Discuss & Rate Beach Boys Songs Day by Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wata, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Overall, I enjoy the Gettin' In Over My Head album. After the polished and tightly perfected Imagination -- yes, I was expecting more. But I enjoyed what I heard. The album feels and sounds relaxed. It sounded like Brian was now consistently in a much better place. Gone was the odd, paranoid and bizarre Brian Wilson of his 1988 debut solo album. Or the one found on a lot of those weird 80s/90s tracks that remain shelved for the most part. This sounds like a healthy Brian Wilson and he sounds like he's in a good place. This album simply makes me feel good.

Sure, parts of it don't hold up quite as well under a strict microscope. Reviewing each individual track against earlier versions and productions reveal some issues. Or closely examining some song lyrics and the wobbly vocals, and all the rest. Yes, it is not Imagination. But I like the basic, easy approach it lends. If Imagination was perfectly tuned and constructed like nothing bad had ever happened, Gettin' In Over My Head is like a chillaxed Saturday morning, garage band vibe.

Gettin' In Over My Head's major deficiency is that it seems like it was rushed. I like the sound of the recording, but spending time reviewing each track does highlight production issues -- for me, vocal issues mainly. Performances that could be corrected with a light auto-tune or even another take or two. Not sure. But overall I like the sparse loose feel. Overall.

So... I'll take it. I'm glad it was released. This album gets more spins than probably any other Brian solo album, save for Imagination and maybe Lucky Old Sun. Warts and all. It's just not demanding, nor does it require any particular mood. I don't judge it when I'm relaxing and playing it. I don't ruminate on the sloppiness here and there -- I'm just glad I've got a loose, chilled out, healthy-sounding Brian Wilson album to listen to. Filled with Brian Wilson music. And tons of harmonies that only this man seems to know how to make.

I cherish it. Probably a 3.5, but since we're only doing whole numbers, I have no issue rounding it up to a 4.

smilin ed, Mr. D, Will Harris and 3 others like this.
  2. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Brian hasn't made that many albums. Gettin' in Over My Head will continue to be a part of my listening experience. It came out at a time
    I wanted something new. Hearing the post Imagination live material had sparked a new interest in Brian's music. A return I didn't expect
    would be as good as it was. In 2004 I was a year away from my first in-home computer, and the world that opened up to finding access to all
    the boots and files I'd been missing. I didn't have Sweet Insanity in my collection, so these versions were the first way I heard those songs.

15 years later, I have most everything. I can re-evaluate to no end. I still like this record as much as I did when it hit the racks, some of it more.
    It's hard to rate Brian's music post Beach Boys. It's not as good, I agree. But it is good. The time it came out has to be factored in. 3/5, Strong
    6/10.

The MEZ, oldsurferdude, Mr. D and 4 others like this.
  3. Wata

Wata Poller Thread Starter

Your ratings for the album Gettin' In Over My Head:
    1-2 votes
    2-5 votes
    3-1 vote
    4-1 vote
    5-0 vote

The MEZ likes this.
  4. Wata

Today's song is Believe in Yourself:

5. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

Despite the fact that the melody invokes the Joe Thomas written coda of Imagination's 'Sunshine', 'Believe in yourself' might be my favourite of the GIOMH sessions. Incredibly it was only used in a cartoon and then later released on a Beach Boys ESQ fanclub magazine release - it could have easily been on Brian's anthology compilation, had they bothered to give it an extra disc mopping up all his extra tracks - of which there are loads.
    The track has got a bit more energy and excitement than the rest of the album and would have been a welcome addition. 3/5.

6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Definitely a fun song and a good melody. 4/5

Will Harris, oldsurferdude and TimM like this.
  7. TimM

TimM Senior Member

The lyric is trite, but the track and vocal are solid. Definitely should have been on the album. 3/5

Mr. D and oldsurferdude like this.
  8. Brandon Spano

Brandon Spano Forum Resident

Never heard this one before. Nothing too special but it's alright. 3/5

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    TimM and oldsurferdude like this.
  9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Believe - sounds like a Brian Wilson song. 3/5

TimM likes this.
  10. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

I’m not particularly impressed with this - the production is overly cluttered, the melody OK but nothing special, lyrics blah. Can’t go over 2/5.

TimM and oldsurferdude like this.
  11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Fun song; that's about it. 2

oldsurferdude likes this.
  12. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

It's jam packed with energy but fails to come together. Brian's vocal is just about meh. My first time hearing this but didn't expect too much. 2/5

smilin ed likes this.
  13. Brandon Spano

Brandon Spano Forum Resident

On reflection, i'd like to change my score to a 2/5.

oldsurferdude and smilin ed like this.
  14. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Is there a version without the cartoon effects?

Trite lyrics but a good melody and energy make up for it. The bridge part elevated it to a 3 for me.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  15. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I must have seen the original 1953 cartoon short, but I didn't watch the Tv show in the mid-2000s.

I first heard "Believe In Yourself" around 2015 when somebody posted it on a BB message board.

Don't have the ESQ disc, were the cartoon effects edited out? (Me, Mr D, and the rest of the world?)
    are waiting to know!

I like it. 3/5, 6/10.

16. Lance LaSalle

No cartoon effects on my version (from ESQ.)

Will Harris, pablo fanques and Mr. D like this.
  17. Turk Thrust

Turk Thrust Forum Resident

A fun song which isn't anything to get excited about. The lyrics are cheesy, but at least Brian seems to be putting a little bit of effort into his vocals this time.

3/5.

Will Harris, pablo fanques and Mr. D like this.
  18. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

19. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I like this song. It's definitely a Beach Boys song. It sounds like it could have/should have been added to a mid-2000s Beach Boys album if they did one. Might have fit on That's Why God Made The Radio. That album could have used another upbeat surfer/rocker.

Easy 3.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Sounds like it could have come straight from Still Cruisin'...

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Better than some of the era 3/5.

oldsurferdude and Lance LaSalle like this.
  22. Wata

Your ratings for Believe in Yourself:
    1-0 vote
    2-4 votes
    3-8 votes
    4-1 vote
    5-1 vote

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  23. Wata

Today's song is Our Prayer/Gee:

24. Lance LaSalle

5/5. Does not have the Beach Boys’ magic, but still great.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not as good as BB blend, obviously, and I'm annoyed that "Gee" is now permanently attached to Prayer. 4/5

lou likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.