Have the Rega Planar 6 plinth sagging issues been fixed

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AKA-Chuck G, Jul 24, 2019.

1. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member Thread Starter

kevin5brown likes this.
  2. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I only briefly scanned that posting, but unless I missed something, only 1 P6 apparently had some type of "sag" according the owner. I've sold quite a few P6s since they were introduced and have never heard (nor seen) anything like this.

You are only a couple of hours away from me.....perhaps you would like to stop by and check out a P6 in person so you can see the plinth?

Omarstringer, TimB, jusbe and 2 others like this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I agree this seems like an isolated indecent. The noted thread is over a year old and there are no other responses with similar problems. Forming a trend from a single data point is just poor statistical analysis. If there is a genuine concern, I would direct this concern directly to Rega or one of their dealers for reassurance.

Oelewapper and jusbe like this.
  4. AKA-Chuck G

I counted at least 3 posters that mentioned similar issues. Poor reading skills leads to "poor statistical analysis". I have neither.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Unless something has been changed in the way they are made, you should assume a big fat "no".

6. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I don't see any reason to believe they are "sagging." The few posts I saw looked like one-off defects or damage in shipping.

Go buy one from Goldprint!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  7. AKA-Chuck G

Yes, it does look/sound like possible troll activity anyway. I just wanted some input from others and did not appreciate the reply from vinylontubes. I've had Rega's basically my whole life, so I am, by no means, trying to stir up bad Rega vibes.

8. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have two friends with P6s & there's another at a local dealer. All have totally flat plinths.

9. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I've had mine for nearly 2 years: I purchased one of the first that hit the West Coast, from a Rega dealer. No probs here.

10. Adrian Struve

Adrian Struve Active Member

I have the same issue with a sagging plinth on my Planar 6. :(

punkmusick likes this.
  11. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I am nearing two years with my Planar 6 with no such issues. I bought the P6 with complete confidence in the product and it has proven itself to be an exceptionally wonderful turntable.

This is definitely not meant as a harsh retort, but ultimately if you are not feeling confident about the P6 I would honestly suggest considering at other alternatives. Honestly, no one needs the distraction of constantly worrying about their gear - especially if you might have the tendency to do so more often than not. In my case once I get my system set up and working, with the exception of cleaning, I more or less just leave it alone to do it's thing for extended periods of time (years). This approach works for me, but I wouldn't be able to get away with it if I was focused on other issues causing me to fitz with things on a constant basis.

On the other hand, if you raised this question more out of curiosity and you have been happy with the performance your P5 and it has proven to be trouble-free during your time of ownership then consideration of the P6 makes a lot of sense.

Good luck with whatever table you end up with next.

bluesaddict likes this.
  12. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Hi @Adrian Struve , would you be able to post a photo of the sag? I am sorry to learn that this happened to you and would like to see how it has impacted the plinth. Do you happen to recall the month/year when you purchased your P6?

13. Adrian Struve

Here is a picture below. I was in contact with my dealer. They will send me a new P6.
    It was bought just around a year ago. I am sure the sag has appeared over time.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  14. Adrian Struve

[​IMG]

15. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Wow! Not impressed with that at all. I've never seen any TT sag like that. What kind of material is the plinth made from?

BillWojo

Vinylistener, richbdd01 and McLover like this.
  16. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Previously I'd read that the sagging was caused by foam inserts in the box pressing down on the plinth, but if this is sag that occurred over time outside of the box, it's a whole new wrinkle to the issue.

17. Adrian Struve

It was not like that when it was new, im pretty sure about that. I will give the P6 another chance by letting them send me a new one.

rischa likes this.
  18. jheyesen

jheyesen Forum Resident

I purchased my P6 right around the time the current gen was released. It definitely was not warped upon initial unboxing, but certainly developed a pronounced sag over the course of maybe 6 months (see photo below). The US distributor really stepped up in getting me a whole new deck - so major props to them. My replacement unit has been trouble free going on a year or so now.

[​IMG]

19. Adrian Struve

Im glad to hear your new TT has been trouble free.
    I hope i can say the same in a year or two!

20. Guth

Guth Music Lover

@Adrian Struve - Thanks for the info on the approximate age of your P6. To you and @jheyesen both - I'm glad to hear that the dealer's / distributors have stepped up (as they should). I've got to admit that such a sight would be quite the blow to the spirit as I've grown pretty attached to my P6. That is definitely not the sort of thing that would go unnoticed were you to first pull it out of the box looking that way when new.

McLover and Adrian Struve like this.
  21. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

So what material is it made of? I have never seen a plinth do that before.

BillWojo

22. AnalogReview

AnalogReview Well-Known Member

All I can find is that it’s a ‘lightweight foam core plinth’..

23. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

Audiophile grade styrofoam

24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I searched for a cross section picture of the foam plinth that I remember seeing but found this- others are joining the fun, some in the opposite direction. Sorry guys.

Rega Planar 6 plinth sagging- Vinyl Engine

If this happened to my table I would get a replacement and sell it fresh in the box. There is no telling how long that the new ones will remain stable.

25. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I've been wary of Rega's foam plinths since they were introduced. I don't mind that they're lightweight and "look" cheap, I just don't have confidence that the foam will maintain integrity for the long term. Maybe it will, but without knowing for sure, I just can't justify the investment.

With careful use, I know my particle board RP3 will still be in good enough condition to sell or give away when I'm ready to upgrade. People are still enjoying their Rega decks from the 80's, but I'd be surprised if the foam models are still kicking in 30 years.

That's not to say the foam plinth models aren't excellent sounding now, just skeptical of their longevity. Hope I'm wrong.

McLover, HiFi Guy, willboy and 2 others like this.