Wow HD

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by davebush, Mar 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davebush

davebush New Test Leper Thread Starter

Learning that my beloved Second Spin is shutting down, I began searching for a new online source for CDs. I found Wow HD (wowhd.ca) and I'm unable to believe they offer free shipping on everything, as they state. Just wondering if any Canadians here have ordered from this company and can confirm the shipping is $0.00.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. I'm not Canadian but I can assure you their Free Shipping policy is accurate and reliable. I've used them many times to ship to UK and never had a problem.

Jimmy Agates and lwh1 like this.
  3. What format do they present them on?

4. davebush

Where is the company based? They've got sites for multiple countries, but I'm just wondering where the shipment actually comes from. I just find the free shipping somewhat too good to be true.

5. Hong Kong, I think? Whatever, it's free wherever you are so don't worry.

6. davebush

OK - thanks. I'll give it a shot.

SteveM likes this.
  7. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I use them for my MOFI releases and like SteveM, I've never had any problem.

Jimmy Agates and Mick Jones like this.
  8. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

They ship from Shepherdsville, Kentucky, the items are sent airmail before entering your local postage system (eg Royal Mail in the U.K.).

davebush likes this.
  9. Antenociticus

Antenociticus Forum Resident

They are owned by the same company as DeepDiscount, blowitoutahere.com and ImportCDs, who also ship from Shepherdsville, Kentucky. Once upon a time they may have been an independent company but now they're just a storefront for DirectToU.
    Another interesting fact: Secondspin have been shipping from Shepherdsville KY for a few years now, they used to ship from Colorado.

davebush and PhantomStranger like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I take it Second Spin sold used CDs. Does Wow HD also sell used CDs?

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I was thinking about ordering some MoFi SACD's from them, are they packaged safely and the card sleeves arrive OK?

12. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

They come in these sealed corrugated cardboard sleeves which you have to rip open (carefully). I've never had any problems.

detroit muscle likes this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So like Import CDs..probably the same building and people doing the packing for both.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. davebush

I emailed Wow HD and asked about international shipping (I'm in Canada) and they replied, telling me that although shipping is free, all customs and import taxes are above and beyond. I never have these added when ordering from outside the country. Currently awaiting delivery of a Harold Budd CD.

15. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Been ordering from them for years with no problems.

SteveM likes this.
  16. Ital Galore

Ital Galore Forum Resident

+1

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Same here - It's great to have at least one seller that offers free shipping to everywhere around the world. You can even order one CD or LP at a time, so you can make sure that you don't have to pay extra import taxes.

I did notice, however, that a substantial part of what they offer is listed as 'out of stock'. Not sure if this has anyhting to do with the corona crisis, but it'll take even longer to have items shipped to EU countries and other parts of the world. Usually shipping takes 2 or 3 weeks before the package gets delivered at your door. They put up a warning recently that shipping may take longer than usual because of corona. I just placed a few separate orders - here's hoping it won't take six weeks or so...

18. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

My MOFI T.Rex SACD arrived a few days ago and it took roughly 8 days.

19. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Thanks for the info. Presumably UK import duties are liable.
    As a non-US buyer I'm finding wowHD less and less favourable. I was going to order the Zappa In New York 5CD box set which was brought to my attention via a price comparison search - WowHD's UK website were by far the cheapest; but when I proceeded though the ordering process it turns out quoted prices don't include VAT (UK tax). Once they were added on, the pricing wasn't so attractive after all.
    I am perfectly happy to pay VAT, but would prefer to to be included in the pricing from the start, especially if price comparison websites are tracking quoted prices. I understand large companies with multiple territories may not be able to factor it all in, but it seems pointless to offer territory-specific versions of their website, to cater for mail order in those regions, if the quoted prices aren't accurate.

lwh1 likes this.
  20. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I agree with your points. They started adding the tax on sometime last year (I think), and it raises the prices up 4 or 5 pounds, but it's the cheapest price for MOFI discs which is what I buy.
    I've never had to pay any import duties, because as I understand they ship everything over to the U.K. and then post them by Royal Mail (I'm not sure if that's the case with box sets).

21. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Thanks for the info about imports - very encouraging, since I ended up ordering the Zappa set, then had second thoughts and messaged HD-wow to cancel - and got notification today that my order has been despatched! Gulp....!

22. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Wow HD has seen a noticeable increase in prices. I use the UK site where prices are in £ and all titles have gone up significantly. Items in my wish list that were around £12 are now over£17 also taking them over the £15 VAT threshold. Very disappointing.

23. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Yes I spotted that last night. As you say a significant increase.

24. davebush

Yes, this is disappointing - although their free shipping is still a big plus.

25. sacdfan

sacdfan Forum Resident

I can’t understand the reasoning behind the sudden huge increases in their prices. They obviously no longer want to sell into the U.K. market. They are now far more expensive than their competitors over here and any orders take far longer to get here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.