The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Same here. No blu-ray player. I still don't have one but they're common and cheap enough now that I should have just gotten this set when it came out. In my defense, I work a small business so 200 dollars can be a lot of money when sales aren't so good. Still, if they would have had a DVD edition with the extras at 50 bucks cheaper, I bet I would have bought that. I never got why they went only blu-ray.

Grand_Ennui and 905 like this.
  2. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Yes, this is generally what "Limited Edition" usually means.

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

The original VHS series set was $400

MerseyBeatle and D-rock like this.
  4. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Yep-- and I PAID it, unbelievably.
    Needed some cash and sold it a few years later and recouped most of it.
    At the time, the thought of owning EVERY monkees episode was a like a childhood dream come true (but admittedly, I've long since been a continuing fan of the music and less the tv show.)

D-rock likes this.
  5. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

i haven't bought a regular dvd in about 20 years or whenever blu rays first came out. maybe a little after that. when the war between blu ray and hi def dvds was over I got my blu ray player. I can't even fathom not having one, in fact I have two, one a regular blu ray and a multi region one.

chad

6. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

and I also bought the video box set from 1996, which was $300 if bought through rhino, $400 if retail.

chad

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  7. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

That being said, I do think that was at a time where complete series boxes where relatively uncommon.

8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Sooner or later some version of this will show up. It might be an iTunes download but it'll appear. I can't believe they'd retransfer all this material for just the box set.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I thought I paid closer to $300

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I bought mine from Best Buy for about that price..

11. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Think at one point they were having trouble selling it so prices were dropped

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The ([only] 40-episode) Japanese LD set from 1992 was even more – just a mere ¥61,800...

"R" Ed likes this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

As I posted in the Music Corner forum, I interviewed Micky last week (the link to the interview is below). He was great to talk to. I asked him if there was any chance the Blu-ray Monkees Complete Series box set would be re-released, perhaps in a less expensive and lavish package. I mentioned how expensive the sets are going on eBay for. He said he hasn't heard and has no idea about it. He said it would be nice.

Then, he explained that to this day, The Monkees get very little economically, if anything at all, from things like that. What also was interesting that in terms of residuals from the episodes, he also said that they lasted for just six showings. That was the Screen Actors agreement at the time.

BTW, I like following Michelle66 in this thread, as I asked her several months back if she knew anything about a re-release of The Monkees Complete Series blu-ray set.

Marshall

Link to my interview with Micky:
    Micky Dolenz Discusses New "The Monkees-The Mike & Micky Show Live" Album and More

Hep Alien, Shawn, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I apologize if it's already been mentioned, but at monkees.com, there's a link to be notified when the set is back in stock. I don't know how long it's been like that, but it doesn't seem to be saying the same thing as SOLD OUT. Perhaps they didn't make all 10,000 copies in one pass? I don't know the answer. Just putting it out there.

15. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

The link's been there a while, now. Definitely at least since last Fall, probably even a few months earlier.
    Marshall

Pinknik likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I've been signed up for email notification since April 2019. I had my finger on the button in March 2019, finally ready to cave, but sure enough the next day it was gone.

I bought MartyTem's copy for a not-unreasonable-price so now I am finally at peace! It arrived today and I've been on a Monkee binge all afternoon. Life is good.

MartyTem, Pinknik and pablo fanques like this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Enjoy, Daniel. I still have my Monkees Complete Series sets from the early 2000's on DVD, in which the boxes look like little record players. From what I've seen on YouTube, the episodes look really good
    visually on the Blu-ray set.

Marshall

Micky Dolenz Discusses New "The Monkees-The Mike & Micky Show Live" Album and More

Hep Alien and Daniel Plainview like this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I received a notice it was back in stock months ago..by the time I got the email till I went to the site it OOS...never got another back in stock email since.

Pinknik likes this.
  19. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Marshall, that was a cool and interesting interview with Micky! Last Fall i was able to attend one of the "White Album - Tribute" shows he was Touring on along w/ Todd, Chris, Joey & Jason, a terrific backing band was put together for those gigs too!

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  20. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Does your wife know how much you paid for the Monkees blu ray set?

21. Daniel Plainview

Yes. Well, maybe I knocked $50 off.

Hep Alien and pablo fanques like this.
  22. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Terrific interview- thanks for the link. Micky looks and sounds great.

longdist01 and pablo fanques like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

I just watched 33 1/3 twice in a row. Once with commentary and once without. I might never recover from this!

24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

[​IMG]

"I don't believe it."

25. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Youre welcome, Raylinds. Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. As I mentioned, I really enjoyed speaking with Micky.

Marshall

D-rock and longdist01 like this.