Sony reissuing the Miles Davis “complete” series....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frankfan1, Apr 13, 2020.

1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok Thread Starter

Forgive if this is a duplicate. I searched and didn’t see it elsewhere.

Sony seems to be reissuing the metal spine “complete” recordings of Miles Davis. Some of these sets went in and out of print quickly, some going for hundreds second hand. The Miles Davis store says that they’ll ship May 1.

Disappointed, though, that the “Cellar Door” sessions isn’t on the list.

The Complete Sessions | Shop the Miles Davis Official Store

2. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I got each of these on their dates of release, but I think it’s wonderful that these collections are being made widely available - and at very fair prices - once again.

Jam757, Tim Bucknall, art and 15 others like this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Nice to see the Complete On The Corner set get reissued. This is a great set that has way too high of a price on the used/collectible market that I think discouraged many folks from exploring it.

uzn007, Tim Bucknall, Scott6 and 22 others like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is a great sign for those of us that still like and buy CDs. Sony still see them as worth reissuing.

5. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Nice. The only one I'm missing is the On The Corner sessions. I'm still not sure I want to spend $70 on it as it probably wouldn't get a ton of listening. I've got my money's worth out of the other ones, especially after I ripped them to my music server!

peskypesky, wgb113 and Uncle Miles like this.
  6. MilesTrane

MilesTrane Forum Resident

I have all of these also but I am glad to see them rereleased. I may even want to replace some sets I have that are worn or damaged. For instance my complete Coltrane set has one disc with a bad skip type scratch. Thanks for the heads up on this.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How’s the sound on these?

RubenH likes this.
  8. The mastering is contemporary with the stand alone Legacy versions of each album reissued between mid 90s and mid 00s. That's to say they're all very good SQ.

9. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

Will they be available in Europe for ordering?
    Additionally, I have Bitches brew 40th anniversary set. Would this be a good upgrade ?

10. They're not offered in Europe as far as I can tell currently.

No, stick with BB 40th; the Complete is a waste of money and contains only non BB session material of marginal interest.

11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thank you Steve

SteveM likes this.
  12. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Great ! :)

Very good, I will be ordering.

peskypesky likes this.
  13. UlisesLima

UlisesLima Forum Resident

Thanks. Then I will go with Complete sessions with John Coltrane. All the other albums I own already from Perfect Miles Columbia box of 20 albums.
    Although these "complete sessions sets" look quality made for collectors.

Tom Stigler and peskypesky like this.
  14. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

I love the Jack Johnson set. I had the BB one as well but didn't find that it had much value for me.

15. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I think they're very attractive on a shelf and nice to browse through with tons of interesting information. For listening I find them less perfect, as the discs aren't well protected, and at least for the sets with Coltrane and the Quintet, the music is basically in chronological order, not original album order. But a music server takes care of both those issues.

peskypesky and UlisesLima like this.
  16. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

I have the Trumpet Case with all of these and the Cellar Door set, all fantastic and must haves for miles fans, awesome packaging.

17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have all but one of these. I never found a Plugged Nickel. If that's coming again, then I'm in.

As for the other sets, they're obviously wonderful. On the Corner was the one that blew me away. One thing though, I've never liked the binding on the books, they're too tight and can be difficult to read. Still, never mind, the music is great. Hugely good news for those that missed out.

18. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

Let’s hope they are catching up on the backlogged demand for these in prep for release of a complete Live 74-75 set!

19. I have the Trumpet Case box but somehow missed the Cellar Door box. Think it’s time to put it on my want list.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  20. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Cellar Door wasn't in the series - all the others have numbers on them 1-8,

They were issued out of order which made the numbering seem a little odd when they came out but eventually made sense.

If I have it right it went 2-4-6-1-5-7-3-8 from 1996 through to 2007.

21. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Wow, this gives me a couple of big decisions to make.

22. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

I own them all already including The Cellar Door Sessions, which, sadly, for the completist is still OOP.

Rich-n-Roll and audiomixer like this.
  23. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Finally I'll get to hear the Complete On The Corner

24. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

They’re all on Spotify

25. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Just a quick thought, are these likely to be exclusive to the MD website or will they appear on European websites (Amazon for example) or will I be able to order them through my local record shop (in Scotland)?

Yesternow likes this.