The Vinyl Community on YouTube

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jon9091, Feb 18, 2019.

1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Ha, I'll check this out later today.

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

That's my buddy Mack from Texas. I've been buying 45s and 78s from him for quite some time now. Great seller, even better person. Love his videos, they make you feel like you're on a record hunting trip with him.

lazydawg58, Mazzy and troggy like this.
  3. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

If anyone's interested, my friends and I just created a music podcast and our first topic of discussion was vinyl! (in the video, I'm top right)

All of us are Generation Z age range so we figured it would be an interesting perspective to have the discussion on, but we created the podcast just to record the conversations we were normally having anyways.

Audio only: GZM Episode 1: It's vinyl, not vinyls

Video and Audio:

4. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

It's anyway, not anyways.

Matt Richardson and jawaka1000 like this.
  5. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

OUCH!....what we have here is a British / American language barrier :laugh:

6. Roy Crossland

Roy Crossland Forum Resident

Yes you are right. I think a big mistake is making the film to long. 30 minutes of showing what records you bought is to much. Another mistake that I often notice is that it takes to long before anything interesting happens and there can be long passages with no content.

On the other hand, if the clip is 5-10 minutes long and has good pace and interesting material I am more than happy to watch.

7. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

There is a lot of truth there, but easier said than done. Showing recent finds is interesting to other crate diggers but boring as hell to most everyone else. It helps to elaborate on the who, what, why, rather than just flipping through a stack. Themed videos like threads and contests are enjoyable. I like to do videos on specific topics like "close harmony duets" or "flatpickers" etc. If you try to do something like that and it runs less than 10 minutes it is most likely to be just fluff with very little information beyond what you can get from the first couple of paragraphs from a google search.

Most folks in the vinyl community are just average Joe music lovers so editing skills, equipment, and presentation varies. It is just for fun. Viewers can utilize fast forward, stopping and going back later, etc. But I agree, with the exception of a few VC members like Mazzy or Steve Carlson, if a video is over 30 minutes I am much less likely to watch it. The sweet spot I believe is somewhere between 12 and 25 minutes. That said my last one ran 27. :tiphat:

Brendan K and Mazzy like this.
  8. Hey thanks for the shout out @lazydawg58 :tiphat: I pretty much agree on length, however I have personally discovered that most of my top videos (seen through my analytics) have been my longer videos. It actually surprised me. Yes dependent on themes or topics and you gotta try to be somewhat entertaining. That's the real ticket.

Lately I have been doing these joint videos with other VC members and all are 30-40 minutes which is usually the ZOOM time limit. They've been popular since two people are exchanging ideas and showing different records. The back and forth debates and discussions work most of the time..

But in the end it's all a matter of individual taste and style. Of course subject matter also comes into play.

lazydawg58 and OobuJoobu like this.
  9. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

Im so tempted make these videos.. especially now
    @Mazzy is one of my favorites

I had a youtube years ago when the VC first started catching on.. but i lost my password and email

9 years ago.. YIKES haha

DannyG, Sean, Fender Relic and 2 others like this.
  10. It's a perfect time to start again. Many folks home with little to do....

Yayastone and lazydawg58 like this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thanks for the suggestion! He seems like a good ‘ol boy and his videos are relaxing in a tense time :thumbsup:

Joshua Tree likes this.
  12. lazydawg58

The joint videos have been a blast. I never would have imagined watching 40 straight minutes of drummers, yet it was so enjoyable the time flew by! (what do you call a drummer without a girlfriend?............... Homeless!!!!) Bill and Mazzy could be a limited series on Netflix!!! :pineapple:

Crazysteve and Mazzy like this.
  13. lazydawg58

You should!!!

Exotiki, Mazzy and Yayastone like this.
  14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Darryl

troggy likes this.
  15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just stumbled upon this great video.

Darryl

16. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

Terrible news about Steve Carlson, the mayor of the Vinyl Community in my opinion. He’s reporting on Facebook that he has 6 feet of water in his basement due to flood situation in Michigan, and that he’s lost his entire collection.
    If you’re a regular viewer you know what his basement looked like.

17. lazydawg58

There is a go fund me set up for Steve. Here is a link.
    Flooding Steve Carlson With Love organized by Heave Starkema

x2zero and Ed Hughes like this.
  18. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Just found this thread, so haven't had a chance to sift through the pages yet.

My favorite Youtube channels are:

Ken Micallef- the first consistent VC videos I found. They had a lot of influence on my record collecting.
    Eat Sleep Vinyl- Sensational videos featuring a lot of deep cut records. I learn a lot from Teddy's videos and am thrilled to see he returned.
    Mazzy- lots of material and not dedicated to one genre. I enjoy seeing a lot of his rock collection, in addition to the jazz stuff. Plus, Mazzy's a blue collar collector, in that he's not exclusively a high price reissue snob, which I appreciate immensely.
    Poetry on Plastic- a real standout channel. The Micallef equivalent to my knowledge of classical music on vinyl.
    Dan the Jazz Shepherd's knowledge of jazz is unreal and he releases a ton of stuff- check it out. I appreciate his connecting the music to history and culture.
    Been enjoying the In Groove videos lately, especially his shootouts.
    Also love the channel from that sweetheart of a man from, I think, South Korea- can't remember his name or channel right now. His videos were crucial when I took the plunge and upgraded my record player a few years ago.

PoetryOnPlastic and lazydawg58 like this.
  19. PoetryOnPlastic

PoetryOnPlastic Forum Reedmaker

Hey, thanks for the support! I need to do some more classical stuff very soon.

20. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Had a nice surprise yesterday when the official John Lennon Twitter and Facebook accounts used my YouTube video to advertise the new Gimme Some Truth boxset :)

[​IMG]

This video:

21. RussTCB

RussTCB Forum Resident

Finally got around to starting the YouTube channel to accompany my music podcast, so I thought I'd share it here :)

Here's the first video from a month ago or so. It's a tour of my whole music listening area. Then the other videos are taking closer looks at various aspects.

Any likes, comments and new subscribers are welcome of course. If you have your own channel and subscribe to mine, I will make sure to subscribe back as soon as I see it :)

lazydawg58 likes this.
  22. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

I’m another recent subscriber, I think you come a cross rearly well, not too serious but clearly a fan. I like the longer videos Kinks and Dylan ones are cool.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  23. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

Or the words "hipster" or "hipsters"

24. lazydawg58

I'll watch and sub. Welcome to the VC.

RussTCB likes this.
  25. lazydawg58

The vast majority of the vinyl community in my circle are in their 50s or older, not much of a hipster crowd.