New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

So my Blu-Ray disc arrived today as promised. (Walmart clearly out performed Amazon, where still it's showing as usually shipping within 1 to 2 months.)

The video quality of the disc for 1080p HD looks very good. Downloaded the digital copy and linked to iTunes/Apple TV Plus. The streaming version through Apple TV looks to be higher quality than the Blu-Ray disk itself. My LG TV is registering it as 2160p. Not sure if true UHD or just up-scaled, but the streaming version definitely looks even more crisp than the BR disc.

The audio options on the disk are DD 5.1 and Dolby Atmos. Vocals are of course centered with the strings having a nice spread.

Overall, I'm pleased with the purchase.

matt79rome89 likes this.
  2. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Thanks for the specs. When accessing the file through AppleTV you should see a "4K" logo on the menu summary if it's streamable in 4k. Here is a sample: [​IMG]

HarvG likes this.
  3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Says 4K on iTunes UK

matt79rome89 likes this.
  4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes indeed, I canceled my order with Amazon and ordered one from Walmart about three days ago with free shipping. I just received it at my door this morning, and I could not have been more surprised if I had woken up this morning with my head sewed into the carpet.

HarvG likes this.
  5. pacman68

pacman68 Forum Resident

I got the Western Start film LP for Christmas. I didn't ask for it cause I thought it was just gonna be Bruce telling boring stories about the songs. But man I have to say .... I think I like the versions of the songs better on this album. Yeah is voice isn't as good but he sounds beaten down and tired. Which adds a little more sadness to the songs. I still don't know why everyone hates Sleepy Joes Cafe. Classic working class up beat Bruce song. But if you don't have this on vinyl. Buy it.

DavidD, ego1jr, RSteven and 2 others like this.
  6. Tojo

Tojo Forum Resident

The coloured editions were all pressed at GZ...

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

$9.75 for 2LP
    Bruce Springsteen Western Stars (Songs From the Film) on DeepDiscount

8. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

Now when a couple of months have passed, I am even more convinced that this is one of Springsteen’s greatest albums ever. Oh wait, make that two of his greatest albums, because the live version is almost on par with the original. Can’t stop listening to them. Can’t remember the last time I played an album to death like this!

I can’ believe he came up with such a masterpiece this late in the game. Certainly didn’t see that coming. Just incredible.

The question now is, where does he go from here? Of course I am interested in a new E Street Band album if that’s the plan but, man, can anything compete with THIS stuff? I doubt it. Bring on the outtakes please!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    RubenH, Timos, NunoBento and 17 others like this.
  9. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

FWIW, Jon Bon Jovi is on Howard Stern at the moment and just said Springsteen played him the new E Street album recently (likely pre-COVID).

Josip, mark ab, Vinyl_Blues and 11 others like this.
  10. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Finally got a chance to watch the film in full last night. I enjoyed it.
    Yes, the spoken parts were like a matthew mcconaugey Lincoln commercial. But the music segments were really outstanding. 4.5/5.0.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  11. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Still waiting for the price to drop, or it to show up on Netflix or something.

I’m still surprised at the cost never dropping, curious about sales figures. Even at $20, I wouldn’t think that it would be a big sales item.

JoeF. likes this.
  12. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

Curious for others’ take, watched his clip from Jersey4Jersey this morning and was kind of taken aback by Bruce’s appearance. He looked old and frail, and his speaking voice seemed very measured. Maybe hearing or dental affecting it.

Seemed more or less normal once singing and playing.

13. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I thought the same thing. Made me start to rethink what this new E Street album will sound like. But Bruce continues to surprise, so hoping he's got a rock equivalent to Western Stars up his sleeve.

Paul J likes this.
  14. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Gosh, I see what you mean. A bit of a shock. I find it very hard to imagine that a future ESB tour would be anything like what has gone before in terms of length of shows, number of shows per week, or Bruce doing anything like crowd-surfing...

15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Bruce is 70. He turns 71 in Sept. I don't see any E Street concerts until most likely next year. Even on his best day, I'm not sure a 71-year-old Bruce is crowd surfing.

brownie61 and windfall like this.
  16. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I'm glad (although "glad" is the wrong word) I'm not the only one who felt this way when I saw him...I was completely taken back by his appearance...to me he seemed to have a blank, vacant stare in to the distance while performing....really unnerving to me, and I'm hoping I'm over-reacting - but there has to be a reason he postponed his tour prior to all the Covid-19 crap here in NJ.

Whatever it is, best wishes to one of my favorites and one of the all-time greats.

Paul J and JoeF. like this.
  17. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You are right, but I saw him in 2016 and he was close to what he'd always been in terms of energy and performance, and he was 67 years old. So if he's not up to his usual standards at 70/71, it's a sudden and precipitous decline.
    I didn't see the performance from Jersey4Jersey, but I saw a still photo from it and and I winced.

I hope he's okay.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    kouzie and Paul J like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Same here. But his speaking voice has been sounding old and frail for years at this point. Like he is out breath.

I think he has been practing on his singing before this video though, because it sounded good. He was warmed up.
    Ever since Western Stars I have been enjoying both his voice and singing. Which has not been to my liking in the 2010s in general.
    Very nice to hear Jersey Girl acoustic I must add!

Mike M, kouzie and Paul J like this.
  19. budwhite

Maybe he has done something to his upper jaw/teeth.. or just to much botox. He has a very stiff upper lip :pleased:
    It doesn’t move when he speaks...
    And yes, he has that kind of blank stare that someone mentioned upthread

20. Mike M

Mike M Forum Resident

Agree on the speaking voice, was shocked, for the first time he sounds "old". No disrespect, I love him, and i'm getting older as well, so maybe that's the source of my shock.

You can really hear it here:

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Singing voice sounds pretty good.

Bruce and Rockford & Roll like this.
  22. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

I've been noticing that for quite awhile now, it's nothing new. I'm sure he's been taking prescription medications for his depression issues for several decades at this point, that might be part of it. I think that's a big reason for Brian Wilson's demeanor. Fortunately, Bruce's mental state still seems sharp, he just expresses himself very hesitatingly.

It's disconcerting to me to see how much plastic surgery he's had, I wouldn't have thought he was the type. It's very close to the point of negative returns; he's starting to look a bit unnatural.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think he had subtle plastic surgery over the years, but I don't know about now. He has that "depression" visage that I saw with my own father, who battled depression, but he looks disconcertingly gaunt and is he hiding something with that spray-on or rubbed-in fake tan? Something is off.

Your point about depression meds is a good one because long-term use of meds of any kind can take it's toll on a body.

Before this thread descends into diagnosis "from afar" by people who aren't even doctors. I'd just like to say that it is sad to see because we wish him good health, and also because, somewhat selfishly perhaps, some of us --I doubt I'm alone on this--look to Bruce as a sort of inspiration for how we hope to age. When a 67 year old man runs around and performs at a high level for three or four hours night after night, it's inspiring for those of us a dozen or so years younger than him. But then to see him three years later in obvious decline.....

Timos, Jonpd, NunoBento and 2 others like this.
  24. budwhite

Drugs prescdipted by a doctor, it's not good for you in the long run. It becomes a drug addition in it self, like it or not. It's not natural.
    I'm not saying Springsteen is a slave to that, just speaking in general

JoeF. likes this.
  25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I agree he doesn’t look or sound all that great. But he’s 70, suffers from depression, and obviously utilizes plastic surgery (unfortunately). The last 2 will make people look “off”.

But I have noticed the vacant look for a while. I noticed it immediately when I met him a couple years ago. Clinical depression, and the medications, can be really tough. He’s also said he’s not at his best when he’s off the road.

Who knows. I hope he’s okay.

My brother in law used to work at paul Newman’s summer camp for severely handicapped kids. Said Paul was a great guy. Backstage, he looked old, short and quite frail. He said the minute paul walked onstage and the lights hit him, he looked 20 years younger and 6 inches taller. I think that’s what happens with showbiz folks.

Timos, NunoBento, harmonica98 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.