Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. bridgeless

bridgeless Forum Resident

Yep. The Real McCoy has been in my cart for a couple of days and it just jumped up $15.

Elofan and Sneezyachew like this.
  2. mackeyse

mackeyse Forum Resident

I'm glad someone else mentioned the I&D issue. I had some problems with Side B too, and some "sizzle noises" to on two copies. Didn't feel like going for a 3rd. The only dud out of the BN 80's I have found so far, Rest have been great

3. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Same here , my recollection was that my king was really good but its been a while. I generally like the MMs over Japanese pressings but the kings can compete. Ill have to listen after i get over my Konitz binge ive been on

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

And Point of Departure jumped up ANOTHER $10 since this morning. Was $65 last night, purchased at $75 this AM, and now sitting at $85. Yikes. No other jumps from my order, though Fuschia Swing Song was a consideration and has jumped from $75 to $90 now.

They're doing a really great job of making me nervous and considering trying to grab all the titles that are still around $65-$75.

5. The fact that they are jacking prices during the current situation regarding the economy and public health does not sit right with me - at all. While other retailers such as Acoustic Sounds are doing big sales, MMJ is sticking it to the customer. I was contemplating an order as I am not expecting SRXs this month, but I think I will get my jazz fix elsewhere.

6. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yeah, I agree that it leaves a little bad taste in my mouth. Might I venture that it seems a bit "tone deaf"?

Obviously one could argue that it's not an essential item, and they're not as big an operation as Acoustic Sounds, but they could make some sort of acknowledgement to the times given that many have a diminished capacity for discretionary spending. They could, for example, lower their free shipping limit, or offer up a 5-10% discount on a minimum purchase.

7. bridgeless

or, just not raise prices right now. They don’t have to lower them. Just don’t raise them.

ryu likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dont buy them. Nobody buy them. Theyll get the message.

Echidna Arf, ryu, YEX 750-1 and 6 others like this.
  9. Exactly. I was actually thinking to myself last night that it would be a good time for them to reduce their free shipping threshold to help encourage some spending for those that aren’t able to put together $200+ for records right now. Instead it seems they went the opposite route, which is disappointing. None of the records I was planning on ordering have gone up, but the principle of the matter rubs me the wrong way.

YEX 750-1 and AnalogJ like this.
  10. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I'm probably done ordering from them. The cost is too high for the quality of the product. I am completely justified in demanding absolute, 100% perfection for a new $85 record, and it just isn't there with Maiden Voyage. I haven't even played side two yet, but indications are that it isn't good. At some point the allure is gone when the price outweighs the value. I've now reached that point, and I can breathe easy knowing that my curiosity is completely satisfied, and I don't need any more. That's power.

Furthermore, the shipping cost is a joke. Sure they're mom and pop, but Discogs is mostly mom and pop, and none of them charge $10 to ship one record. Most charge half that.

Probably a good portion of their sales come from people in this thread egging each other on. Other people can justify that high price for a product that's good but not perfect? Fine by me, someone else can have it. The MM apologists may disagree, and that's fine.

11. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I agree. I was on a kick and spent a bunch last year and I’m just not as excited for these, especially with BN80 and TP provided equally as good options for far less money. Uh oh...did I just say they’re equally as good as MMJ??? Ducking for cover...

Kimiimacman and AnalogJ like this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I can understand why you feel that way, and I don't blame you. On the other hand, I don't blame anyone for clamoring for more. The music is great. The gatefold work is great. Quality control isn't as good as we'd like for what they cost. Perhaps no money can be thrown at vinyl reproduction and it be perfect, although I'm curious as to the defect rate of the ERC pressings.

The price manipulation as well as the cost of attaining free shipping just doesn't buy Music Matters a lot of love nor a lot of leeway for their reputation.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It costs me a whopping $47.50 USD to ship 1 title to Australia!

Crazysteve likes this.
  14. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Except on Maiden Voyage, where they messed up in numerous ways.

That buys a lot of vegemite!

Fractured and ryu like this.
  15. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

:laugh:

16. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

How good is the Australian dollar?!
    :sigh:
    (Antipodean political joke)

SJR likes this.
  17. Rob Zarzecki

Rob Zarzecki Forum Resident

Above was a March 7 post... Damn them upticks hiking this up 15.00 US... Judgement by Andrew Hill doubled to 99.95. :cussing:

H. Silver & The Jazz Messengers now 124.95!? Wowee Zowie.... At least Donald Byrd’s Cat walk is still amazingly 34.95.:righton:

18. bridgeless

Joe Henderson’s “our thing” went from $49 to $79 since last night.

The trend I’m observing is

1) album gets hyped on SHF
    2) I begin to consider for a future purchase
    3) price gets jacked up

Maybe we should shut this thread down before we all get priced out of future purchases.

19. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

A few months ago a friend of mine asked me about B1 on ‘Cat Walk’. He wanted to know if my copy had loud clicks for like 4-5 rounds at the opening of “Duke’s Mixture.”

I checked mine and it was perfect. No clicks. Then he asked whether mine was numbered. I told him it was and I bought it years ago. When I asked why he said he had gone through three unnumbered copies at the $34.95 price and all of them had awful clicks at the opening of Side B. And all of them had a similar defect visible under bright light.

It may have been two copies he had but I think he said it was three. Anyway, he was fairly convinced that was why they were $34.95.

20. Got mine at $35 and it’s flawless. Not discounting his experience just offering an additional perspective.

21. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Was that recently? I just paid $70+ for shipping 2LPs to Canada.

SJR likes this.
  22. Rob Zarzecki

10Percent discount code works, free shipping, 59.98 at Acoustic sounds. Joe Henderson Our Thing... Hope this helps... I thought the price was a bit high but now, not so much. They also have Jackie McLean BluesNick, no discount I think for $50

In and out is up to 99.95 now at mm.. Urgh

Dmann201 likes this.
  23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Yes. Every time I buy from the MM website I have the option of AUS/NZ 1 title postage which is around $47.50. For two titles the AUS/NZ option disappears and it's USPS worldwide (or whatever they use) which is over $100.

24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Well, that’s good news. When I heard that I was glad I had my old numbered copy in case they had a bad batch, but hopefully it was just a couple of bad ones from the batch they reduced to $35

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  25. Rob Zarzecki

Hey Tim. I've got the unnumbered version as well. I don't remember any problems with it. I'll give it a spin tomorrow just to make sure...