Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yeah, the whole angle post-Saudi was with the human American Bad Ass character as opposed to the superhuman Dead Man. The one with a wife and Twitter account. :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

goldberg probably will walk off maybe to appear in AEW at some point. he wanted to drop the belt to roman reigns. told vince he would whenever roman came back and instead vince told him he was going to drop it to a fill in who the last few months strowman was losing to practically everyone so made no sense at all he'd win this. very disrespectful to goldberg imo and cheers to goldberg for still doing what he was told before he had words after the match backstage with vince

3. RayS

You mean like the way Goldberg beat Bray Wyatt clean in short order after Seth Rollins couldn't stop him with a sledgehammer or a toolbox?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

this is why wwe has some many issues. there was really no push lately at all for strowman but lets plug him into a match at the biggest ppv event and give him one of the big titles. what world does that make sense? what makes sense is the wwe had a big plan for roman and goldberg. it fill apart and since they aren't making money just threw goldberg aside since that was the end of his current contract.

5. RayS

Tough to have the belt on a guy not under contract, right, even if he offered a handshake deal to come back and drop it later? I'm sure visions of the belt being dropped into a garbage can on AEW would be dancing in Vince's head.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Matthew Tate

that was the point. he asked for another contract to drop the belt to roman later. i heard he said he was hoping to drop it at summerslam and they told him to take a hike and made no offer to him

7. RayS

At this point my personal preference is that they go on hiatus before the “show must go on” approach leads to someone unknowingly making others sick. I wouldn’t give Goldberg a dime under uncertain circumstances, but I wouldn’t have given him a dime in the first place. :)

Thwacko and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. RayS

Surely the line of the night:

Cole: “Who in WWE history does Otis remind you of?”
    JBL: “Ivan Putski ... if he would have eaten Bam Bam Bigelow.”

9. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

It was a much better show overall than it had any right to be. While the crowd not being there can’t really be overcome, it added excitement to hear the stiffer shots being laid in, to hear the trash talking and the cries of pain. Overall match quality was better than I expected. Highlights were Charlotte vs Rhea Ripley, best match of the weekend but wrong outcome IMO. Enjoyed Daniel Bryan vs Sami Zayn, good hard hitting match with a crap tv finish. This Gulak/Bryan pairing is gold. Definitely tired of these world title matches turning into finishing move spamming. I get that Goldberg needs to be kept on a short leash but Drew and Lesnar really should’ve put on a more epic heavyweight fight.

The 2 non-matches are hard to really rate in any meaningful way but they were enjoyable. Honestly this was probably more exciting than an actual Cena/Wyatt match would be at this point. Worst match was Edge/Orton. My god, I appreciate the effort but this walk and brawl style is beyond dated and for 37 mind numbing minutes as well! Last man standing is often a drag, I think NJPW got it right with the recent Archer/Moxley match. No need to count to 10 after every frigging move, just after high impact ones. Just a straight no DQ would’ve flowed better. Was also disappointed with the finish to Shayna/Lynch, Bayzler already lost like this in NXT so it was a bummer to see the same finish in her biggest match. But it does look like the program is continuing so that’s a plus.

RayS and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. RayS

I absolutely agree that Flair-Ripley was the best match of the two days, and that Edge-Orton was interminably long. I was not a fan of the Firefly Fun Match.

11. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

I enjoyed the boneyard match, but I understand why purists wouldn’t like it. Hearing Undertaker taunt AJ Styles through the brawl was a highlight.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

This looks pretty cool, I'll watch the whole thing later when I have time:

Posted by NWA since they don't have any new POWERRR episodes. This one even has old commercials.

13. MikeInFla

Another good episode of Dark Side Of The Ring. At the time this happened I no longer had cable (was recently married and poor as dirt so I had no access to WWF at the time). I had no idea the event even happened but I'll agree with JR and Cornette that the whole thing was a really bad idea.

From a news site:

Brawl For All is a hot topic today thanks to Dark Side of the Ring, which revisited the famously disastrous tournament in its most recent episode. It apparently wasn’t so bad that Vince McMahon didn’t try to bring it back, though, as a former WWE writer says McMahon wanted it revived back in the reality show era of NXT, which started in 2010.

John Piermarini, who was a writer for WWE in 2009 and 2010, posted to Twitter on Wednesday amid discussion of the Brawl For All to recall the situation. He said that McMahon wanted to use it with NXT stars from the reality competition era before it became its own brand. Piermarini said that McMahon “had to be talked out of it” and that the conversation didn’t make it past the production meeting.

The Brawl For All tournament was a shoot fight tournament that was suggested by Vince Russo because he was irritated by JBL saying he could beat everyone in the locker room up in real life. The sixteen-man tournament resulted in Bart Gunn unexpectedly winning, while also shortening the careers of several competitors due to injuries and derailing plans for a major push for “Dr. Death” Steve Williams.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was also working boxing and kick boxing at the time and I KNEW it was stupid. It was a modified tough man contest and I had already seen the damage those could do to an untrained fighter. And then there was Butterbean. Bart had to know he was going to get killed. The bastard is a REAL knockout artist. I would have quit first. The thought of an MMA style rematch could have been more even if he could get Bean off his feet.
    Bart had little technique but a good eye and anticipation/timing. He could have been trained to be average.
    I know Severn. He was smart to ditch this BS. He was capable of hurting anyone and this was not a work. It was not what he thought it would be. He saw no upside.
    Russo is still an idiot.

Matthew Tate, RayS and MikeInFla like this.
  15. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

16. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. RayS

Yeah, she's a lifelong mark for pro wrestling, she'd hardly disparage it ... she was working this angle when she went heel before the big WM main event last year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Valkenburg

I had no idea that she was still under contract with WWE. I guess she'll come back as a heel to face Lynch.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. RayS

Here's Ronda doing a "breaking kayfabe" heel angle from last year. This isn't new stuff. :)

Warning for lots of foul language

Valkenburg and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Already did that. It looks like they are teeing up a feud with Nia Jax.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Valkenburg

22. MikeInFla

And now WWE is essential?!? So I guess it is the same as Disney workers (who had been working, not sure about now). Disney workers need to keep 6 feet apart, water plants and wear masks.

I see it now: stay 6 feet apart in the ring, wear a mask, put plants on each corner of the ring and water them.

Adam Page from AEW said on April 2 that his business was not essential. When he saw the news about WWE he replied to his own tweet with "oh nevermind".

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

At the risk of having this post removed....
    Guess who is on the panel that he who shall not be named put together to determine which businesses are essential. The ones who instructed the somewhat slow governor. She is an expert on small businesses and her name rhymes with Rinda RicRann.
    Conflict of interest anybody?

24. MikeInFla

And "Rinda RicRann" also pledged to commit $18.5 million in spending to the state on the same day.

Valkenburg and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I was just about to refine my post. This is not Rinda in any capacity other than political corruption. She should worry. People go to jail for this stuff and her boo won't be in power forever.

Matthew Tate likes this.