Beatles "Carnival of Light" Who has heard it?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian999, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian999

Brian999 SLY Thread Starter

Anybody? No bootleg yet? I know Mark Lewisohn has said he heard it and said its 'ok'. Paul wanted it on Anthology 2? but got vetoed. Also, has a boot ever surfaced of the vulgar version of "Sexy Sadie" under the working title "Maharishi". Wondering if that tape got destroyed or wiped out for fear of leaking out.

2. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I have at least 3 different versions on 3 different bootlegs, all probably fake.

I suspect that if it ever does get released, it'll be pretty anti-climactic. The Beatles were a wonderful band in many ways, but the "jams" we've gotten from them have not been all that exciting.

TonyACT, Jamey K, mando_dan and 25 others like this.
  3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

IIRC There was an interview with Giles Martin where he mentioned everything got digitized in 2009 including carnival of light, and there was another separate interview where Mark Lewisohn said that all the boots of it were fake and it is still under lock and key if or when they want to put it out.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I've made this brag on other threads, but because I worked on the Beatles Rock Band, I have been in the same room with a laptop (belonging to Giles Martin) that had COL on it. Martin wasn't present at the time and I wasn't high enough in the pecking order to have actually heard it.

I can probably confirm that nothing that's leaked out is real.

caravan70, Folknik, longaway and 35 others like this.
  5. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

COL is mess by all accounts. I'm actually more interested in various studio jams they did on LSD between May & June 1967. NO ONE asked Lewisohn about this since brief snatches of description in 1988 book.

6. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

I'm with you, I want to hear those jams. Maybe not in full, but at least a few minutes of each.

Jamey K, linklinc, 2141 and 5 others like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Q: Beatles "Carnival of Light" --- Who has heard it?
    A: Maybe a few thousand people heard it, but they didn't realize it. Meaning, all of the people who attended either of the two "Raves" at the Roundhouse (standing capacity of 3300) heard the "song" being played numerous times throughout those evenings. But most of them never knew it was The Beatles playing on it.

[​IMG]

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Before this thread gets shut down, read this from our rules:

Hi folks,
    Lately we've seen a few threads/posts by people "sniffing" for copies of legitimate cds/dvds of material that is out of print or difficult to find. These threads/posts get deleted when we see them. These types of requests are strictly against forum rules. Specifically:

Unacceptable Post Content

# Discussions of bootlegged or pirated items, including links and/or requests for links to sites that sell, trade, or contain bootlegs or downloads of any copyrighted material. Note: all links are subject to review and deletion at the sole discretion of the Moderators of SteveHoffman.TV.

Some links to websites may not be allowed for legal reasons.

# Trades/requests for CD-Rs of copyrighted material.

Thank you for your co-operation,

The SHTV Moderation Team

Jamey K, hi_watt, Peter_R and 7 others like this.
  9. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Agree.
    And looking back on their output as a whole, if I had to choose one strength over the other…I wouldn’t want it any other way than the way it was, and thankfully, they originally released what they did best.

The closest thing to a ‘tight’-jam for my tastes was Take 1 of ‘I’m Looking Through You’ from Anthology 2, wherein in place of the bridge with lyrics (which I’m guessing wasn’t written as of yet), it was music-only, which since became my go-to version of that song.

Sorry for the drift...BTT

10. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I've been catching up on Mark Lewisohn's appearances on the "Let it Be Beatles" podcast/show.
    One of them includes a question about "CoL" -- Lewisohn, as usual, is dismissive about the track. Obviously he suggests that its mystery/that most of haven't heard it make it interesting at all to fans.
    Again, I find this easy to say for someone who has heard it. I hope to have a chance to listen to it someday. My tastes do separate from Lewisohn's on several tracks.

Also, Lewisohn was clear that Paul wanted "CoL" released on Anthology but, as we've known, at least one of the other three camps said no. Mark said Paul probably wanted the track released to show that he was the first avant-garde Beatle -- and it was vetoed for the same reason. There was laughter, but I got the sense Mark truly meant that second part about the veto.

11. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Yeah, I totally respect Lewisohn’s ability to research and tell a story, but I’m not so sure about his ability to judge the quality of a recording. That he is so smug in dismissing CoL kind of infuriates me, to be honest.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They couldn't jam. They were great at a lot of things, but jamming wasn't one of them.

13. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I mean, it could very well be rubbish. I’m glad it’s not released.

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Well, I think I've heard it, I wouldn't bet a crate of albums on it though... it was very experimental... not a stone's throw perhaps from saying it is the Beatles' Metal Machine Music (well, it may be Art, but you can't dance to it, y'know?)

ODIrony likes this.
  15. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

You reiterated my reiteration!

ARK, AlienRendel and DTK like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

You say you want a reiteration
    Well you know we all want to repeat the word... ;)

17. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

If it's anything like You Know My Name then I'm not missing much.

Davmoco and mx20 like this.
  18. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The Lewisohn sessions book says the instruments are out of tune. It's doubtful any of that is going to get out. However, there is that long version of "Helter Skelter..."

David Pietras likes this.
  19. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

We've got to have something to long for. What else is in the vaults besides the 45 minute Helter Skelter? It should stay unreleased.

20. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

If CoL is ever released, it will become the new 'What's The New Mary Jane'.

Ie - many people will think 'man, we waited all these years to hear THIS rubbish?!'

21. Mr-Beagle

You have to feel sorry for Neil Young fans :cry:

tug_of_war likes this.
  22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

The best they could do was cranberry sauce :nyah:

23. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I wish I could hear it, and then be smug enough to dismiss it.

24. Mr-Beagle

I'd rather have George Fell Into His French Horn in pristine stereo.

25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Based on the explanations of how the composition sounds and comments by those who have heard it, I firmly believe it is most likely the myth and the legend that is probably much more compelling than the track itself

"The one long lost Beatles track that nobody has heard" is a lot more entertaining of a thought than "random sound collage on the "bonus track" disk of a Beatles deluxe edition"

That being said I would be curious to hear it of course, I just was never waiting with baited breath for it to surface

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.