Doctor Who General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RubberBallMan, Apr 30, 2020.

1. RubberBallMan

RubberBallMan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m a massive Whovian. I’m a big fan of both Classic and New Who.
    My favourite Classic Who Doctors are the 2nd Doctor (Patrick Troughton) and the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker).
    My favourite New Who Doctor is the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) with the 13th Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) not far behind.
    My favourite companions are Leela and Donna.
    My favourite episodes are The Enemy Of The World, The Talons Of Weng-Chiang and Turn Left.
    My favourite seasons in Classic Who are Season 5, Season 12-14 and Season 26.
    My favourite seasons in New Who are Series 4 and Series 12.
    My favourite monsters are the Yeti.
    What are yours?

You can discuss about the music soundtracks used, your memories of the show and whatever you want.

However, hostility of particular eras of the show will not be tolerated. There’s been enough of that with the missing episode collectors, Ian Levine who is also a DJ hating on the Chibnall era and also Philip Morris who is hating on New Who which is utterly unprofessional and immature.
    The notmydoctor lot are not welcome in this thread.
    You can still mention that you didn’t like something in particular. For example, the 12th Doctor and his stories are my least favourite. But am I being nasty about it? No. There’s no need for hate or anger.
    Just accept and embrace Doctor Who as a whole.

Crungy, peskypesky, NickySee and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

No hate from me. A watcher from the first ever episode. There's very few I've missed. A couple from the Bonnie Langford era when I was abroad on holiday (pre-video recorder era) but the rest, I was there. (Although I very nearly bailed after suffering a lot of the hammy mid-70s Tom Baker episodes)

There's periods I like better than others, sure. Huge supporter of the work Matt Smith did. Favourite Doctor would be Troughton. Best writer Moffat, favourite companion would be Zoe - but I've a lot of time (ha!) for Catharine Tate.

Recently it's a show that has brought the haters out in force, especially over the latest Doctor and writing team. Destroyers. These newcomers weren't around for the bleak years when we didn't have a Doctor I suspect. I'm sure some are pushing for its cancellation again.

With this program the good far outweighs the bad.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Are you sure this is the year you wanna start a Dr. Who thread...? :hide:

4. Andy Smith

Favourite monsters/aliens: I'd go with the yeti too, but am clamoring for a return of the Rani.
    'Blink', 'Fury From The Deep', 'A Good Man Goes To War' and 'The Girl In The Fireplace' were for me the most memorable episodes. Three of them I can return to quite often :).
    I've tried to like some of the audio plays but they don't work for me. It's such a visual show. They try hard but....
    John Nathan-Turner was my favourite show-runner for the longest while. Brilliant decision to cast Peter Davidson. Not sure about the direction offered to Sylvester McCoy though. Played the role almost too cartoon-like. Was that poor direction or allowing the actor too much scope?

RubberBallMan likes this.
  5. RubberBallMan

I love the direction that Sylvester’s doctor was taken in. On first appearance, the 7th Doctor had a clownish personality which was then developed into a darker approach to the point where he’s manipulative. Thinking about it, the 7th Doctor’s manipulation was embedded quite early on. In Paradise Towers, SPOILERS He manipulated the guards in Paradise Towers using the rulebook to get out of the situation he was in. SPOILERS (don’t read if you haven’t seen the story yet).

6. RubberBallMan

During lockdown, there have been Doctor Who watchalongs for episodes such as The Day Of The Doctor, The Doctor’s Wife, The Stolen Earth/Journey’s End and loads more. Cast and crew members have come together to celebrate the episodes by filming prequels and sequels specially made during lockdown. Tonight there will be a watchalong for the 2005 story Dalek. There’s been a prequel made for it.

Andy Smith likes this.
  7. RubberBallMan

Farewell Sarah Jane was written for The Stolen Earth / Journey’s End. It was also the anniversary of the passing of Elisabeth Sladen.

Get prepared with some tissues.

8. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Some time ago, I started a re-watch of the entire classic series, but stopped in the middle of Patrick Troughton. After recently watching the reconstruction of Wheel in Space, I decided to continue. I like most all of the classic series, but the Jon Pertwee era is my favorite.

[​IMG]

9. illinoisteve

illinoisteve Forum Resident

Tom Baker will always be my favorite Doctor Who. "Would you care for a jelly baby?"

FLEMKE, Chris DeVoe, parman and 6 others like this.
  10. RubberBallMan

“It’s true, then.”

Unknown Delight likes this.
  11. RubberBallMan

“They say The Evil One eats babies”. :laugh:

Unknown Delight likes this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Heaven Sent with Peter Capaldi is the best episode I've seen. Scary and emotional. Capaldi and the story is magical. The build up to it is great via previous episodes but I didn't see it coming. I had never heard or read about it before I saw it. I was floored!

Matt Smith was my first doctor but I can't see anyone but Capaldi doing this story.
    Sure I can see Tennant doing it now, but not then when he was 15 years younger.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Markyp, AppleCorp3, Joe W and 4 others like this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I have not seen anything pre the revival in 2005 or whenever it was. Tennant is fun and enjoyable and great, but Capaldi is my favorite. He is the best actor to me and when he is great and he is really great!
    But many of the best stories is from the Tennant and Smith years so there's that.

I like most of the companions but the girl who was with Capaldi after Clara was haaarible. Probably not the actors fault but I didn't like anything about her. I'm sure I'm not alone and after that my interest in Doctor Who shrank and I have not seen anything after Capaldi.

Joe W and Crimson Witch like this.
  14. Andy Smith

15. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

My Season 14 Blu-Ray set is making it's way to me in the States as we speak.

Pertwee and Tom Baker is where it's at for me.

Morpheus, longdist01 and jtiner like this.
  16. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Agreed, but I'll put Troughton right up there with them. And really, you can't beat the costumes from his era. I mean, the Dominators may have been "the masters of the ten galaxies", but they were also fashion trendsetters.

[​IMG]

Andy Smith and RubberBallMan like this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I don't think it's fair to compare the later Doctors from the earlier Doctors...on the basis that, you can't compare the earlier Doctors to the later Doctors...because they hadn't happened yet.

One of the things watching American television all my life has done for me, was learning the superiority of the British way of writing a whole "series" of a complete story, as opposed to a "season" of episodes. It took Hollywood years to gravitate to long-form story arcs and "put on their big-boy writing pants". Somehow now I wonder if enough of them really know what to do with that, though...you even see whole networks like CBS almost abandoning it because they're aware the viewer invest more trust in a show if they're confident the network won't rip it off their laps mid-season (hi, Fox! :wave: ); Tiffany Network is happy enough to have Gramps tuning-in regularly, and re-setting the same table over and over again, without worrying about a mosquito bite from the last NCIS quirky lab-assistant's face not showing up this week.

I think it would have been totally cool if all the continuity-fixing additions (the regeneration, bringing back old companions, letting other actors play the same character), were settled from the git-go, of course I know that wouldn't have been feasible or even necessary back then, but imagine how the show might have grown if they'd known back then about all the continuity tweaks they were eventually going to make. It doesn't do Saturday Night Live any favors, for instance, but it serves the Time Lord just right.

That's what I like bout the later Doctors (although I already said it wasn't fare to compare them to the earlier ones, because of this very thing): they comport themselves with a sense of the legacy of their characters that audiences have seen and experienced during a fond time of their development, that the earlier doctors were not permitted.

I like it that Doctor Number 10 has a fondness for Sarah Jane, and Doctor 11 has a fury against the Daleks we don't really see in the '80s. I like when Doctors' are faced with emotion along with encountering earlier companions they lost along the way, and are more emotional about Gallifray, even though they are supposedly the same entity, just played by a Capaldi instead of a Pertwee. Most importantly, I love how Doctor Numbers 10-on, seem to understand our nostalgia for the things that formed him, in a way they could not before while we were ourselves building-up that nostalgia.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Andy Smith likes this.
  18. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

It doesn't hurt that Zoe has it going on in all the right places :)

Andy Smith, Mr Bass and jtiner like this.
  19. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Indeed! Zoe was a real cutie!

[​IMG]

RobNeil, Uuan, parman and 4 others like this.
  20. Pete Norman

Pete Norman Forum Resident

I really liked some of the stories, 'who' was playing the doctor didn't really matter much to me...

RubberBallMan likes this.
  21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I only watched the series intermittently between about 1973 and 1989. I eventually saw some of the first two Doctors episodes. Yes, Wendy Padbury as Zoe was by far the best of the regular companions. Just the right mix of cuteness and moxie. I also liked the two Romanas a lot but of course they were Time Lordesses. That concept worked better than I would have thought and it would have been nice to occasionally return to that.

I have no problem with any of the Doctors, they are all competent actors. I actually like them more than the companions except for the 3 I mentioned above.We have to be careful confusing the actor with the scriptwriter and director. But it is fair to say that Tom Baker seemed to have the most fun playing the part. I actually like Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy's Doctors and don't understand the distaste for them. Peter Davison had a tough act to follow and I think the writers tried too hard to overcorrect from Tom Baker's flamboyance.

The two Romanas

[​IMG]

22. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

Somehow the dear story and loving interaction between Matt Smith's doctor and Amy Pond got me. I don't know if the magic was Whovian, but it was a nice story over the seasons. I liked all of the Doctors more or less, but Tennant and Smith along with their character interactions were special. It certainly wasn't the SciFi aspects for me, but rather the kind/loving relationships. Clara was pretty good also. Supernatural, up to a point, has a similar kind of character interactions, but IMO the Smith/Gillan (Doctor/Amy Pond) interaction was the most interesting, bordering on heart rendering. Perhaps as an homage to Doctor Who, there was a character named Amy Pond on Supernatural also (short lived, however.)

23. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Speaking of companions, one almost companion was Cheryl Hall who sadly was passed over in favor of Katy Manning' s Jo Grant. Cheryl was cast in a prominent role in the series Carnival of Monsters so you can see her in action. I think she would have made an excellent follow on to Zoe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy Smith likes this.
  24. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I never watched the early "Who" but when I discovered she was a Whovian,
    I was "Whoa!". I saw "The Blood on Satan's Claw" through for the first time
    only a few years back despite it being on local TV in cut form many times in
    The '70s. She plays the adorable but doomed Cathy Vespers in that one and
    Ms Padbury does have an innocence about her that makes her seem years
    younger in that role. She easily seems 17 there but was in her mid-20s by
    then. I read she wasn't too pleased with the film but seems tickled that
    "Dr Who" is still in production.

Mr Bass and Andy Smith like this.
  25. Andy Smith

I watched a couple of McCoy episodes quite recently. I cringed. Not his fault, of course. If the director said "Play this as a bumbling buffoon" then it's hardly his fault.

This 'falling down the steps' clip is a fine example of what I mean.

I actually love McCoy and I REALLY wanted his Doctor to work. Think he was let down by so many people, writing staff and directors being the main culprits.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Mr Bass likes this.