Whitesnake: The Red, White and Blues Trilogy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Curveboy, Apr 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident Thread Starter

WHITESNAKE - Previously Unreleased Song "Always The Same" To Appear On The Rock Album

Three new 'Snake remix/hits discs coming: the Red, White and Blues Trilogy

David Coverdale writes: “All the songs have been revisited, remixed and remastered. Some have been musically embellished where my co-producer Michael McIntyre, my new mixer Christopher Collier and I felt it appropriate or necessary to bring out the best in these songs.”

First up is The Rock Album on June 19th, 2020
    Followed by Love Songs and The Blues Album (dates TBD)

First single is an unreleased track from the Flesh & Blood sessions:

Always The Same

There is also what appears to be a single mix here: Always The Same (2020 Remix)

The Rock Album track list:
    “Still Of The Night”
    “Best Years”
    “Tell Me How”
    “Love Ain’t No Stranger”
    “All Or Nothing”
    “Give Me All Your Love”
    “Can You Hear The Wind Blow”
    “Restless Heart”
    “Anything You Want”
    “Here I Go Again”
    “Judgement Day”
    “She Give Me”
    “Crying”
    “Can’t Stop Now”
    “Always The Same”
    “Forevermore”

Sean, Fusionfan, wesleysr and 7 others like this.
  2. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

Derek Sherinian posted this on Facebook yesterday:

“I am proud to be featured on the new Whitesnake compilation "The Rock Album"!
    I re-recorded the keys on the albums "Slip Of The Tongue" and "Restless Heart", which many songs are on this release- a LOT of Hammond B3! Thank you DC for the opportunity!“

And Coverdale is quoted on Talkin Rock as saying “He`s like the son of Jon Lord” about Derek`s playing on the Whitesnake material (source: Sherinians facebook page)

I listened to the Coverdale interview and I noted that:

“Its a teaser album of things to come....we have all these things lined up for the next five years” then referencing Restless Heart (without mentioning it explicitly as a box set) and the previous box sets. Coverdale also mentioned Joel Hoekstras contribution to the Restless Heart re-recordings. (Its around 11 minutes into the interview)
    Talkin' Rock with David Coverdale and Rival Sons singer Jay Buchanan - Talkin' Rock With Meltdown - Omny.fm

3. Leigh Burne

Leigh Burne Forum Resident

Was there a Slip remix in the box set? I don't remember hearing anything about re-recorded keyboards for it, but then I've not managed to pick up the set yet.

4. Curveboy

No, but they are remixing tracks for these new collections.

hiterss and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Thanks for mentioning that because I was wondering. I think they’ve done a pretty good job on the previous boxes. Many years ago DC talked about a re-issue of some sort for Into The Light which was an album I really liked. It doesn’t get the benefit of the Whitesnake name, but I’d sure love to see a similar box for that album assuming there’s enough material.

Curveboy likes this.
  6. Leigh Burne

I ask because his comment makes it sound like he redid the keyboards for the whole album, yet there are only selected tracks on this new comp.

Bingo Bongo and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Curveboy

who knows? maybe there is a remix of the whole album coming...David seems to have this all well mapped out.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

This is fantastic news. First day buyer.

Lonevej and Curveboy like this.
  9. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

This looks definitely interesting approach to reissue project.. my guess , The Red album will reissue remixed versions of Love Songs ballads and The Blue album will focus remixed versions of the blues based songs mostly from the Sunburst years. The approaching of remixing and re-recording parts of songs might be a way for Rhino to reissue the catalogue while avoiding licensing obstacles with DC's previous labels. I just hope DC doesn't re-record his vocals in these tracks and it's more of a remix project.

10. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Leigh Burne likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

might get this. not too sure what the point is though

12. Leigh Burne

Yeah, I'll happily splurge a tenner on this. The recent remixes in the 1987 and Slide It In boxes were at least worth a listen.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Curveboy

I think David likes to blow the dust off things...which is fine by me. As long as the original versions are still available.

14. Matthew Tate

so does everything on this set have new overdubs and stuff?

15. wesleysr

wesleysr Psychic Spy from China

I love the man more than any other singer ever. But I think what he really loves is getting us to buy the same things over, and over.

16. Curveboy

That is unclear just yet.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I guess I'll get this for Anything You Want, Can't Stop Now, and Always The Same. But it's not like I'm counting down the hours for it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

thank you

19. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

David Coverdale did an interview with Eddie Trunk on Trunk Nation on april 20 which shed a little more info on the upcoming releases.

This is a brief summary.

We can’t keep doing box sets, it’s extravagantly expensive.

We have 7 albums, we are gonna be re-introducing over the next 5/6 years.

Why don’t we do teaser albums of whats coming? An introduction to forthcoming box sets.

Everything is remixed on the Rock album.

Slide it in is tweaked even more than on the box set.

Love Songs is coming out in october. Love Will Set You Free is the first track on that album which also features a remixed Is This Love and Now You’re Gone.

The Blues Songs - mentioned as the first of the three that was put together - features ideas originally thought by Coverdale as relevant for a 2nd Coverdale/Page album which turned into the Restless Heart songs Take Me Back Again and Woman Trouble Blues.

When remixing the Restless Heart album, it was discussed how can we make these guitars bigger.

And Joel Hoekstra was asked to add overdubs/additional guitars and Derek Sherinian on keyboards on all songs. It became a real Whitesnake record.

The upcoming Restless Heart box is mentioned directly in the interview. “The Behind the Scenes Stuff is amazing, extra tracks etc etc”.

The info is around 37 minutes into the interview with more around the 45 minute mark.

20. Curveboy

Wow...even more excited after listening to this!!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Matthew Tate

yes

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Interesting! I've always thought Woman Trouble Blues was totally Zep. Reading now that Coverdale was thinking of it as something for an album with Jimmy Page certainly puts it in perspective.

23. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's what I wish we'd get from him now, rather than remixing, remastering (not a good track record there) past material.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I just listened to the song (from Restless Heart) and, yeah... you can totally hear that as a CP song.

Still holding out hope for a re-issue of some sort for the CP album.

Riffraff03 and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Leigh Burne

Glad to hear “Now You’re Gone” will be on there, it’s possibly my favourite Whitesnake ballad but I’ve never really liked the mix on Slip of the Tongue.

Really looking forward to that set. Always thought Restless Heart was a decent album, just not a great Whitesnake record. The title track is classic ‘snake though.

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.