$400-600 per LP? The Electric Recording Co. releases, already out and upcoming...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ted Bell, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Music for the elite just pisses me off, that's all. We don't get to hear it because we don't have enough money? Martin Luther had a word for that..

2. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

For the price they’re probably going to charge, you could probably find a NM/NM or even a sealed original Monarch LP. I fee like at that point it’s just to have something to brag about.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  3. More power to them. But one thing I don’t understand is when the owner says they make them least profit. Assuming a pressing run of 300 and an average cost of $500 that’s $150,000 gross. How does it cost him nearly that much (assuming a small profit) to make them? Not saying it doesn’t but I’d like to understand how.

Also, does the fact that many of these titles are in the public domain help him?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

Hey, they are cheaper than some of the Better Records hot stampers. :laugh::D:laugh::biglaugh::pineapple:

googlymoogly likes this.
  5. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Interesting premise but people are getting noisy vinyl. Give me a break. They should listen to every copy before shipping at that price

kt66brooklyn, astro70 and RiRiIII like this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I can’t disagree with that. In my ideal world, the labels would’ve never started cheaping out on the packaging and these production practices would still be commonplace. All top notch reissues would be inexpensive mass market items, and so would quality playback equipment. But this stuff is always going to be cost prohibitive on some level. There are plenty of people out there who’d scoff at the very concept of paying anything for music, or even wanting a physical format, in an age when practically everything can be streamed for free. A $20 LP appears to them the same as a $300 LP might look to us.

Personally speaking, I can appreciate good artwork and a quality product, but I couldn’t really care if the records I buy came in a generic white jacket if the sound is good. I’m in it for the music. What they’re doing isn’t for me, but it certainly has merit and value.

they should at least clean every copy before shipping! Also, probably meaningless criticism on my part since I don’t pay for these, but I think the reproduction labels look like ass, at least from the pictures I’ve seen. For all the lengths they go to reproduce the packaging artwork, they should find a way to print the labels themselves as well and provide them to the pressing plant. They look like flat CMYK prints, which is nothing like how the original labels would have been made.

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

We discussed the additional costs in the existing thread, I think we may even have costed the letter press printing, safe to say it wasn't anywhere near enough to justify the retail.

Here we go, page 4, letter press, small run including plates, £15 per unit: Electric Recording Company To Reissue Several Prestige Mono Jazz Title in 2016

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Just because a title is in the public domain doesn’t mean that the original record company has to license the original master tape to him. I assume he has to pay to license those, as part of his deal is “we use the original master tapes.”

patient_ot and AaronW like this.
  9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

That might be a bit unwieldy at around 200 hours of focused listening per release but a 5 minute spin on an ultrasonic machine before sending them out might not be a bad idea.

10. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:laugh: Agree 100%

kt66brooklyn and MrRom92 like this.
  11. Yeah but they you’d be stuck with 465 CDs :tiphat:

Vinyl_Blues, troggy, Trbnado and 5 others like this.
  12. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Records (and audiophile equipment for that matter) are going in the way of "Veblen Goods"

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  13. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

465 CDs that I can :

Toss of my balcony
    Run over with my Harley
    Use for Skeet Shooting
    Bake and melt in my oven
    Play fetch with Fido
    Construct a flat Solar System
    Bounce flashlights off the shiny sides for lil’ Kitty
    Roll em down a hill - No cars!!!
    Use as party coasters for one
    Stack em high like Leaning Tower
    Juggle them ...and crash down!
    Bury them in the dirt like glittering tombstones
    Superglue them to look like a trippy mirror
    Leave them in my neighbors mailboxes
    Donate them back to the same Thrift Store
    (After mixing up the CDs and Booklets) :p
    Boil them in a pot
    ...plus 423 other ways.... :)

14. lightbulb

Whereas...
    With just only one
    Electric Recording Co.
    record:

I can carefully treat and handle it with white cotton museum gloves, while wearing a face mask, because I’m afraid to blow any dust on it, and not freaking out if I accidentally dinged a corner by one millimeter...

But, whatever floats your boat, is my motto!
    ;)

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  15. lightbulb

“Mined Silver” sounds more elusive and sexy, when compared to “purchased from the hi-fi equipment store”...

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

BTW, don't mind me, I'm just being grumpy. I had problems with DCC releasing my mastering stuff at $24.00 (Costco price). I wanted EVERYONE to hear the great sound, not just those with a lot of money.

Crazy thing is, we HAD to charge twice the price or the record companies wouldn't license us the stuff; it would compete with their released product.

So there ya go..

17. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Why shouldn’t I just spend $10 on Discogs to get a mono vinyl copy of the Du Pre/Elgar recording?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  18. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I find the argument that these are in many cases cheaper by no small amount than originals spurious. Only collectors would buy these titles in the first place and then only as originals I would think.
    I would love to hear one but on someone else’s dime.

19. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:shake: :shake: :shake:

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  20. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Someone mentioned Fremer, does he actually get a record like this for free? To keep?

21. Prophetzong

Prophetzong Forum Resident

The regular OJC cd of Way Out West is great. :D:agree:

22. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Possibly. ERC does send out samples - there are some pictured on Discogs.

The Klemperer/Beethoven symphonies box cracks me up. 13 LPs for a cool five grand. And it sold out.

kt66brooklyn and Ken E. like this.
  23. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

To some, throwing four-hundred dollars at a record manufacturer ( for something they can't get anywhere else ) is like the average joe throwing forty dollars at one of the scrapers for a new box set. ERC's customers aren't looking at the record and asking themselves if this disc is worth the money they paid, they're looking at what ERC is doing and asking themselves if the company is worthy of their support at that price.

24. lightbulb

The typical Electric Recording Co. consumer buys a dozen copies, because he figures his 5 buddies at the country club are sure to be impressed by them, especially by the exclusive price.

Oh, and the extra copies are for just in case some friends fly into town for the weekend.

astro70 and cwd like this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I really don’t understand the hatred and resentment here. Anyone who’s ever bought an SACD player, a 45 RPM double LP jazz reissue, or still has a working reel to reel deck comes across as an elitist kook to most of the rest of the world. People are flabbergasted when they come to my house and see my record and CD collection and my modest stereo system.

This guy has a vision of perfection and he’s chasing it to the best of his ability. That the records he presses are out of my reach doesn’t make me respect him any less for that. Good for him. As I believe someone said above, good for anyone who brings something beautiful into this world.