Will we get deluxe box sets of the remaining two Monkees albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Andrew posted on FB three days ago (under an unrelated thread) that he is ready but waiting on Rhino.

Grand_Ennui, Pawnmower and FJFP like this.
  2. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Ready to go or ready to get working on them?

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Ready to start work on them.

If Rhino finally does give him the go ahead, I hope he can compile both boxes at the same time even though we all know they will only release one at time.

FJFP likes this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

That sucks. I was hoping they already had work done for the next box and were just figuring out the release date.

Galley likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I guess there's always hope.

A release of both prior to the release of the updated Day by Day book followed by the Mixology book would be too good to be true but much welcomed!

6. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

If for some reason Rhino were only able to release one more Monkees super deluxe box set the thing that makes PAC & JONES LTD the strongest contender and the most sensible choice in my opinion is that it is technically the only Monkees album that hasn’t so far been given this deluxe treatment.
    And above all, this 1967 album is by far their greatest achievement and for me that alone merits a brand new 3CD release.

Now Rhino has already given us the following super deluxe treatments (and for the most part I am very satisfied)

THE MONKEES
    (my one complaint is that they didn’t include the master backing track for “Papa Gene’s Blues” which is freely available all over the internet)
    MORE OF THE MONKEES
    (the remixed backing track and the new remix of “Sometime In The Morning” is worth the price of admission alone - absolutely stunning)
    THE MONKEES HEADQUARTERS SESSIONS (although not technically a box set)
    THE BIRDS, THE BEES & THE MONKEES
    (the tracking sessions for “Someday Man” and “A Man Without A Dream” are just incredible)
    HEAD (the worst of the bunch IMO and a wasted opportunity)
    INSTANT REPLAY
    (A hodgepodge in the best sense of the word)
    THE MONKEES PRESENT
    (another weak link with a few redeeming moments such as the sessions for Davy’s songs, “If I Knew” and “French Song” as well as Micky’s songs including “Mommy And Daddy” and “Pillow Time”
    AND the single most bizarre track to ever grace a Monkees release “London Bridge”

So that leaves only PAC & JONES LTD and CHANGES (which barely constitutes a proper Monkees album)

I totally disagree that the well has run dry as far as quality material goes for “Pisces” but then again I am not privy as to what still exists in the vaults. After looking over the track listings on the other box sets it appears that none of them contain any proper selections from this album.
    The only orphaned tracks that I came across covering this period were Peter’s “Come On In” and “Lady’s Baby” along with two early versions of “A Man Without A Dream” as well as the TV version of “I’ll Be Back Up On My Feet” and an early tracking demo of “We Were Made For Each Other.”

So I realize that doesn’t leave much in the way of unreleased rarities but I would be in absolute Monkee studio heaven if I could hear tracking sessions, variations and master backing tracks for:
    The Door Into Summer
    Love Is Only Sleeping
    Cuddly Toy
    Words
    What Am I Doing Hangin’ Round
    Pleasant Valley Sunday
    Daily Nightly
    Star Collector
    Goin’ Down

And I don’t think I would need anything else in the Monkees box set world and I would definitely be one happy man!

Is anyone else with me?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Hep Alien, djoseph56, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Nah. Lol.

I'd like to see Headquarters & PACJ done in the same make and fashion as the other SDEs.

Then do an all encompassing Missing Links SDE. Include whatever is releasable. There's demos (Keys to the Car) and an unreleased Nez instrumental and I'm sure other odds & ends that would make a very nice package.

8. FJFP

I LOVE the Present Box, and don’t feel it was wasted at all. So many great unreleased vintage mixes on there, which is what I’m all about.

9. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Are the studio album CD(s) in these Super Deluxe editions the same as the Deluxe editions from 2006ish?

10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

There are the backing tracks for all of the early 1967 NY sessions that still have not been put out there (Sugar Man, Eve Of My Sorrow, etc.) that would only fit onto a Headquarters Super Deluxe. To me, those tracks are more important than a rehash of the (very) few pieces that we know that could go onto a PACJ Super Deluxe. Although PACJ is my favorite Monkees album, The amount of extras make it less attractive the a HQ set for me-and I do have HQ sessions.

Hep Alien, D-rock and FJFP like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Curious as to what you may have liked to see them do differently than what we got with the HEAD super deluxe set?

I mean with only six proper songs from the soundtrack, and of course alternate mixes, etc. they really didn't have a ton to work with.

I loved the additions of the live stuff from Salt Lake City, though if there are/were any existing live tracks they performed (without vocals), I would have liked to seen those included as well.

Pizza and D-rock like this.
  12. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

No.

13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Well for one thing...The sound quality and mastering was terrible, after all the talk about "better sources" being found. It was compressed and bright, the stereo channels were folded in and they used the wrong mix of "As We Go Along". The original CD from 1994 that was mastered by Bill Inglot and Ken Perry is a lot better and remains definitive. That was when I stopped buying into the marketing hype about these sets sounding better and using better sources.

14. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Thank you.

15. Pizza

I was amazed and thrilled when Head got the deluxe treatment. I never saw that coming. I was happy to get it and enjoy it very much. Still my go to for listening is an import CD of the soundtrack that mixes in the full length version The Porpoise Song into the album proper. It just raises the bar.

Has there been any recent rumblings for a new box set? Did the live album go over okay to encourage more Monkees stuff? I’m still surprised they released a duo configuration and didn’t release the two previous trio tours with featured Mike or Davy. I would have made a box of those.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

This is what we need:

1. Headquarters SDE (Released in June 2020)

2. Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones, Ltd SDE (Released in November 2020)

3. Andrew's updated Day by Day book post the releases of the SDEs (Released in December 2020)

4. The Monkees Mixology Book post all that. (Released Dec 2020 or the first quarter of 2021)

Everything else after that is gravy baby. It'll still be exciting to see new 7A releases and maybe more "Sandoval" Monkee releases.

17. FJFP

I'd like it a bit more spaced out than that, but yes please!

Limited reissue of the BBM and HEAD box after that too ;) [never going to happen, but ah well!]

18. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

If we ever got a Changes box set it would be like the debut album box except with even more solo stuff

FJFP likes this.
  19. FJFP

I guess it would have another mix of I Never Thought It Perculiar too!

As a side note, as there was no "1969 Stereo mix" of Midnight Train on the Present deluxe, are we to assume the Changes Mix would be the correct one to substitute in?

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

At this rate, I'll be in my 90s before I get the PAC&J SDE. Lol.

At least one this year and the other next year.

Grand_Ennui, Pizza and FJFP like this.
  21. FJFP

Oh yeah, this I can’t 100% support - I don’t want a 2nd box any later than the year after the 1st.

D-rock likes this.
  22. Pizza

Headquarters Sessions was released 20 years ago in 2000. Unbelievable! It was almost 10 years later in 2009 (copyright year 0n back of the box) for The Birds, the Bees and the Monkees to finally be born as a 3 CD box.

Then bam, bam, bam, bam we got Head Soundtrack in 2010, Instant Replay 2011, Monkees Present 2013 and The Monkees 2014.

More of the Monkees took its time to appear three years later in 2017.

Other special sets included 1967 Complete Concerts in 2001 and the blu-ray box for the TV series in 2016. I really think the TV set may have killed the deluxe sets series. Hope not.

Not sure how well More of the Monkees did. If I recall correctly they piggy-backed the box sets for The Monkees and More of the Monkees off of current tours where some ticket buyers got the sets as a premium.

23. futureinreverse

futureinreverse Forum Resident

The Monkee barrel has been scraped and scraped again. How many alternate mixes of "Star Collector" do you need? If there's anything interesting in the archives, it has already been released.

24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I disagree with you and I'm guessing Mr. Sandoval does too. And how do you know what's in the archives/vaults?

25. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Another "know it all" who actually knows nothing and would seek to deny a release for the many who would welcome it.

Sidewinder43, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.