Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No - it's Dr. Tongue! :)

Ron P. likes this.
  2. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I think that scene is probably the best scene in the movie

spanky1 likes this.
  3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I saw this Saturday night. Bought the Blu-ray a few weeks ago but needed the time to watch it.

I really enjoyed it. I thought both Brad and Leo were terrific, and Margaret Qualley was excellent.

The scene at the ranch was brilliant, and for me, when the film turns. That dark turn gradually crept up on me.

4. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Yeah, well, who hasn’t

Ron P. and Dinstun like this.
  5. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

I carried it once myself. .......(sorry, just making stuff up now).

How are things in ABQ? No more Doc and Eddy's I hear. It's my fault. I started going to Slate Street instead.

6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Yeah, that Tarantino has it all wrong... nobody plays Buffy Sainte Marie, not when Joni was so much hotter, doesn't that guy know anything? I think one of the Mamas & Papas might've been named Denny, someone should tell him that, it's like the Beatles had a Bingo or Bongo or something.

This has been an elaborate put-on right? A set-up to irritate and depress the people this film was made for? Nobody could be that unaware of the blacklisting of Buffy, or not even remember Kicks, right? Right? :agree:

Oh yeah, the cowboy actor must be based on like uh John Wayne. Nobody ever heard of shows called Have Gun Will Travel or The Rifleman (or if they did they would know like me they weren't authentic like John Wayne).

7. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

8. Ron P.

Ron P. Forum Resident

John Prine died for any here interested. What a shame. What a loss. Very sad. Threads are already started.

zoostation likes this.
  9. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I think this scene served another purpose... to give some backstory to those who don't know much about the Manson murders.

My wife knew of Manson, knew that he was crazy and a murderer. But she didn't really have any idea who Sharon Tate was, let alone Jay Sebring. She didn't know much about the Family. The Spahn Ranch scene is pivotal for those who aren't privy to the backstory, and it does indeed change the tone of the entire movie.

10. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

How is the extended version available?

11. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

It’s not. There are extra scenes that are included with the bonus features on the release but they’re not edited into the movie. None of them include Rick or Cliff so I’m guessing those are being saved for a future extended release. At least I’m hoping so.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Good points. I think a lot of us just take for granted how much of the story is generally known. Hard as it is to believe, I'm going to have to assume their were lots of audience members who had almost no knowledge of any of this. So, considering that, maybe that full 20 minutes was really needed.

Ron P. likes this.
  13. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

The DVD and BluRay have extra scenes, one being when the two Lancer brothers meet (half-brothers that is) and follow their adopted sister who is in the wagon.
    Check out this from a CBS Series Summer 1968 Episodes Promotional Preview

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  14. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

There also was a short-lived 4 panel comic strip, in the "Judge Parker" style, that ran for several weeks in some newspapers entitled "Boston & Jughead" to tie-into/promote the new show.

#notreally

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    Ron P. and SunSon like this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Uh...pandering? Django is without a doubt QT's most 'dumbed-down' and least original feature IMO.

hi_watt likes this.
  16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Judging just from the info on Wikipedia, I'd say that having Sony Pictures handling international distribution made a huge difference.
    Quentin Tarantino - Wikipedia

twicks and Lightworker like this.
  17. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I love Django. From a writing stand point not his best but Its a ton of fun especially the first hour (wish we could have a whole movie of them bounty hunting all winter) It also has some really great characters.

Just noticed this: interesting how Django was made after Inglorious Basterds and the good guy Dr Schultz is German.

Jrr and Mr. E. Tramp like this.
  18. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Django is one of the Trilogy. QT calls it that but he also says that the movies are unrelated.
    In true QTarian fashion The Trilogy was not released in chronological order of the time frame within the three movies.
    In correct time line;
    Django is pre-Civil War, a German bounty hunter helps an African slave in America gain his freedom.
    The Hateful Eight, post-Civil War America where it's every man for himself and the war never really ends.
    Inglourious Basterds, during WWII a White Southern American comes to Germany to free Jews.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Fortunately, QT got all of that tedious 'virtue signaling' out of his system before he made Once Upon A Time...In Hollywood. It's a better film for it.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

Saw OUATIH again last night on 4K BR and liked it even better than at the cinema.

ego1jr and Jrr like this.
  21. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

All good points. I really feel that anyone who is not knowledgeable of the details of those murders should spend 10 minutes on Wikipedia reading about the Tate/LaBianca murders before they watch the movie. Certainly helps to put things in context and actually allows the viewer to fully appreciate how well Q. Tarantino re-wrote history.

willy, ego1jr and Tim S like this.
  22. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I've had this pet theory for a while... I think QT's first thought when constructing the counterfactual narrative for the film was "What if Steve McQueen had been at Sharon's house that night?"

Of course, from the start of the film it was clear that a major part of the narrative was that stuntmen do all the grunt work for actors. So it couldn't have been Steve McQueen who saved Sharon, it had to be a stuntman. Enter Cliff.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Yes and then who got the hug from Sharon? The star of the show.

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

loved the use of vanilla fudge - 'you keep me hangin on' during the intense final scene, very reminiscent of iron butterfly 'in-a-gadda-da-vida' in 'manhunter.

25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

and played thru a classic Marantz