Ebay Seller Label Cost Fee

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by yohalfprice, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yohalfprice

yohalfprice Forum Resident Thread Starter

I had not sold on ebay for some time until this week. Most of the items I listed had the buyer paying media mail fees for shipping at $2.80 each. On one listing I had free shipping, IOW I pay. In my sold items summary the buyers were shown as having paid the shipping fees.

I printed shipping labels, first paying for the "free shipping" item, meaning I had to link my PayPal to pay the $2.80. When all was said and done, I discovered I had been charged $2.80 per item for "label costs" on each and every item. Ebay describes this as "USPS label costs include any charges for insurance, Delivery Confirmation, and Shipping Confirmation."

I am confused as to why this fee of $2.80 was apparently double billed on every transaction with the curious exception of the "free shipping" item. Did I do something wrong? (besides ebay ;)) Was I scammed? Should I just jack the prices on future sales and show shipping as free? It makes no sense that buyer and seller were both charged $2.80.

All Down The Line likes this.
  2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

That sounds crazy. I'd definitely recommend contacting eBay to inquire. The fact that the "label cost" was exactly the same as the shipping cost does suggest that there might have been a glitch.

Also, for what it's worth, I've had good luck using PayPal's shipping tools, which I believe you can use as long as your eBay buyers are paying via PayPal.

3. yohalfprice

Thanks for a quick reply. I couldn't figure out how to contact eBay to inquire. I'll look further into that.

4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The customers paid the money for shipping on the listings where you had them pay the shipping. That money is deposited into your Paypal account. Now you have to pay out of that account to buy labels which you did. But they still paid for it. All is right.

5. yohalfprice

Thanks for the explanation. I checked the deposit amounts and it adds up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.