Ozark (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dmiller458, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Unless they come up with something out of left field, my guess is that Helen’s dealing with the FBI is what did her in. Since it doesn’t seem that Marty’s attempt to have the FBI pull Navarro’s fat out of the fire had reached any type of realization when they boarded the plane.

Also, a minor side note, and I haven’t really read prior posts before finishing the season, any mention of the number of actors from Law & Order appearing in this series?

George P likes this.
  2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Not a real fan of the Wyatt character, or the actor playing him, but his reaction to Ruth screaming at Ben was great!

GodShifter likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

A good point and one that I had not considered. Okay, I'll back off of my earlier criticism.

That said, please, people, it's BYRDE.

Some things do matter.

@Paul J - maybe the Wyatt character is not the best in terms of being fleshed out, but he's the most pure, noble, and likable in the series, so look for him to get deep sixed next season (probably Darlene, too) and Ruth takes over Darlene's land and enterprise.

enro99 and Paul J like this.
  4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

If I had to guess, Navarro has a mole in the FBI, got wind of Helen's chicanery with respect to having Marty testify, and that was the end of Helen.

The actor who played the brother, Ben, did a fantastic job.

Not quite sure where they're going with the Ruth/Wyatt/Darlene part of the story. While those three could team up and take on the Byrdes somehow, that seems obvious, linear, and not so exciting.I'll be interested to see what they actually do with that plot line.

I predict that a new face will appear to take Helen's place as the babysitter/fixer.

BTW, the woman who played Helen, Janet McTeer, has her own OBE, just like the Beatles. There's your Beatles content.

5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Maybe, but I think it became clear to him that Helen could no longer co-exist with Marty and Wendy, and the latter two are obviously much more valuable to him at this point in time, so Helen had to go.

formu_la likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

You could be right. It could be as simple as that. It would be more interesting if it was a mole, I think. But if it's what you say, I won't be surprised.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I agree. Tom Pelphrey did a good job. I thought he channeled a bi-polar person very well.

As I stated above, my guess would be that Darlene and Wyatt are killed, and Ruth takes over her enterprise and, maybe gets Marty involved (even though he'd rather not).

Trivia: Janet McTeer, a fine actress, is like 6'2" which is incredibly tall for a female actor. Yet, it doesn't seem that obvious when she's on screen.

Glenn coates and enro99 like this.
  8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Could be...that would be a little more interesting.

What's the overall arc for Marty? Is he going to eventually, reluctantly, embrace being a crook--the Breaking Bad narrative?

Or do tragic events ultimately push him to (figuratively) burn everything and everyone to the ground and to finally escape--which might include Wendy, since it's pretty clear as of this season that she relishes her current lot so much that she'd even sell out her brother.

MikeInFla likes this.
  9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That's a good question. I got the feeling that by the end, she was toast. She sold her brother out because she knew she couldn't control him and he'd ultimately wind up getting her and her family killed. I don't think she was really as into it by the end as she was at the beginning. I think both the Byrdes felt like they were going to their death when they got on that plane.

formu_la and MikeInFla like this.
  10. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

So..will there be another season ?

11. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

The fourth and final season, I hope.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

It can still happen. It would be the back story prior to her getting hooked up with the cartel.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Agree. One more and hit the lights.

14. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

That was my takeaway as well. Helen went to the FBI to try and undermine the Byrdes with more interest in her own preservation, whereas Helen sold out her own brother to help protect the cartel and has a plan to ensure the future for Navarro's family. It was a matter of loyalty and value.

I've enjoyed all the seasons. I do hope they have a good plan to wrap it up effectively.

15. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

It seemed pretty clear to me that Helen trying to frame Marty as confessing to the FBI set off Navarro's red flags and told him that she couldn't be trusted. Had she not done that, things might have gone the other way.

16. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

I noticed in the scene discussing getting on the gambling permit, etc with Navarro, she was standing on a lower step in order to be eye to eye.

Not sure if this was ‘Alan Ladd’ syndrome, or the character deciding it was in her interest to appear less dominant in her face to face with him.

I’ll miss her, a couple of times in the closing episodes, she reminded me of Max von Sydow’s Joubert character in Three Days of the Condor.

enro99 and GodShifter like this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

She was good as Jessica Jones mom in S2 of that series (albeit she was bald and looked like an alien).

18. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

Tom Pelphrey (Ben) deserves a Emmy for his performance especially the one with just him and his sister on the road and his bi-polar episodic behavior. Really powerful stuff.

Vidiot, Comet01, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  19. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

Remember that Better Call Saul is a prequel so Better Call Helen is still possible.

GodShifter and rockclassics like this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, I like the idea. It was just kind of funny the way it was presented. :thumbsup:

21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I have yet to watch this guess I will check it out now that everyone has binged it.

Scope J likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Don't read this thread if you haven't seen it. There are TONS of spoilers in it. If you liked "Breaking Bad" you'll like this. It's definitely worth your time.

23. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Thanks! I haven't read the threads But I did like breaking bad I have to admit I never finished watching it lol I'll check Ozark out it's on my Netflix list.

MikeInFla, GodShifter and George P like this.
  24. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

And yet some forum crticis opined that he was awful.
    o_O

GodShifter likes this.