pig opening for Johnny Winter (Fillmore East)
    Curved Air opening for ELP (Fillmore East)
    Free opening for Blind Faith (Madison Square Garden)

5. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Souther Hillman Furay Band opening for Richard Betts Highway Call tour 1974.

Michael Bean and carlwm like this.
  6. steve phillips

REO Speedwagon opening for Boston 1977.

carlwm likes this.
  7. steve phillips

Starcastle opening for Boston 1977.

carlwm likes this.
  8. Dalziel53

Dalziel53 Senior Member

The Eagles opening for Procol Harum, Okeefe Centre, Toronto, 1972. Eagles first album had just been released. They were very tight.
    Doobie Brothers opening for T.Rex - Massey Hall, Toronto, 1972
    Genesis opening for Lou Reed - Massey Hall, Toronto 1973 ................. that was weird. It was the full Peter Gabriel theatrics.
    The Band opening for CSN&Y, Varsity Stadium, Toronto, 1974
    Huey Lewis & the News opening for Graham Parker and the Rumour, Masonic Temple, Toronto, 1982

carlwm likes this.
  9. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I'm one of those types who sneaks in a drink or bathroom break.
    I NEVER remember the opening act, ever. I know. I suck.

10. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Opening acts usually have the crap sound button enabled to ensure the main act sounds the best.

The best opening act I think were Power of Dreams (opening for House of Love)

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Would have loved to have been at both of those! :righton:

steve phillips likes this.
  12. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Here's another - Stevie Ray Vaughan opened for Robert Plant in 1988. How could I have overlooked that??

All Down The Line likes this.
  13. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

Snow Patrol -> U2
    Rival Sons -> Black Sabbath

14. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

Jerry Garcia band opening for Frank zappa

15. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

John Fogerty opening for John Mellencamp 2005

16. jloweinmo

jloweinmo Forum Resident

The one that springs immediately to mind is Marah opening for Steve Earle sometime in the early/mid 90's. Marah I'm pretty sure is from Philly and I had never heard of them at the time. What a great live band! Just a ton of fun and super high energy. Not a great match with Steve Earle and although I was very into SE at the time, his show was a bit of a let down after Marah lit the club on fire.

Also, Jason and the Scorchers opened for J. Geils - early 80's

Black Crowes (very early) opened for ZZ Top - Late 80's

mdm08033 likes this.
  17. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Crikey I would love to hear your view & any expectations or remembrances on Free at MSG having only heared the odd rock critics brief comments!

John Fell likes this.
  18. steve phillips

The first one was a triple bill with REO and Starcastle opening, and the second time I saw Boston was just Starcastle opening.
    Amazing concerts.

carlwm likes this.
  19. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Luka Bloom opening for the Pouges
    Grande Fir opening for Ron Sexsmith

20. steve phillips

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band opening for Jethro Tull 1975.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I can imagine!

Probably mentioned it in the past but I got into Starcastle initially because of the REO connection. I still like all their albums including the generally reviled Real Yo Reel.

22. steve phillips

Yeah, I have and like all 4. Real To Reel is more straightforward Rock and just has to be taken as that.
    I don't like it as much as the first 3, but I don't leave it out when I'm going through their albums.

carlwm likes this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's just a different sound, more in the vein of Head East or Murphy era REO. The songwriting and performances are still strong.

24. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Tony Joe White (Opening for Steppenwolf in 1970). He played his electric guitar with occasional swampy wah-wah and a harmonica in a neck rack, accompanied only by a drummer.
    Sailcat (Opening for the Guess Who in 1972). John Wyker and Court Pickett augmented by 2 lead guitarists and a drummer. They were friendly, folksy, and down home and they really rocked.

UTP and carlwm like this.
  25. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

I had never heard of Free prior to this. There were 2 openers: Free & Delaney & Bonnie (whom I wasn't into much). Free came on first, and they played
    with a ton of attitude and a bit of cockiness, which worked in their favor. Each guy had his own persona and they really meshed well. Very solid playing
    and of course great singing. I wasn't familiar with anything they played though for some reason Walk In My Shadow stuck in my head. At the end Simon
    Kirke trashed his drum kit, and it was actually pretty cool. They really went for it. I became an instant fan. My friends who went were also were very impressed too. A bit of irony, a couple of years later I had tickets to see them headline at the Fillmore East. I went with a girl I was dating and when we
    got there, Bill Graham announced that Free would not be playing and replaced them with Delaney & Bonnie who were at the MSG show! Needless to say
    I was totally bummed out. My girlfriend got annoyed at me for complaining too much, a month or 2 later splitsville:cry:

Jonny W and All Down The Line like this.