Considered A Classic Album ( But You Don't Call It That )

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Mar 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's my twelfth favourite Byrds studio album. :)

2. Fritha71

Fritha71 Forum Resident

No worries, I didn't :) And lucky you for having witnessed him live at that point!

I totally get what you're saying - I do remember how praised and successful that album was back in the day and yet it kind of disappeared from collective memory relatively quickly as time went by. He apparently released a follow-up two years later but I actually have no recollection of it at all. I can recall his "Sign Your Name" type of hit from the early 90s, which was a duet with a female singer...( ah, had to check, it was called "Delicate".)

3. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

:cool:

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And I had great seats, too! Might've even been front row - definitely first 5 rows.

Never saw him again, though I think illness played a role. I know he came back to DC in late 1989, and I had an awful case of the flu.

Not 100% sure that flu kept me from the show, but I think it did.

I was so sick I barely made it to the Stones concert right before Christmas, and I'd spent $250 on that ticket - an insane amount in 1989, especially since I was a college student! :eek:

I guess TTD didn't totally fade in UK/Europe after his debut, though he clearly plummeted in popularity. "Hardline" spawned 4 top 20 hits in the UK - 3 in the top 7 - but then "Flesh" couldn't chart a single there above 55!

"Flesh" also only got to #12 after "Hardline" was #1.

He did rebound in the UK with 5 top 20 hits from 1993-95, but he clearly never lived up to the hype of 1988.

In the US, he completely evaporated. "Hardline" went to #4 and spawned 2 top 4 singles, but none of the "Flesh" singles charted at all, and the album only got to #68.

His next 2 albums didn't even crack the top 100 in the US!

Fritha71 likes this.
  5. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

As for Steely Dan Aja, of course, it's a classic--but I don't like it that much. That said, it's a word of tremendous writing and craft--but "Home At Last" and "I Got The News" just aren't top-tier Steely Dan to me.

Gaucho? That's a classic to me and yet so many others probably disagree.

6. I disagree about Home At Last, but agree with your post in general. I've always got more kicks out of Gaucho than Aja.

zebop likes this.
  7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Aja is a brilliant, musical, subtle, intelligent, enduring, catchy, pop rock & jazz CLASSIC.

These threads are so silly.

8. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

My girlfriend just put on Nevermind by Nirvana. I like that record. I had it back in the day. I remember getting the follow up called In Utero. Complete horse**** of an album. Only one good track and after a few months I gave it away.
    Funny thing is I just looked it up on Wikipedia and the critics seem to like it. :shrug:

9. fried

fried Forum Resident

No it's not. It's rubbish.

10. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

The Dark Side Of The Moon springs to mind. Good album – in fact, a very good one – but it's by no means Pink Floyd's best to my ears. Wish You Were Here and Animals, which really are unalloyed classics, knock it into the proverbial cocked hat. I'd rate The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and A Saucerful Of Secrets above it as well. Probably Meddle too. Maybe even Atom Heart Mother.

Folknik likes this.
  11. McKigney

McKigney Forum Resident

No. If it's an established classic, I always attribute it to 'listener error', not the fault of the album.

12. O Don Piano

This is exactly why this kind of thread is a waste of time and witless.
    Like your reply.

Out!

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

For us AOR fans, Survivor's I Can't Hold Back from Vital Signs, is another corker.

14. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not sure this thread's a waste of time, despite the odd knuckle-headed response.

It's reminded me of some great songs, which is, I reckon, justification for its existence.

15. O Don Piano

Fair enough! :righton:

ianuaditis and carlwm like this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

"The bands that I like are arena rock; the bands that I don't like are corporate rock."

17. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Blonde on Blonde - easily the worse classic lp of all time.:hide::winkgrin:

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I've heard Guns and Roses' Appetite for Destruction twice. Didn't like it either time.
    As for Michael Jackson, I really like Thriller and Bad, but Off the Wall did nothing for me. To my ears, just a generic dance pop album.

19. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

The Wall.

they should have included a razor blade with that album.

Radiohead "ok computer"

man!. can someone say ...pretentious and overrated?

Incamera likes this.
  20. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The bands I like make music I enjoy. The bands I don't like, make music I regard as poor.

Never use the term corporate rock. Very few bands with even a modicum of success are not part of the machine.

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Hahaha

22. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Live at the Witch Trials, The Frenz Experiment to name two.

23. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

If they'd spent half as much time writing songs as they did working on guitar sounds it would have been worthy of the praise it's received over the years. I like it ok myself, for the record.

24. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

It's got like 2 memorable songs on it, but I agree it sounds amazing.

25. El Rich-o

El Rich-o Forum Resident

Perhaps on Aja though the musicianship got in the way of the music...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.