Nickelback.... why are they hated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jtsnow11, Apr 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Nickelback is/was like the McDonalds of music. Being mediocre and also being everywhere tends to inspire backlash.

jtsnow11 likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

They're the world's most hated band. Now that's a talent.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Valzentia, jtsnow11 and citizensmurf like this.
  3. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

You should. Lol.

lucan_g likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I don't hate them anymore but when I was much younger I absolutely hated the fact that someone like Cobain killed himself while a dude like Kroeger was cashing in. Actually it was nothing personal I never could stand "How You Remind Me", even when it was just a song that DJs at our local indie club put between Kyuss and Monster Magnet. "Spacelord", can you imagine? :biglaugh:

All this was very long ago. And doesn't matter now! :cheers:

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I don't hate them, I just find their music bland and generic. Just as I found a lot of popular rock in the early 2000's. Its got nothing to do with "those darn kids today" as I was their target demo. Anyone who thinks that's the case is severely out of touch.

Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Creed, Limp Bizkit, all of those bands I rolled my eyes at in the 2000's and all whom were played incessantly on rock stations. People only mention Nickelback more than others because they've somehow endured. But to each their own. I've never mocked anyone for liking them.

6. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Agreed they don't need to be saved, I'm just calling out what I see, and the hate for Nickelback is definitely akin to bully culture. Just because its a rock band and not a high school outsider doesn't make the motivation any different.

I don't actually like their music, but I certainly don't hate them.

7. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

They just aren’t very good or original. No need to hate them though, they’re easy enough to ignore.

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Respected like the guys from Slipknot? Is this really not a joke? Slipknot is the worst of the worst Hot Topic Walmart Metal band of them all.

dadonred likes this.
  9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

:righton:

10. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

This is what I've never understood. That Silver Side Up album was huge and "Rockstar" was everywhere for a while, but outside of that I couldn't even name one of their other songs. I hear more crappy Maroon 5 songs in a day than any Nickelback song for a decade. Unless it's different in the US, people must be actively seeking out this stuff to hate on, which I'll never get.

dadonred and thehatandbeard like this.
  11. citizensmurf

That clip was from 2003 but got a lot of mileage. Certainly here in Canada, the Nickelback "hate" was in full force in the mid 00s. So much so that a Calgary, AB (same province that birthed the band) alternative rock radio station that started up in 2007 had a "No Nickelback Guarantee". For such a state to occur, the collective hate had to have been quite substantial, and I can tell you it was.

12. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

I think this goes back to Creed. Even though they were watered down grunge, they were the darlings of mainstream rock until they proved themselves a one trick pony and then Scott Stapp revealed how much of a train wreck he was. Nickelback stepped up to take the mantle of something a lot of people had just soured on, and were even further a watering down of Creed. I think a lot of the listening public realized rock producers were pretty tone deaf to how they really felt about this stuff so gave Nickelback the badge of being everything wrong with mainstream rock.

Purple and citizensmurf like this.
  13. citizensmurf

Yes but you don't have memes about Slipknot hate going viral do you? I chose them because they were Roadrunner labelmates and both quite popular at the same time, yet it was NB who caught all the flack.

I realize I'm sounding like a Nickelback apologist, but I'm really highlighting the nature and danger of mob mentality.

dadonred likes this.
  14. Rockin' Ricky

Rockin' Ricky Forum Resident

Because some people were vitriolic enough that it became a so called "meme," and now everybody thinks it makes them oh so cool if they join in. Having heard plenty of "alternative rock" from my son's bedroom while he grew up, I know for a fact that they're no better or worse than any number of other bands of that ilk!

15. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Oooh, can I join in? I wanna be cool too. I hardly know anything about them though.
    Same reason people that hate Bon Jovi I guess.

16. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Maroon 5 are even worse than Nickelback because they never really went away, but they rebranded themselves into a pure pop band so it's a different beast

dadonred and Helter Skelter like this.
  17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Wow. Took a bit longer for the backlash stateside because they were really massive around 2007 to where you couldn't avoid "Rockstar" even if you didn't listen to radio or whatever. It was around 2011 when the backlash started becoming evident here.

I do think the fact that "alternative" radio initially quickly embraced groups like them and Creed also added to the hatred of them, because that would've been like college rock stations in 1987 playing Bon Jovi and Poison alongside R.E.M. and Depeche Mode. Those groups do not fit any form of "alternative" yet were dominating that format in the late 90s/early 2000s when there was absolutely nothing about them that had any appeal to someone who wanted Portishead or Guided By Voices.

Purple and citizensmurf like this.
  18. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

not sure why Nickelback got singled out for hate... for example 3 Doors Down were similar commercial rock around the same time, but they do not generate as much dislike? I've enjoyed songs by both bands

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Closed negative thread.

stereoptic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.