Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Her character was written as being a huge jazz fan and there were references of that throughout the series. Kamasi and band looking like the Arkestra, playing to a well to do audience in Russia was a bit surreal, but cool nonetheless.

And I too enjoyed the "end"(if we are truly to believe that...) as well as the final year. Very entertaining.

Gardo likes this.
  2. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

This +

Tomasz Stanko provided music for the series initially. If not for his untimely passing, would have made a much better choice for the finale.

ciderglider likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Nothing wrong with the choice. Happy it wasn't the typical approach with Marsalis or Kenny G.

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Who?? The African jazz band? Like anyone would know who that is. I thought is was just made up performers for the show.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Are you being sarcastic?

johnnypaddock and GentleSenator like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

they literally tell you who they are in the show. and they are not "african".

johnnypaddock and sberger like this.
  7. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

They were the real deal. It would take years for even the greatest actors in the world to pretend to be as horrible as those musicians were.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Kenny G. fan, huh?

9. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Nice try. Jazz is the worst art form, and it's unfair for Russians to be tortured in this way.

I don't recall any references to Carrie being a jazz fan since early in season 1. No white girls from the suburbs like jazz, unless they're mentally unstable. So maybe that explains it.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You're an idiot.

hvbias, zephyr25 and hbbfam like this.
  11. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Probably. But at least I'll never be labeled a jazz fan.

'05Train and Monty12 like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There were always allusions to Carrie being a jazz fan with the intro, the art work on her walls, and the occasional playing of jazz music. Jazz is the true American art form and IMO attending a jazz concert in Russia served to reinforce the notion of what she will always be and was giving up (yet not entirely giving up) - as well as closing the loop from season 1.

Why would there be any mention of Saul’s sister finding out he wasn’t dead? It wouldn’t have fit in the timeline of the scenes and wouldn’t have added a thing to the narrative.

It does leave an opening for a reunion.

Gardo likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Your avatar wouldn't approve.

hbbfam likes this.
  14. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Buddy Holly: The Jazz Years? As long as I don't diss Elvis, we're fine.

15. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Although for once the musicians seemed to actually play their instruments.

MrGrumpy likes this.
  16. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I didn't like the finale (or this whole season), but as someone said earlier, at least it's over now.

L.

17. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

A solid end to a fantastic series. I'm going to miss it.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

There was no closure in that finale, it wouldn't surprise if they return with a 2 hour movie in a couple of years.

19. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

And I would watch it.

marcb likes this.
  20. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Not one for "closure" or "satisfying" endings. But I know Hollywood can't help itself. A Quinn spinoff might be better than Scary Eyes Redux.

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Of course he would. But that's not how the system worked generally even during his reign. Unless we're talking about days of 1937 mass purges or some insane frontline moment of WW2 where lives were wasted without thinking.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  22. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Just got to see the final episode. Well, the dialogue between Anna and Mirov was as cartoonish and unbelievable as I expected, but other than that I was expecting a much more serious drama in the whole "Carrie betraying and nearly killing Saul" scene. I expected her to be pushed to the limit as an actress, sadly she wasn't and went through the whole ordeal like no big deal. The same about the guy who played Saul. This was not the finale worthy of the whole series to me. After all the series always aimed at asking some tough moral questions and exposing moral dilemmas and while it almost aimed at it with Carrie's book it still ended like a 007 movie. After Saul smiled I was almost expecting a 007 theme music to burst in. Of course I didn't want Carrie to betray her country, but several seasons offered much more dramatic finales than this one. Remember the scene of Brody's hanging? Etc.

GentleSenator and MrGrumpy like this.
  23. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Add the famine in Ukraine to Katyn, Nazi collaboration, etc. and that's a couple of million people.

A platoon is 25-50 men? Utterly disposable in Joe's USSR

P.S. Agreed on the finale.

24. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Oh, everybody was disposable in Stalin's times, no doubt about it. All I was talking about is that putting everybody against the wall was not how the counter-spy SMERSH system worked back in the 1940-1950's. Though I wouldn't exclude it. Now the same scene in Gorbachev's 1986 is pure absurdity. 1986 USSR was not North Korea by any stretch of the imagination and no execution on the spot without a long investigation, military trial etc was ever possible. Not that the scriptwriters cared one thing about such matters. But that's OK, it's just entertainment.

However Saul's description of Russia as "a mortal enemy who's slowly but surely strangling our democracy" sadly gives away the creators' view that totally falls in line with utter demonization of Russia (a christian, capitalist country with deeply flawed and corrupt political system yet one that is way more free and democratic than China, a country that doesn't give a flying **** about US democracy but simply wants to be left alone from never ending american meddling and pressure in it's internal affairs and it's back yard and punches back when it can, quite often above it's weight) so prevalent among american mainstream media and political thought on both sides of the aisle. I know I'm talking real serious stuff, not entertainment anymore but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it gives away a deep and utterly paranoid real conviction that stretches far beyond the fiction of spy series.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  25. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

At least one of the leads should have been liquidated (love that word). Saul's character was utterly emasculated as the final season wore on. By the end he was a blithering idiot, with a truckload of phlegm obstructing his vocal cords. His quote did strike me as odd, given that it was likely supplied by a far-left Hollywood hack. So maybe it was layered in irony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.