What are the turntables you've owned?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frcnorth

frcnorth Forum Resident

For the past 25 years, been happily using a Dual 606 with Shure 97x.
    As of this past Wednesday, I have a new Fluance R85T with Ortofon Blue.
    Moved the Dual 606 into my all-analog system and replaced it with the Fluance in the main system. Still getting to know the Fluance and really like it so far.

2. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Rega P2
    Rega P3
    VPI HW 19 Jr upgraded in steps to Mk IV
    Avid Diva
    Oracle Delphi Mk V upgraded to Mk VI
    Nantais Reference Lenco Mk II
    Nantais Ultimate Lenco

3. Eyal

Eyal Active Member

Garrard (don't remember model)
    BSR
    Yamaha
    Thorens 145
    Technics 1200 mk2
    Michell tecnodec
    Kuzma Stabi S

4. johan.pretorius

johan.pretorius Well-Known Member

I started out with an entry level Pioneer in the 80s. Sadly, I then ditched vinyl for CD, but have started to collect vinyl again some two years ago.

My first 'new' turntable was a Thorens TD 110, which introduced me to the brand (hard to believe, but it's true). I've subsequently bought the following turntables (*= sold, ** = not running, DIY projects):

Thorens TD 135/II
    * Thorens TD 165 special
    Thorens TD124/II (with an SME 3012 Series II tonearm)
    * Lenco L70
    ** Lenco L75 (project, possibly going the PTP route if I decide to keep it)
    ** Garrard 301 (in DIY ICU)
    Garrard 4HF

So, I'm pretty much hooked on vintage, idler wheel tables.

RONENRAY likes this.
  5. antnee

antnee Well-Known Member

Technics late 70’s
    Lp120 and my current is lp7

6. TheKevster

TheKevster Forum Resident

1981 - ITT Hi-Fi 8014 (a rebadged BSR Quanta 600)
    1984 - Dual CS505
    1985 - Heybrook TT2
    1987 - Linn LP12 (which I still have and use)

7. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Quite a few AR XA's both stock & modified.
    AR ES 1, modified
    Heybrook TT2
    Pioneer PL 630, which we still have
    VPI Classic
    VPI SE Scout
    Sota Sapphire

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Just purchased the little Marantz that arrived today, I wanted to cut back and get something reasonable and wow, this one did not disappoint . I'm just so surprised at the level of quality, but I should have expected exceptional German engineering, they did such a nice job. More people should consider this budget table, it so very nice, cartridge is GREAT! It took a long time, several hours to get everything perfect, but it's all done now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have drawn out a nice dust cover, hope to get that made in the next week or so, then this will all be a done deal. Those of you looking for a table, the Marantz is certainly a good choice. I was very surprised this replacement was a better choice than my original I sold to buy some digital equipment a few months ago. I had a nice VPI Scout with 2" acrylic platter, with the Shure V-15 Type V-MR. Personally, I liked the look of the VPI better, but the sound of the Marantz (Clearaudio), go figure.

One thing that really surprised me, and I posted about my concerns and many of you responded. I was so worried about the stylus jumping all over the place and it has not skipped at all, none. I used the heavy base as pictured in conjunction with the VibraPods, which seems to work very well with my terrible second story floor! Very pleasantly surprised indeed. :agree:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  9. 80sFan

80sFan Well-Known Member

I own,
    Technics SL-5210
    Technics SL-D2
    Technics SL-D212
    HMV 8+8 ( BSR auto idler)

10. MTB Vince

MTB Vince Forum Resident

• Thorens TD160 purchased along with a Quad pre and power amp in my teens, 40 years ago (Yes Dad, I would rather have a nice stereo than a car!).
    • Gently used Oracle Delphi original with Magnepan Unitrac tonearm, and Adcom HOMC purchased at the tender age of 20 with my first bonus at work.
    • Upgraded the Delphi to Delphi 3 and retrofitted Syrinx PU3 and Koetsu Rosewood a few years later (Still no car!).
    • Got married (the first time!), sold the Oracle and bought a car. No turntable for 5-6 years. Got unmarried.
    • Started my own biz and succeeded. Bought new Delphi V, Turbo PS, SME345, Benz Glider and bunch of tubed gear. Yeah, vinyl again! Got married a 2nd time.
    • Upgraded the arm to SME V and cartridge to a Benz Ref. Bought a bunch of WAY more expensive tube gear. Got unmarried again... (No it wasn't the stereo!)
    • Built a man cave for the stereo and movies. Got married again (3rd time was the charm!). Wife likes stereo too. Bought her a refurbished Oracle Alexandria with Carnegie MC for the living room.
    • Had kids, Walk in on my 4 year old showing his play-date how Daddy's cool record player works. Benz Ref stylus made several revolutions of the Oracle's record mat prior to its demise. Daddy sticks with CDs and movies in the man cave for awhile. Oracle acquires protective coating of dust, 5 years worth...
    • Daddy buys new Benz LP-S and has the SME V re-wired from cartridge pins to RCA plugs with single continuous run of Cardas. Daddy is happy again...
    • To be continued, I'm sure...

11. RONENRAY

RONENRAY Forum Resident

When i was young Teppaz al in one
    In my middle of my age Dual 1019,1015,Thorens ??? , Project 6.9 all gone .
    In my older days Michell Gyro SE whith SME309 , Michell Reference Hydraulic Transcription with SME 3009/2,Thorens TD124with SMe 3009/2
    Lenco L75 rebuilt to PTP 5 with Grace G704, all in use at this time.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  12. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

There have been quite a few turntables in and out of my listening room over the years, but the long term residents have been
    • BSR Auto changer
    • Garrard Lab 80
    • Sharp SG-400E
    • Mitsubishi LT-70
    • ITT 9011
    • Technics SL-7
    • Thorens TD 125 / TP25
    • Technics SL-1210M3D
    • Linn LP12 / Ittok / Aro
    • SME Model 10 / Series V

I think that my current SME may just be the last, assuming of course that a model 30 or an EMT 927 at the right price doesn't cross my path :D

13. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

The Garrard 4HF with stereo ceramic cartridge in dad made stereo portable record player with extension right speaker which was pretty awesome when you're 8.
    The BSR 610 with Goldring G800E magnetic cartridge.
    After a records in storage playing from tape and cd hiatus
    Pioneer PD12D with Ortofon Concorde fitted with types 10 and 2o stylus. Nice simple use table with good sound.

14. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Technics P mount turntable 1984-2001
    Stanton Turntable 2001-2004
    Rega P3 2004-
    Rega Planar 6 2019-

15. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace (gone)
    Thorens TD-125/2 with Rabco (should have kept that one)
    Garrard 301 (and that one)
    Thorens TD-124/2
    Garrard 401

Might look for one more, so I can leave one for each of the kids when I'm gone.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Seconded on that Thorens. The Pioneer PL-12D was a nice basic inexpensive belt drive manual turntable in the era, still performs well. The GE Wildcat was my second phonograph, worse than my MusicMaster kiddie phono it replaced, destroyed styrene 45 RPM singles in one play. GE tried to repair it multiple times without remedying the problem (and refunded Mom's money, and even replaced the damaged records). A 1964 Philco consolette replaced it with bigger amplifier, AM/FM Stereo radio, bigger and better speakers, and the VM 1200 series record changer with the Philco version of Micro-Touch using the medium output Tetrad cartridge tracking at 2 grams, it served me well for 10 months after I recapped the amp, realigned the tuner, and rebuilt the VM changer. Then came my broadcast engineering/DJ job at the local AM/FM combo stations in 1973, then my Dynakit based system, Dynaco A 25 loudspeakers, and the AR-XA with Shure M 91ED which was my first separates.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  17. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Just picked up a a Dual 1009, 1019 and 1229q for $200. The 1019 works perfectly. The 1229 needs a new speed selector switch which I am having a tough time finding so far and cleaning and the 1009 needs a few things as well as some cleaning. I already have a Thorens 160 for Vinyl Nirvana, a Dual 1219 and a project Debut Carbon. The Thorens is my main table but I listen to the 1219 a bunch as well. I'm about to give away my Debut Carbon to a friend for his birthday and move one of the other tables to my second system to replace it. I think that I may just make the 1219 my mono table and the Thorens my stereo table on my main system and the 1019 on my second system, but i may switch the Duals. I have too many turntables.

18. mtb_ww

mtb_ww Active Member

PREVIOUSLY OWNED
    Technics D1 (first TT, 1979)
    Technics 1300
    Rotel RP1500

CURRENT
    NAD 533 (rebadged Rega P2)
    Philips 312
    Technics D2
    Kenwood KD-2070
    Garrard 86sb

Guess it's obvious I like collecting gear. I rotate turntables from time to time (except the NAD), just to mix thing up

bever70 likes this.
  19. BrentB

BrentB Urban Angler

Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Sota Comet
    Marantz 6100
    Marantz 6300
    Kenwood KD ??? The belt drive with the marble plinth
    Technics SL-1200 the one with the Panasonic labels and not Technics
    Technics SL-1200 with Technics lables
    Sony PS-x50
    Project/One DR770
    Harman Kardon ST7? The one with the Rabco Arm
    Elac Miracord 40a

I still have all except Music Hall, Kenwood, and Elac. The 1200 w/Technics, Sony, and Project/One are currently installed in my systems.

monte4 likes this.
  20. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

not too many:

Technics SL-DD2, or whatever it was called. Inexpensive and only p-mount carts
    Thorens TD-165 (college)
    Rotel RP-900 (post-college)
    VPI HW19 Mark III
    Dual CS5000 (for ~10 years)
    VPI Aries 1
    Thorens TD309

monte4 likes this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC (modded)
    AT LP-120USB (phono removed)
    AR "The Turntable" (Audioquest arm, restored/customized)
    Denon DP-60L (Jelco arm)
    Kenwood KD-500 (Jelco arm)

All here, all being used.

22. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I've been hooked on the Dual idler drives for a while now.

My 1009 SK2 is like nothing else. So rhythmic, lots of detail retrieval, a real 3D solidity to the sound. I love it. Been toting with the thought of replinthing and adding a second arm (a Thorens TP11 or a Grace 707 that's coming in the mail).

I just picked up a 1218, and while it is similar to the 1009, it is much more refined, much more similar to my nodded Thorens TD160 and 145.

Since the drive systems and platters are very similar between the two Duals, I am assuming the more modern arm of the 1218 is the major cause of the refinement (anyone? I know the motor in the 1009 is much more robust, so maybe the torque also contributes?).

But the 1009 SK2's sound is unique. I really want to hear a 1019 now, as it is the ultimate iteration. And it has pitch control!

Good luck discovering the sound of the Dual idler drives!

23. Guth

Guth Music Lover

My first turntable was a Technics. I literally could not give it away — ended up tossing it in the dumpster. I've owned nothing but Linn's and Rega's since then. Was happy to be done with the DJ turntable back then and happy to never look back.

24. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

Pioneer PL12D
    Ariston RD11S/SME 3009
    Thorens TD150/SME 3009 (eventually replaced with a Mission 774)
    Logic DM101/Linn Basik LVX (also eventually replaced with the Mission 774)

25. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Of all the turntables I’ve owned, the only one I miss is the Dual 1229Q. There is something special about idler drive tables. One day I’ll own a Garrard 301 or 401. Then I’m done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.