The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It's the best sounding mono mix available, except Auntie Grizelda which is inexplicably taken from the TV show soundtrack. Any one of us could have done a great needledrop, and some of us have, but that's what they went with!

It's also worth noting that many of the basic remixes on this set are definitive, but all of the pro-tools remixes are awful, with out-of-sync overdubs and bad stretches and all kind of problems. I don't know the story there, but couple of tracks on the Kinks Village Green box has the same issue. They should probably find someone skilled at doing those kind of mixes for future projects, because whoever has been doing them cant get the sync right.

John Bliss, Chris M, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  2. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Wasn’t this argument put to bed over a year ago, 10 pages or so ago? Let’s not spread false information.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yeah, I don’t hear these issues. Maybe Laservampire can point to some of these moments so we can judge for ourselves???

4. Laservampire

What are you talking about? At no point was it ever determined to be false information. The out-of-sync overdubs are as clear as day, and others have pointed out specific examples throughout this thread. Maybe you should heed your own advice.

5. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

Examples, sir?

darryl hollingsworth likes this.
  6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Mary, Mary - the vocal drags behind the backing track.

Sometime in the Morning - this one is listenable, but the LV is a hair behind and once you hear it you can’t forget it.

There’s also something odd about the processing of Mike’s vocal on IDTYKM (1st)

The I’m a Believer Remix on the 45 is also quite poorly done at times.

The Peter IDTYKM (2nd) sounds weirdly fake Stereo on speakers... but this issue isn’t prevelant on headphones. It’s very strange.

As for the Kinks box, listen to the 2018 Stereo Mix Of Mr. Songbird and report back to me with your findings...

7. Laservampire

Not to mention the remixed title track with the out of time piano. There was also one more I can’t remember.

Thanks for the rundown!

darryl hollingsworth, rlp and FJFP like this.
  8. FJFP

I don’t remember anything outside of those two personally, but those were the main ones!

9. Laservampire

IDTKYM has an awful, robotic-sounding fake stereo effect on the vocal, so it floats instead of sitting in the center. It's like they were trying to do a Giles Martin or something. Past attempts have been much better.

10. FJFP

Weird, because it sounded pretty mono to me - but that explains what’s going on with it. It’s a shame, because the track itself is better balanced than the other mixes.

11. darryl hollingsworth

darryl hollingsworth Well-Known Member

I think Peter's vocal is the best of the three

Mechanical Man likes this.
  12. PixieStix

PixieStix Forum Resident

Im sure this has been asked before, Has anyone made a list of all the mixes/remixes used on each monkee release?

13. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

There is a Monkees Mixography website that gives a list of the mixes but it's still in the process of being rebuilt so it's in an incomplete state (a lot of stuff is missing because it hasn't been reentered yet, such as the remixes and alternate mixes). Here is the website in its current state and here is a more complete archive of it before it was rebuilt. There are several inaccuracies with it (at least with the archived version, plus there are some differences that aren't listed) but it is accurate for the most part and it does give you an idea of how many different mixes there are up to the date the archived link is from. I actually made a few unrelated videos of comparisons between various mixes myself consisting of audio clips with text, but I never uploaded them anywhere.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. FJFP

Just out of curiosity while we’re talking about remixes, what are some of the key mono/stereo differences in the album and single mixes on this album? There’s a few I’m aware of, but it would be nice for anyone to point out some I may have missed. I’m talking fade lengths too.

When Love: Davy warms up in the intro in Stereo
    Grizelda: Lead guitar has additional reverb in mono
    Steppin’ Stone: the classic edit in stereo before verse 2, plus a shorter fade out on the 45.
    The Kind Of Girl: Louder BVs in Mono
    Laugh: Davy slightly louder in Mono over BVs.

If I go in to TV mixes too, there’s the longer mono Look Out, Sometime In The Morning without BVs, She with extra reverb on the Vocals, and mono Grizelda with dry and loud guitar.

Is that it?

mikew, Hep Alien, Yayastone and 2 others like this.
  15. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

Here are some differences I noticed between the mono/stereo album:

Hold on Girl: the handclaps come in earlier in the stereo mix.

(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone: with regards to the bit before the second verse, what actually happens is there were extra vocals recorded here that are included in the stereo mix but are completely muted from the mono mix. The mono mix on the album has a longer ending than the stereo mix; it sounds like there are extra bars of music in the mono mix rather than it just having a longer fade-out as you can hear Micky singing higher up sooner in the stereo mix (apart from that, both mixes sound like they end at roughly the same point).

Look Out (Here Comes Tomorrow): the spoken word sections have extra reverb on the lead vocal in the mono mix but not in the stereo mix. The edit (where they cut out the third chorus and organ solo) is handled differently in both mixes - personally I think the edit sounds smoother in the stereo mix. Both mixes end at roughly the same point but the stereo mix begins fading out a little earlier, giving it a smoother fade-out compared to the mono mix which fades out quite abruptly in comparison.

Sometime in the Morning: the lead vocal is audibly double-tracked in the mono mix whereas in the stereo mix it practically sounds single-tracked (both lead vocal tracks are there in the stereo mix but one of them is mixed very low to the point where it's almost nonexistent). The backing vocals are very abruptly cut off at the end of the stereo mix but are left alone here in the mono mix.

I'm a Believer: there is prominent reverb on the handclaps and second tambourine in the mono mix, but they are much drier in the stereo mix (this is most noticeable during the "I'm in love, I'm a believer, I couldn't leave her if I tried" part of each chorus). The backing vocals are mixed differently during the outro of both mixes - the best way I can describe it is that it sounds like the backing vocals went to sing several extra rounds at the end and the mono and stereo mixes edit these out differently.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    mikew, Hep Alien, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  16. FJFP

There's a few of these I'd found, but still some I'd missed - thanks for your help!

17. FJFP

For anyone curious about my queries into the mono/stereo mixes, the new episode of my Podcast “Mixology” is now online, where I breakdown all the original mono/stereo/TV mix differences of the album tracks. You can find it iTunes, Spotify, and Google Podcasts, and the Podbean link here: 3 - More of The Monkees by The Monkees

PhoffiFozz, mikew, Blimpboy and 2 others like this.
  18. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Nice job- Enjoyed it.

FJFP likes this.
  19. Ken K

Ken K Forum Resident

I thought the wrong mix of "Grizelda" was on the 2006 2-disc set? Now I'm going to have to listen to it on the SDE.
    Edit: Yes, it is different on the SDE. Makes you wonder how they can pull the wrong tape when the song should be on the original mono LP reel.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  20. FJFP

Thank you very much!
    Yes, the 2006 uses the TV mono mix. The SDE uses the correct mono mix, but from a worn tape from a TV master. Without meaning to push it, the audio in my above podcast is from the SDE, including said mono mix of Grizelda.

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I have to say, that's really ****ed up **** when "fans" send garbage like that. It's the Monkees. Makes one shudder to think how the same people would handle a real problem in their own lives.

22. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Recent Monkees fan here. Been wanting to jump into these box sets but I see so many are out of print. My question is… which albums have gotten deluxe treatments, which haven’t and which are the “best” sets to get? I believe only MOTM is print but I could be wrong.

FJFP and phillyal1 like this.
  23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

All of the original 9 except Changes (not enough material/demand, I'm assuming), Headquarters & Pisces (which will get a release at some point, fingers crossed).

Birds & Bees and Instant Replay are by far my two favorites - they're absolute goldmines; Present is really, really good as well. The first two are solid but the source material just isn't as interesting as the later stuff - I prefer the pre-Monkees Michael Blessing stuff and the Jan. '67 live stuff over most of the studio outtakes. Head is good but probably the slimmest pickings (the third disc is a needledrop of a promo Davy interview LP).

FJFP, seeknom, RobRoyF and 1 other person like this.
  24. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Is the MOTM box worth picking up if it’s the only currently in print?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Definitely!

FJFP, dasacco, seeknom and 2 others like this.