The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

We've all had this. It hurts.

2. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

A good time to watch the Monkeys too I love watching them it seems its been a long time since I did.
    I need to add them to my list a good way to keep my mind off all this Covid19 stuff just for a bit.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Likely some pop up after their $1,200 runs out.

pablo fanques likes this.
  4. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Just looked at the listing, it's $688 in Australian currency!!!!!
    Not as expensive as some of the other boxes though, I've seen copies of the Birds, Bees And The Monkees sets going for $1000 each! (of course it's the one box set I'm missing)

5. MartyTem

MartyTem Forum Resident

There’s a set for sale in the Classifieds...

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  6. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I hear ya... I didn't buy it when the opportunity was there either... I'm fine with the DVDs of the TV series that I already own, but would have liked to own the Blu-Ray set for the disc of extras.

7. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

It's not being a "cheapskate" to not give in and spend TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for this, to not spend over twice of what the list price should be.
    I went to the page now and saw this "subscribe to be notified when it's in" - this is a way to get people to PAY that ridiculous price.
    This is only for rich people who don't mind being totally gouged.
    Forget about it.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

So should I feel guilty for buying 3 when they were new? 1 for me, 1 for the wife to get when we divorce* and 1 to horde until they're going for $1000.

* - Actually, I have taken to buying "backup" copies of anything that is limited edition / rare that is extra special to me and keeping them in storage "just in case" after we had a fire a few years ago that completely wiped out everything we owned. I lost so many one of a kind rare, impossible to find again items in that. For example, I had an actual, on-camera used TARDIS key from the 70's-era Doctor Who. So. the 2nd copy is for me to pull out if something like that ever happens again... or for my kids to sell after I'm gone.

longdist01 and PhoffiFozz like this.
  9. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

To each his own.

I'm not anywhere near being rich but I budgeted to afford this when it was announced and I don't feel gouged at all. I've spent more on way less. And all these years later, I'm still enjoying this box set. In fact, I probably enjoy it even more now.

The DVD's look like total crap compared to the love and care of remastering these blurays. In fact, I don't think these episodes looked as good as they do on BD even when they first aired. And the audio is an upgrade too.

This kind of restore is not a cheap or quick process, which is why so many other box sets are done so quickly and cheaply and don't look good. I get why people don't want to pay for it, but I wouldn't want them to do this box set with poorly mastered transfers.

People have talked about wanting this for the extras. Even without the extras this set is astonishing. That is how good the improvements are.

I also get that maybe people don't care about "quality" when it comes to video, but it's just as important to me as audio mastering, so again, money well spent for me.

The sad thing, in my own opinion, is everyone wants everything for cheap or free nowadays that there isn't any profit in doing projects like these, so we will not see any more of them. I was looking forward to the later years box set that Andrew had planned on doing. That will never happen now. Plus I'm pretty sure the poor response to this has held Rhino up on the next super deluxe box audio box sets. And it goes on to be one of the reasons we won't get a BD or DVD of The Mike & Micky Show. Oh well, they have given us so much more than most aritsts have.

I also find it strange when so many people won't buy a $200 box set with hours upon hours of video and audio that will last a lifetime, but they'll spend $150 on a concert ticket that lasts a few hours. - We definitely all value our time and money differently.

10. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

That is always how it works. The one you missed is the one demanding the most money. I feel the pain of not buying the Headquarters box when I held it in my hands. I thought it was a bootleg and put it back. When I found out otherwise a few days later, it was gone and never to be seen again.

11. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Agree on the bolded part. I recently went through the set for the third time, and was more pleased with the video and audio quality of the episodes themselves than anything else. They are really a joy to watch. The bonus material, while interesting the first time around and fun to have, didn't hold up as well for me as the TV episodes, some of it just plain tedious.

Also the "Head" movie looks and sounds fantastic, with the songs in a real nice 5.1 mix.

Expensive? Yes, no doubt. They come to about $20 per disc, which is pretty much full price for the average new release of a theatrical movie, but each disc has a LOT of content, and excellent content at that.

12. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yes. The upgraded video is so crystal clear now that I can see the matte lines where they added Mike in post-production and the strings where they puppetted Davy.

:edthumbs:

13. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

The video quality alone is worth the price of admission. Once I obtained the BD release I gave the DVDs to a friend without hesitation. They honestly couldn’t have done a better job with these transfers. Absolutely stellar

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Hopefully you kept the 33 1/2 DVD

Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  15. Jimmy B.

I am sure that there has been no run on these to make them suddenly short or not have it in stock on hand, during the COVID-19 crisis. They're just waiting awhile for to see if enough people get desperate for a copy and then they'll FINALLY sell their stock that's been sitting there forever.
    I mean this just ain't the time to run out of it.
    It never sold 'cause it was a lot of money, and most people don't exactly have as much disposable income anymore,
    so instead of lowering the price, they're doing this to make people want it more. It's being desperate for sales, like the way they were when they had Micky do that awful you tube ad for it.

Michael likes this.
  16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I'd really like to get those 45 mixes now. It seems to be a hole in my Monkees mix collection.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Would totally love this box set i love watching all those old shows i't fun for me to watch the monkeys I like them.

Michael likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

prediction of when this will miraculously happen? ; )

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  19. Jimmy B.

Ha!
    You got me when they will! :)

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I hope your prediction is correct! : )

Jimmy B. and Grand_Ennui like this.
  21. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

again, $200 was not a crazy price. the original dvd sets were priced around $85 each. so for $30 more, you get all the episodes in hi def, Head in hi def and widescreen, 33 1/3 looking better than it ever has, plus all the extras. $200 was a no brainer for me, and I was kinda broke at the time, and still found the funds to get it.

chad

D-rock likes this.
  22. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

For the Jerry Lee section they cut out? I didn’t but the guy I gave it to also went with me to last year’s Mike & Micky show so it’s in very good hands

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  23. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I paid around $275 in 1996 for the VHS boxset which with inflation is now $460..so yeah not a bad deal at all..still have it too for decorative purposes.

24. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

For me, not buying it at the time was never an issue of feeling like I'd have been gouged in any way, but I didn't even own a Blu-Ray player at the time, so I couldn't see buying it when I had no way to play it. Of course now I do have a player, and it seems the set's not available from Rhino nowadays :doh:

I don't doubt they'd look better now than they would have when originally aired... A lot of folks were probably picking up NBC on rabbit ears, hoping the static would stay at a minimum. Even the VHS tapes would have looked like a revelation compared to over the air TV :)