Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ain't that the truth ("a true, a true, everything I say", to tie back to The Heptones.)

A very good album as well! :righton:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  2. I so don't have the money to press records these days
    I'm totally open to give a licence to anyone willing to press records

3. finbar

finbar Well-Known Member

Interesting, thanks Guillaume. But those Jamaican engineers seem to get it right the first time, I have found them to be quite good at mixing reggae. Maybe the new generation will dig it more than I did.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here's Richie Spice doing a newly released nice and heavy version of Max Romeo's "Valley Of Jehosaphat" (aka "Johosaphatt The Lost Valley"):

Original: MAX ROMEO - Johosaphatt The Lost Valley [1975] or Max Romeo ‎- Johosaphatt The Lost Valley

This Max Romeo track was included on the B&F Open The Iron Gate, as a bonus on an album that otherwise mainly consists of tracks from Revelation Time. The latter is soon to be reissued by VP, also with bonuses, but it will not include this track - are you following...?

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

StudioOne/YepRoc currently has free shipping (April 20-24): Free Shipping on All Orders! / Studio One

Unfortunately Jamaica All-Stars, which was the one of interest, seems to be sold out on LP...

followthewaydan, bluesbro and uzn007 like this.
  6. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Fun one. I love the track, “she’s mine”

ando here likes this.
  7. Bartolo Mascarello

Bartolo Mascarello Forum Resident

LKJ - Reggae Fi Peach. RIP.

Ital Galore and ando here like this.
  8. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Say what now?

9. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

WHAT??? I can't find any news stories about this.

10. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Thanks for the head's up on this.

Anyone have a CD from them? Just wondering how the SQ is. If it's good I'm about to buy a lot of these...

11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I just have vinyl and it's very good, I assume the CDs are as well.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  12. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

What's a couple of essential titles from that list? Assuming I dont have any. Thanks!

13. Bobby Buckshot

Hard to say exactly, but if you like more rootsy sound, go for the Freddie McG and Gladiators and maybe the Freddie McKay too - it's not "roots" per say but still more in that vein IMO.

The VA comps of All Stars, Bongoman & Vaults look to be incredible. I don't have them and they've got some pretty rare stuff.

If you like earlier ska-type sound, then the Skatalites, Wailers & Don D are for you.

The Version Dread & Moneymaker sets are more dubbed/version/instrumental.

bluesbro and Dubmart like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree, the Gladiators, McKay and McGregor are essential, then "From The Vaults" and "Bongo Man", unless you prefer Ska in which case I'd say Drummond, Wailers, either Skatalites.

Bobby Buckshot and bluesbro like this.
  15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Thanks. I got a bunch of the Heartbeat VA compilations. I was wondering what would be a good addition to those.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

"Bongo Man" and "From The Vaults" compliment the Heartbeat comps best, Skatalites, Wailers and McGregor were all done as Heartbeats.

uzn007 and bluesbro like this.
  17. Bartolo Mascarello

Bartolo Mascarello Forum Resident

No, not LKJ!
    Apologies, I guess I should have made it clear to non British people. Blair Peach was killed 41 years ago today, by the 'Special Patrol Group' (SPG, referenced in the song) of the Metropolitan Police...

‘Between the police and us’: Southall and the death of Blair Peach

Edit: I would edit the original post if I could, but that option has gone.

marmalade166 and uzn007 like this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I have most of the CDs, and with the caveat that Studio One sounds like Studio One, I think they sound very good, I'd say the quality is comparable to Heartbeat. Some things on Yep Roc that share material with Heartbeat can sound different if taken from an original album master (as most of these are reissues of actual albums) instead of lower generation tapes (not of course the ones that are exact reissues, which are probably identical, I haven't compared). For example the Wailers album where I think things can sound a bit worse than the earlier Heartbeats. Some of these Yep Roc are also new mixes in the Heartbeat tradition.

Two most essential (i.m.o.): Presenting The Gladiators and Freddie McKay Picture On The Wall.
    If you don't already have the Heartbeat versions these two are also essential: Freddie McGregor Bobby Bobylon and The Skatalites Foundation Ska.
    For various artists I'd say From The Vaults, both the existing one and the upcoming second volume, which looks maybe even better (it's a shame it isn't out already, as it would have been if the situation wasn't what it is). But really they are all worthwhile, except the Radio Show (for content, I don't get why they did that as a physical release) and House Of Joy (for price, it's good music but mostly a collectors item).

As both of you are in the US you can hear all of them on Spotify (they are blocked over here) and I guess any other streaming service you may use, you can also listen to all of it on bandcamp: Artists | Studio One

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    bluesbro likes this.
  19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification! With the current situation I'm afraid I always assume the worst. But yes, the Blair Peach story is tragic enough.

uzn007 and Bartolo Mascarello like this.
  20. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Regarding Yep Rock/S1 titles. I'm a big fan of the Money Maker set. The recent Jamaica All Stars is really good too, although the stereo has been narrowed a little from the original 2 track split. Freddie McKay is great set, although the track Drunken Sailor could have had better sound. The Wailers set also had some distortion due to tape age.

21. Bobby Buckshot

I've got the Money Maker on LP - and being a S1 reissue I have no idea of provenance. It sounds ok, but I've always had more luck with S1 CD reissues as I'm not collecting the OGs. So I'll probably fork over for this CD issue as it's a great album

django68 likes this.
  22. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Rock-A-Shacka ‎have snuck out a new full-lenght release, The Chosen Few ‎I Love The Way You Love, and although I have known for a while it is out I have had to struggle to actually find it online, even though you know they have something new out you have to be a detctive to find it, even on their own site. Anyway, now it has started to appear here and there (in this part of the world Juno and Sounds of the Universe have it), I'm not familiar with the album (it was originally out as Everybody Plays The Fool on Trojan), so not sure if it is worth the premium price these releases come at.

[​IMG]

Drum&Bass: CHOSEN FEW [I Love The Way You Love] LP / CHOSEN FEW [I Love The Way You Love] CD
    Discogs: The Chosen Few - I Love The Way You Love / The Chosen Few - I Love The Way You Love

Actually, I realized that it is on streaming sites, so it's possible to check it out, here it is on Spotify: I Love The Way You Love (The two recent Prince Buster albums are also streaming.)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    ando here and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  24. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Jerusalem Alpha Blondy (Shanachie, 1988)

Ital Galore likes this.
  25. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

good one. Politiqui (sic) is a great tune. apartheid is nazism is one of my favorites of all time. saw him live at a club in boston (the channel, in maybe 91 or 92) - one of the best shows I have ever seen.

ando here, uzn007 and Bobby Buckshot like this.