New Springsteen Album "Western Stars" June 14*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FingerPickin'Triumph, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

I think he sounds fine, maybe a little subdued in his conversation as anyone might be considering the occasion. His performance sounds great.

majorlance likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, the plastic surgery is annoying. A lot of artists, I think, feel pressure to look the same way they did in their prime as long as possible...like David Coverdale still has to look like David Coverdale because everyone has the image of those videos burned in their brains.

I don't think Bruce has that issue, he certainly doesn't go out with a bandana and jeans and try to look like 1984, but I can see him putting that pressure on himself since he was still willing himself (and succeeding) to do the same kind of shows in 2016 as he was doing 40 years earlier. Maybe less running around, but still doing the crowd surf, playing for 4 hours, challenging himself and the band, etc etc, and so perhaps part of that was feeling like he had to make himself look younger than he is. I think it's finally starting to take its toll, but as long as he sounds good and is playing and performing, it doesn't bother me that much I suppose. There's definitely rock stars whose surgery looks way worse.

J_D__ likes this.
  3. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Have you seen paul Simon lately? Oof.

4. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

He was great in 2016, and I thought he had that somewhat disconnected demeanor when you'd see interviews with him for awhile before then. He's been eloquent in what he says, but not how he says it, for a pretty long time. I'll be concerned when the substance of what he's saying drops off. He's obviously going to continue to slow down in performance, but I don't think there'd be a drastic decline from the last tour. Hopefully we'll get the chance to find out next year.
    I've met a number of performers who have a bit of a freaky look when you see them in real life. I think sometimes it does look better on camera or on stage.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

For a number of patients, plastic surgery becomes addictive. It is never enough, there is always something else to tweak, and it turns into an endless cycle. After enough procedures, the person starts to look unnatural. Springsteen is now in that territory. It is certainly his prerogative -- aging is not always easy, and as an entertainer, his appearance is likely that much more important to him, but he is heading into cyborg territory.

6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

He looks like (surprise!) a 78-year-old Paul Simon.
    I'm a casual PS fan at best, but...c'mon, man.

kwadguy, Brian Frazier and Paul J like this.
  7. boe

boe Forum Resident

Beyond their music, I admire Robert Plant and Dylan for letting nature take its course. Plant especially for not trying to maintain the “golden god” look of the 70s. With their plastic surgery and botox, Bruce and Joe Biden are starting to have the same look. Hopefully Bruce won’t end up looking like Kenny Rogers did - really weird. The strange thing is that one might have thought that Bruce would have just wanted to age gracefully i.e. authentically. But to each his own.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, if one bought into the "blue collar, working man, everyman" rhetoric, sure. But there was always a lot more going on with Springsteen.

9. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Springsteen has always struck me as more than a little vain. The BITUSA muscle stuff, the posing on the TOL tour. I’m not all that surprised.

JoeF., Davido, RSteven and 1 other person like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yeah, whether or not Landau's feeding his ego or he just came by it naturally, he does have that vain streak
    He really sees himself as part of American poets/troubadours........Woody, Bob, maybe Neil (yea I know where he was born), and Bruce
    Whether he is or not, time will tell.......but that's a heckuva ego stretch

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

So is the hardcore fanbase really denying the stiff upper lip at this time?

12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I would definitely put him in the same category as those guys. His place on Mt Rushmore is secure, and well earned.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  13. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Dylan is definitely letting nature take its course. Neil young too. Neil looks like a fur trapper.

Timos, SteveM, NunoBento and 3 others like this.
  14. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

One thing is Bruce always had a strong, prominent jaw-line, or at least that’s how he appeared in photos and on film.
    Judging from recent pics, that is no longer the case.

15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Well, Patti is 66 years old, and to me, she is looking damn fine! :)

majorlance, mrjinks, JoeF. and 3 others like this.
  16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

If you see photos before - like in the space of a couple of years - he looks fine. I like the guy si I'm not going to begrudge him. They both have hair issues too!

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  17. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

With all the talk of Bruce's aged appearance here, I decided to listen to the WS film soundtrack again. I actually appreciate his aged voice on this recording, it's quite different from most of his studio album vocals and suits the music and theme very well. How's the DVD / BluRay, does anyone have it?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    RSteven and Rockford & Roll like this.
  18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Who would give a thousand pelts to sleep with Pocahontas and find out how she felt.

19. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, but Simon’s hair issues go back to the ‘60’s.

20. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Oh yeah.

21. I recall being shocked at his lack of hair when he appeared in Annie Hall from 1978.

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Funny thing is: Artie was just the same! I wasn't even aware he was wearing a wig. Simon's sudden 'growth' of hair for One Trick Pony (and baseball cap. Nothing like a belt and braces approach) was rather obvious. Still, hasn't affected what he's doing

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    SteveM likes this.
  23. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

its not the hair, it’s the face.
    I looks like they injected his face with cream cheese and then pulled it tight behind his ears.
    He looks uncomfortable.

RSteven, luckyno13 and JoeF. like this.
  24. boe

boe Forum Resident

Upon further pondering, Mick Jagger doesn’t appear to have any significant “work” done either. That’s somewhat surprising. Keith has had a lot of work done - all by nature and the “elements”.

J_D__ likes this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think Planr has had some work done in the past. You could tell by the eyes usually. Speaking of eyes, Biden and the late Kenny Rogers looked/look— am I allowed to say this?—Asian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.