Once Upon a Time in Hollywood SPOILERS! SPOILER THREAD...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 30, 2019.

1. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

It was nice hearing Paul Revere & The Raiders as well. Sharon had good taste in music.

Mylene and Tim S like this.
  2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't care if they wore silly-azz costumes, or who wrote it, or if studio musicians played it - "Hungry" is an awesome song.

3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I watched 'I Am Steve McQueen' on On Demand and he dropped out of The Great Escape and demanded his lines be rewritten so Rick Dolton or George Peppard could have quite easily taken over the lead role.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

More likely Peppard since Rick Dalton didn't exist! ;)

5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I don't know about that, I saw a tape where Sharon Tate introduces Rick Dalton to some friends as a great actor.
    At least that's what I saw. :agree:

Oatsdad likes this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I'm just saying there's a lot more to Tarantino's fiction than out and out lies. There's careful research going on.

Ghostworld and SunSon like this.
  7. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

The true test of star power. In a QT movie and a Rolling Stones song.

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

VU Master, hi_watt, Old Rusty and 3 others like this.
  9. Das Bass

Das Bass Well-Known Member

New to the forum, and strictly because of this movie/thread. I’ve been reading through all posts off and on for a few days now. Great stuff in here.

First off, I have no shame in saying this is my favorite QT movie, and am a huge QT fan. Watched it in the theatre when it came out, and have watched it countless times since it premiered on STARZ. I feel like I see something new with every viewing, enhancing a movie I already really liked after the first viewing.

This may be way off, but one way I interpret this movie is one of happenstance.

Rick mentions very early living next door to Polanski. “I’m one pool party away.” In the same sequence, he talk about whether or not he’s just a “visitor” in Hollywood. The “pool party” with McQueen’s small sequence is then married up with the conversation about Rick being in contention for the lead in “The Great Escape.” If Rick has been at that pool party, had he gotten the role he so desperately wanted?

Rick, I see, is someone who has grinded his way to his current position, which is on a down turn, now being cast as “the heavy” as opposed to the up and coming lead. He doesn’t “know” the right people in town and is now struggling because of it. Tate is his opposite. Carefree, with doors opening due to relationships built.

Fast forward to the end...after Cliff is taken away in the ambulance. Perhaps my favorite scene is conversation between Rick, Jay Sebring and, later, Tate over the intercom. When Tate asks Rick if he wants to come up for a drink, and Sebring gives him the thumbs up right before the gate opens was the “yes!” moment for me. Is Rick finally going to get his chance??

I could go on, but that’s enough for now.

One thing on couldn’t help but notice, I don’t think I heard mention of the “flamethrower” training scene.

Rick: “All right...that’s too hot. Is there anything we can do about that heat”??
    Trainer: “Rick. It’s a flamethrower.”

If that little snippet doesn’t make you laugh...

hi_watt, Macman, Ghostworld and 6 others like this.
  10. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It's a big movie and not just in length of time. Almost every scene is sunny with big beautiful yellow splashes that engulf you to a different world.

"Hey Cliff, if it's cool with you and Rick turn the radio up louder and lets cruise over to the Troubadour to see who's playing tonight"

Ghostworld likes this.
  11. zoostation

zoostation Cover my face as the animals die.

I feel like QT is saying something by having the hippies on a cowboy ranch where actual westerns were shot, and having the actors in the western show look like hippies.

Torontotom, goldenoldie and ad180 like this.
  12. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

NOT hippies!

More like...Hell's Angels. (vroom-vroom)

13. Das Bass

Sorry for the wet hand.
    That’s OK. I’m used to it with you Rick.

14. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Cough, cough cough cough.
    Couuuugghhhh! cough cough.

(takes another drag)

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That actor was so funny. Lol. I loved him and the guy who played the strip club manager who gives Michael Madsen a hard time in "Kill Bill II." Two great Tarantino secondary characters, if which there aren't usually a lot.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  16. Das Bass

I have never been a DiCaprio fan. I felt he always way over acted his parts. I understand that sometimes happens with “younger” actors, but the way he performed always kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

With that said, I thought he was incredible in Once. Pitt got all the love, and he did a great job also, but I feel like DiCaprio did just as well, and maybe even better, with his role.

It’s been mentioned a couple of times in the thread, but his self-“motivation” scene in the trailer after flubbing his lines was spectacular.

“Eight ***** whiskey sours. I couldn’t stop at ***** three or four, I have eight?! Why?”

troggy, hi_watt, TheVU and 7 others like this.
  17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

No toke!

jerol

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Evil Hamlet scares people!

Ghostworld likes this.
  19. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Great character. “Be somebody baby”

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It's not a small task to have the audience root for a whiny, alcoholic, self-absorbed, crybaby - I thought he was fantastic.

21. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I think the Rick Dalton character would be more difficult than Cliff Booth to perform.
    Leo had the mid-western good ole boy act down good. The stuttering wasn't over done and the cussing was perfect.
    "You're my stunt double s**t now c'mon"

Tim S and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I thought Pitt was good, but how difficult was that role, really?

SunSon likes this.
  23. Das Bass

Looks to be a much simpler role than the Rick Dalton role, in my opinion.

24. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

On reading a different thread about people not abiding by directional arrows for grocery aisles, it got me thinking about when Rick and Cliff are driving out of the studio lot. This is one of those little things that always picks at me in the back of my mind whenever I see it.

Rick and Cliff are driving against the directional arrows of the lot. Why? Was this intentionally written into the script? Is there a deeper statement to be made about their defiance of these imposed directions? …or am I just way, way overthinking this?

Secondly, holy crap is that an overly tight parking arrangement. I certainly wouldn’t want to park there on any kind of regular basis.

[​IMG]

25. Das Bass

Tate, Sebring, Folger and Woj do the same thing upon entering the El Coyote parking lot...

RandelPink, Dayfold and beccabear67 like this.