Art Pepper recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bigbudukks, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I have to say, out of those Pepper CDs I recently got I much prefer his live dates over studio. There's just a little something extra there when live. Not sure I'll actually pick up any other studio records from him.

peskypesky and kt66brooklyn like this.
  2. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Laurie Pepper, Art Pepper's widow, has been releasing rare live recordings of Art under the label "Widow's Taste". They are all great, and can be found on CD Baby.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

bloody classic

4. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

[​IMG]

This Art Pepper Live in Toronto (from '77) is a straight boot, substandard SQ and all. The song lengths don't match what's listed on the back and who knows if the personnel listing is correct: Bernie Serensky on piano, Dave Piltch on bass and Terry Clarke on drums. All that said, the playing is phenomenal. Damn shame about the SQ b/c if this was better it would be one of my favorite Pepper CDs.

peskypesky likes this.
  5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Modern Art, and Straight Life are two of my favorites.

kt66brooklyn and SOONERFAN like this.
  6. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Art made a couple of albums with The Milcho Leviev Quartet, TRUE BLUES and BLUES FOR THE FISHERMAN which are basically Pepper albums but for contractual reasons couldn’t be billed as such.

I don’t think I’ve heard a bad album from Art. His music certainly deserves to be heard by any jazz lover.

peskypesky and waaguirr like this.
  7. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I bought Early Art back when it came out in the 70's and liked it a lot. It's pretty cheap on discogs if you have a turntable:

Art Pepper - Early Art

kt66brooklyn and waaguirr like this.
  8. If you cannot get enough of Art Pepper and think you have it all, track down a Richie Cole lp, " Back to Alto Acres" circa 1982. Fine later era Art.

waaguirr likes this.
  9. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Galaxy albums from the 1970s and early 198os, are superb. I feel that they have been given short shrift here. Especially the albums with pianist George Cables. Art and George Cables had a special musical bond.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

[​IMG]
    recorded 1956
    Remastered by Phil Delancie 1994

11. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

First, I think that everyone has done an excellent job of not overwhelming the newcomer with ephemera. Each entry on this thread is very well thought out and I recommend adhering to those suggestions, but if you find that you want more, here is my suggestion:
    [​IMG]

12. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Lots of great recommendations. One essential disk not mentioned is his encounter with Sonny Stitt, Groovin' High. Other good ones are Marty Paich Quartet and Art Pepper Today.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. A great "late" Pepper performance is under a Richie Cole banner: " Return to Alto Acres" circa 1982.

PAJ vinyl

Pepper on alto and clarinet

And if you cannot get enough of AP, don't forget the soundtrack for "Heart Beat" circa 1980.

Music by Jack Nitzsche: "featuring Art Pepper on alto sax".

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  14. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Despite his personal troubles, Art Pepper never made a bad record in his life.

An absolutely amazing live recording is Besame Mucho - Live in Tokyo 1979.

Unfortunately, the XRCD is oop and has become somewhat expensive.

Bobby Buckshot and Joti Cover like this.
  15. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Talking about expensive: I just found the DCC Gold CD (mastered by our host) for Gettin‘ Together for a reasonably price on ebay. My old Original Jazz Classics CD does not sound bad at all, but this version is a MAJOR improvement. The DCC sounds clearer and much more natural. Highly recommended.

Unfortunately, I will now need to add the DCC Gold for Intensity to my want list as well. ;-(

16. brianplowe

brianplowe Forum Resident

Buy directly from his wife on bandcamp!

sami and markp like this.
  17. LongHairedJazz

LongHairedJazz Forum Resident

The Trip. Fresh out of the can and ready to roll. At times feeling his modal Coltrane vibe with none other than Elvin Jones on the skins.

Goat in the machine likes this.
  18. Goat in the machine

Goat in the machine Forum Resident

Absolutely agree about The Trip -
    Art Pepper plus Elvin Jones is a great combination. And Today is a wonderful record: an empathetic rhythm section, bassist Cecil McBee on magisterial form, and a couple of lovely Pepper originals including this ballad over the changes of Misty:

BobbyG and Joti Cover like this.
  19. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Man, am I in a foul mood right now. And I have to say that THIS is funk eliminating stuff. Art at his best, IMO.

I'm feeling better already.

[​IMG]

20. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

These masters are under the Blue Note umbrella now. They would make a perfect Tone Poet twofer! In fact, I'll head over to the Tone Poet thread and make the suggestion. It's a great Radio Recorders stereo recording, Carl Perkins, what could be better?

Jim Duckworth likes this.
  21. MHam

MHam Give Me Bass Relief

Read Straight Life.

22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Just found one on eBay for $35 with free shipping. Thanks for the suggestion!

23. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

One of the great jazz biographies. Though, not the thing to read if you are looking for vivid recollections of some of his most acclaimed sessions!

24. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

25. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

But don't try it at home!

Nature Boy, from the album Straight Life, which I quite like despite the booming bass.

John76 and kt66brooklyn like this.