Paul McCartney/Wings-song by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bemagnus, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Macca Men and Linda Ladies?

2. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

'Flaming Pie' better than 'Tug of War'? Certainly! But better than 'Ram'? Never in a million years!

gja586, Yovra, coco77 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

If you look it by the numbers then I have scored FP higher than I have Ram and TOW. Which albums do I spend more time with and enjoy more as a cohesive experience? That would be Ram and TOW by a mile.

4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Used To Be Bad

A blues rock jam song with some interesting guitar riffs and great vocals by Paul and Steve.

Lyrics:

I used to be bad
    But I don't have to be bad no more
    Yeah, I used to be bad
    Well ain't no doubt about it, people
    It's something you can't ignore

Well, I ain't good looking
    People, you know I've been up on a shelf
    Yes, I know I ain't good looking
    And I've been put up on the shelf
    But I got a sweet disposition
    I like to enjoy myself

I used to be bad
    Yeah, I used to be bad
    You know I learned my lesson
    A long, long time ago

Well, no matter what you say
    No matter what you do
    You got one life to live
    It's gonna come back home to you
    I used to be bad
    Yeah people, I learned my lesson
    A long, long time ago

The good Lord made this world
    And everything that's in it
    The way I see it, baby
    You got to love it to the limit
    Oh yes, now people
    It's something you can't ignore
    Yes I used to be bad
    But I ain't gonna be bad no more

Well, the way you treat me darling
    Made me understand
    Never quit you baby
    I'm gonna love you to the end
    Yeah, I used to be bad
    But I ain't gonna be bad no more
    Yes, I learned my lesson
    A long, long time ago

Yes, I learned my lesson
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, I learned my lesson
    You're gonna reap just what you sow

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney
    Written by Paul McCartney, Steve Miller
    Bass Guitar, Drums, Lead Vocal by Paul McCartney
    Electric guitar, Lead Vocal by Steve Miller
    Engineered by Geoff Emerick, Jon Jacobs
    Assistant engineer: Keith Smith
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: May 5, 1997
    Recorded at Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Length: 4:08 minutes

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Used To Be Bad...

The song was the complement of the The World Tonight CD Single (some versions) and 7" picture disc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

omikron likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like FLAMING PIE more than RAM! I like RAM but FLAMING PIE just has more great songs!

gja586 likes this.
  7. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Finally, ANOTHER SANE voice in the WILDERNESS that IS THIS thread.

gja586 likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Can we not turn this into a “I like MY Paul album better than YOUR Paul album pretty please ?

It’s all subjective anyway, except for the albums I like more, which are clearly better albums . :D

Piiijiii, Who Cares, Ludger and 6 others like this.
  9. omikron

Little Willow: 3.5/5

I pretty much have the same feelings for this song as I do with Somedays. It’s a lovely and touching song but it comes off flat somehow. This is also probably the one Jeff Lynne touch on the album that I don’t care for. Those aaaaAAAAAAH’s throughout the song are a tad out of place for the delicate nature here. It's too jarring.

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun Thread Starter

So true Glenn. You are the undisputed Queen when it comes to judging McCartneys music.
    :):):)

Dr. Pepper and Glenn Christense like this.
  11. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Hey pal, I only dress up like the Queen on weekends . :realmad:

The rest of the week I’m Pattie Boyd. :agree:

:p

12. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Souvenir is a good, solid track. It's never been quite in my top tier, but everything about it works. Paul sometimes does this soulful stuff amazingly well for a white Brit.

Little Willow is exquisite. Yes, it was written about Maureen Starkey, not Linda. but it certainly contributes to the sense of sadness that hangs over much of the album. It's beautifully done, and I have to respectfully disagree with whoever called it "flat." Your mileage may vary.

I know a couple denizens of this thread have also been hanging out at the John Prine memorial thread, and we're all still grieving. Little Willow is one of those songs that I don't think I can stand to listen to right now -- I'll just lose it.

BZync, Rojo, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  13. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

It's not true :)

14. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Finally caught up - excellent thread

Rojo, Bruce M., Who Cares and 6 others like this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Cheers , mate.

Bemagnus and The MEZ like this.
  16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Souvenir

A R&B song with strong vocals, terrific guitar work, a fantastic dissonance, out of tune notes and heartfelt lyrics.

Lyrics:

When you're fed up shedding too many tears
    And you're memories seem like just so many souvenirs
    I will come to you to ease the pain

If you want me, tell me now
    If I can be of any help, tell me how
    Let me love you like a friend
    Everything is gonna come right in the end

When you're crying like a poor little child
    And you're feeling like you never could be reconciled
    Don't forget a word of what I'm saying

Everything is gonna come right in the end

Well, I can hold you too tight
    I could never let you go
    But that wouldn't be right
    So, why don't you let me know (let me know)
    What you want to do

Everybody's got a handful of fear
    But tomorrow it may only be a souvenir
    Of the way it was 'til it went away

Every little thing is gonna come right in the end

Souvenir
    No, not another souvenir
    No, no, no, no, no, souvenir

Credits:

Produced by Paul McCartney, Jeff Lynne
    Written by Paul McCartney
    Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocal, Bass Guitar, Drums, Electric Guitar, Harpsichord, Lead Vocal, Piano by Paul McCartney
    Acoustic Guitar, Backing Vocal, Electric Guitar, Keyboard
    by Jeff Lynne
    Trumpet by Kevin Robinson
    Saxophone by Chris 'Snake' Davis
    Baritone Saxophone by Dave Bishop
    Engineered by Geoff Emerick, Jon Jacobs
    Assistant engineer: Keith Smith
    Label: Parlophone
    Release Date: May 5, 1997
    Recorded at Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Length: 3:38 minutes

17. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Souvenir...

Sticking Out Of My Back Pocket: ‘Souvenir'

"'Souvenir' takes an easy and relaxed arrangement. Written during a Jamaican holiday in the January of 1995, Paul was anxious for the listener to experience the feel of his original demo, which played host to ambient sounds of a ringing telephone and tropical downpour."

18. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Souvenir...

Unrelated...

19. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Little Willow, nice track and an affectionate tribute....Just a notch below the top tier songs on the album. 3.5

20. janmaccazwan

janmaccazwan Forum Resident

Heaven On A Sunday 8/10 Beautiful ballad that lasts just too long.
    Used To BE Bad 7/10 A nice jam between Paul and Steve.
    Souvenir: 9/10 An underestimated number from Paul. Unfortunately like so many from his solo work.
    Little Willow 10/10 Goosebumps every time!

21. Bemagnus

NEXT ONE
    Really Love You
    I know some don t like this jam. I must say I do. It s rough but fun. Ringos drums rock-solid and Paul’s vocals pretty wild and nice guitar from me Lynne
    A fun and lively track

“Really Love You” is a song written by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr—their first-ever shared credit—and originally released on McCartney’s 1997 album Flaming Pie. In 2005, a remixed version was released as a limited edition 12″ vinyl, from the album Twin Freaks.

The song was written during a jam session the day after McCartney and Starr recorded “Beautiful Night“, another song on Flaming Pie that features Starr on drums.

From the album liner notes:

The day after Ringo and Paul recorded “Beautiful Night” the pair returned to the studio and began a jam session, Paul plucking his Hofner Violin bass, Ringo beating the drums and Jeff Lynne playing guitar. Three pieces evolved inside a half an hour, “Really Love You” best charting the desired R&B groove, with Paul adding an off-the-cuff vocal. Credit to McCartney/Starkey – a first-ever credit for a released tune – the jam was completed by some guitar and vocal overdubs and mixed after Ringo had returned home. Played to him over the telephone by Paul, Ringo’s response – “It’s relentless!” – remains the best description of the finished result.

“Doing Beautiful Night with Ringo wasn’t enough. I wanted more fun. So we jammed. The actor’s worst dream is being on stage not knowing what plays he’s in – doing this vocal was like that, you can go anywhere. You’ve got to clear your mind – and play bass – let your head to and ad-lib it all.”

Paul McCartney, in Club Sandwich n°82, Summer 1997:
    Ringo was at my studio to record ‘Beautiful Night’ and we were getting a great sound from the instruments. The next session we did three jams in half an hour, including this one. I got on the Hofner bass, Ringo started drumming, Jeff Lynne was on guitar and the three of us got an R&B riff going. I had to fulfil the actor’s worst dream, of being on stage but not knowing what play he’s in – my version of this is that I have to sing words to a song that is being made up on the spot. This is why there’s one verse that doesn’t make any sense, which is well surreal, but that’s OK.

Mark Lewisohn, in Club Sandwich n°82, Summer 1997:

The day after Ringo Starr had joined Paul to record ‘Beautiful Night’ the pair returned to the studio, where the instruments remained set up as before, and began a good old-fashioned jam session, Paul plucking his Hofner Violin bass, Ringo beating the drums and Jeff Lynne playing guitar. Three separate pieces evolved inside half an hour, one being ‘Looking For You‘ (issued on the B-side of first UK single ‘Young Boy’ and first US single ‘The World Tonight’), another ‘Really Love You’. This latter track best charted the desired R&B groove, with Paul adding a live vocal. Forced to invent the lyric on the spot, he duly grabbed the words out of “left-field”. “There’s one verse that doesn’t make any sense,” Paul admits, “which goes ‘I need your heart hopping on a plate’. I remember thinking, ‘ What did I just say?’ But I just had to keep going.”

Credited to McCartney/Starkey – even after all this time this is still a first-ever credit for a released tune – the jam was completed by some guitar overdubs and mixed after Ringo had returned home. Played to him over the telephone by Paul, his response – “It’s relentless!” – remains the best description of the finished result.

22. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Little Willow 4.5/5
    [​IMG]

BZync, Who Cares, WilliamWes and 2 others like this.
  23. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Really Love You a track that doesn't need to be here and stops the flow of the record, B side at best (though as previously mentioned really enjoy the Twin Freaks version)

24. omikron

Update to my Little Willow review because when I said aaaaAAAAAAH, I really meant willoOOWW. I can't say I really like those. They sound really out of place for the gentleness of the song. It's like they stab at you which is definitely not the vibe I should be getting for a song of comfort to the family of a deceased friend.

Really Love You: 3.5/5

A lot of people don’t like this song but I’m ok with it. Paul always likes to throw on a fun/funky/crazy thing or two on his albums. This one I think happens to work where Used To Be Bad failed miserably. It’s simply a jam and they lyrics are essentially made up on the spot but Paul’s got a great voice going. Ringo has burning it up on the drum tempo and Paul’s bass is properly thumping away. It’s probably the peppiest moment on the album. It’s pretty frenetic and I think the recording captures the energy. To quote Ringo, “It’s relentless!” If Paul had done some more proper lyrics for it, this song would be pretty stellar.

25. Bemagnus

NEXT ONE

Beautiful Night

A grand piano ballad this one contains the biggest production on the album featuring a gorgeous orchestration from George Martin. Not to mention the coda with Ringos vocals and Paul playing killer lead guitar.

The mood of this song is a bit less melancholic than some other songs on the album- Perhaps because this song originally was written and recorded in the mid-eighties. Good as that version is I think the Flaming Pie one is the best. Outstanding and catchy melody, great vocals and of course a very Beatlesque feel makes this a another highlight from an album full of them.

Great stuff

Song facts

From Wikipedia:

Beautiful Night” is a song by Paul McCartney and is the 13th track on his 1997 album Flaming Pie. In December 1997, it was released as the third and final single from that album, peaking at number 25 in the UK Singles Chart (see 1997 in British music).

The song was originally recorded in August 1986 in New York. That version can be heard on the CD single as part of the “Oobu Joobu” section.

The song features the first of two collaborations McCartney performed with Ringo Starr on Flaming Pie (the second being “Really Love You“) as well as an orchestration by George Martin, recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

Music video

The video accompanying the single was directed by Julien Temple and had to be re-edited as a brief glimpse of a woman skinnydipping caused a minor controversy. Also appearing in the video were Ringo Starr, Linda McCartney (her final appearance in a music video) and the band Spud (although they are shown performing with McCartney, they did not contribute to the recording of the track). The video debuted during an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show.

From the album liner notes:

Working on the Anthology prompted Paul to suggest that he and ringo renew a collaboration not experienced for ten years. “Beautiful Night” was a decade old itself, and a recording made in New York had been on the shelf, unused, since 1986. With Paul at the piano and Ringo on drums (playing, incidentally, a replica arrangement of his own kit, which Paul had bought and modeled on Ringo’s set up after the “Real Love” session) the song came together comfortably. Wanting to play some guitar on the end, Paul also introduced a new element to his composition, the uptempo finale. Finally, the recording was enhanced by an orchestral arrangement scored by George Martin and overdubbed at Abbey Road on St. Valentine’s Day 1997.

“I unearthed this old song for when Ringo was coming, changed a few lyrics and it was really like the old days, I realized that we hadn’t done this for so long, but it was very comfortable. And it was still there.”

Paul McCartney, in Club Sandwitch n°82, Summer 1997:

I wrote ‘Beautiful Night’ quite a few years ago, and I’ve always liked it, and people who heard an early recording that I made in New York, with some of Billy Joel’s players, have said that they liked it too. But I always felt that we hadn’t quite “pulled it off’ – you know? We had a good evening and a great time but I just didn’t feel that it was the one. Also, I was still changing a few lyrics. So I did it with Ringo instead – I’ve been saying to him for years that we should do some more work together. He’s great.

I sat at the piano and Ringo sat at the drums. It was so comfortable and lovely to work with him again. Jeff Lynne and I produced. Ringo was very happy with it and we tagged on the fast bit at the end, which wasn’t on the original recording.

Ringo came here, to the studio, to do ‘Free As A Bird’ and ‘Real Love’, and brought his kit with him. It sounds great when it’s recorded, the snare, the bass. He then left his kit here, in storage, so I phoned up and ordered exactly the same pieces, and set up my new kit in exactly the same way. In fact, Ringo used my model of his kit for ‘Beautiful Night’.

Mark Lewisohn, in Club Sandwich n°82, Summer 1997:

[…] With Paul at the piano and Ringo on drums, the song came together comfortably. Wanting to play some guitar on the end, Paul introduced a new element to his composition, the uptempo finale, and the microphone caught some characteristic ad-libbing by Ringo and Paul as they prepared to leave the studio. The recording then remained the same for nine months before Paul decided to have it enhanced by an orchestral arrangement, scored by George Martin and recorded in Studio One at Abbey Road on 14 February 1997.

Last updated on May 15, 2018

Lyrics

Someone's gone out fishing
    Someone's high and dry
    Someone's on a mission, to the lonely Lorelei
    Some folks got a vision of a castle in the sky
    And I'm left stranded, wondering why

You and me together
    Nothing feels so good
    Even if I get a medal from my local neighbourhood
    I won't need a castle, they've got castles in Versailles
    And I'm still stranded, wondering why

Make it a beautiful night for me
    It's a beautiful night for love
    A wonderful sight for lovers of love to behold

Some boat's on the ocean
    We're here in this room
    Seems to me the perfect way to spend an afternoon
    We can look for castles, pretty castles in the sky
    No more wondering, wondering why

Things can go wrong, things can go right
    Things can go bump in the dead of the night
    So let me be there, let me be there
    Let me be there with you in the dead of the night

Such a beautiful night for love
    Such a wonderful sight for lovers of love to behold

Yeah, it's a beautiful night
    Yeah, it's a beautiful night

Yeah, beautiful night, beautiful night
    It's such a beautiful night, beautiful night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.