Better Call Saul - Season Three Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by stereoptic, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Another AMC commercial:

Tim S and Borgia like this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I just finished rewatching season 3. I had forgotten about the glimpses we saw of Jimmy becoming a pretty unlikeable character (i.e. Saul). Guess there's a lot more of that coming soon.

3. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

5. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

He’s not a real lawyer

mpayan and mmars982 like this.
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Since season 4 is about to start I binged season 3 on Netflix over the past few days. It was definitely my favorite season to date.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Any one know when Netflix will get season four ?

George P likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

In Season 4, why did Saul need to launder his money from the Hummel theft? Haven’t gone past this episode.

9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Thanks I didn't see that. When searching for "Saul" in thread titles only, I thought all the results were showing but only 5 of the 6 totals results were. Of course this thread was hidden off screen.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Bumping this thread as I recently started rewatching the series from the beginning (hadn't seen the episodes since they aired on TV). Some stray thoughts (may contain ***spoilers*** for Season 5):

- Chuck is a lot like Walter White in many ways--deep down, they are both seething control freaks. Chuck also ended up isolated and alone much like Walt.

- The season drags in parts, particularly some of Jimmy's scams and the Sandpiper residents plot which they return to here (and which apparently is coming back again in S6)--but it's still mostly fun, and Odenkirk is great throughout. I loved the stuff with Nacho, Mike, Gus, Hector and the cartel--very well done I thought. Nacho massively gets sidelined after this season and that's a shame because Michael Mando is a strong screen presence.

- I didn't really buy that the bar association would have been okay with Jimmy planting a charged battery on Chuck for the hearing and using Huell to do it. Great episode otherwise, but that was a bit of a "yeah right" moment. Chuck and Jimmy's games of cat and mouse were most entertaining this season, and their whole relationship is tragic.

- Kim's car wreck--it actually really distressed me to see her like that even though I knew it was coming. Rhea Seehorn is fantastic and I love how they write Kim and Jimmy together.

Can anyone who remembers tell me what Mike was looking for in the desert with the metal detector at the beginning of one of the later episodes of this season? They don't seem to go back to it that I noticed.

I still need to rewatch S4 next, but I believe S3 is the best one so far. The show hasn't really been the same since Chuck died (Michael McKean was so good in the part). I remember S4 massively spinning its wheels, and S5 was an improvement over it.

Also, this show absolutely flies by on streaming--I was watching 3-4 a night some evenings.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I think he suspected his friend Anita’s husband was buried out there. Sure enough...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  13. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I thought we were going to have a brief Mike and Anita romance (the sparks were definitely there), but that didn't happen. I guess they were just trying to get Nacho and Mike together and then shoot that Mike desert sequence.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

That was an unresolved story line. It really seemed that Mike and Anita were going to be a couple

15. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Anita: "Mike, these last few weeks have changed my life. I feel love again. I never thought I could get past my grief over my husband. But you've lit a flame in my heart, and I never thought I'd have that again."

Mike: "uh-huh" *slightly changes position of one eyebrow*

16. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mike can be terse.
    His responses can be pithy.

17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Are we talking the scene where Mike is using a metal detector out in the desert?

Thats not Anita’s husband or friend that Mike finds. Its the anonymous good samaritan that Hector and his goons blew away. Mike felt, rightly so, responsible for the persons death and after Anita mentioned that the worst part of her husband missing was not knowing if he was alive or dead.

Sure enough Mike finally ran across the dead body and the hand had a wedding ring. Mike then calls the authorities to let them know. That way the family at least wont be tortured not knowing.

I think though more and more, Mikes ability or desire to “make things as right as possible” fades. He becomes more Mike the assassin with very little feeling. Maybe towards Jessie he kind of does. But I think even then its more for the reason he detests Walter so much and hates to see this kid get involved with Walter the monster.

EddieMann, Dayfold and razerx like this.
  18. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Wow, I really didn't put that together at all. Thanks both of you for clearing that up.

Yeah, Mike gets caught up in the "making things right" mode again in S5 after the death of the kid in the Travel Wire store because of Lalo and then Mike having to take out Werner because he gave him too far long of a leash, both at the end of S4.

EddieMann likes this.
  19. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Been watching this series on DVD for a few weeks, just started season 3 tonight. And have never seen any Breaking Bad.

I've a feeling I'm in for a ride.

Tim S and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

FYI, NO SPOILERS HERE . . .

I watched the first two seasons of BCS, then watched all of BB, then continued with season three of BCS. Frankly, I don't know the best way to watch the two. If you watch all of BCS first, you miss some interesting moments of recognition if you've seen BB. (There was a scene in season one of BCS that would have had me laughing out loud had I seen BB first. But by the same token, when I saw BB there was a similar, reverse moment of recognition in a BB episode.) Perhaps there's no wrong way to watch it (though, of course, both must be watched in their own chronological order).

21. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If you like Better Call Saul then you should probably watch Breaking Bad, although you miss much if you choose not to. By that I mean BCS is self contained by itself. You can watch it without feeling like you’re missing something (except for maybe the scenes in black and white at the beginning of every season that take place after the events in Breaking Bad). Honestly, after rewatching BB I think BCS is a much better show. Too many events in BB feel rushed and its conclusion stems too much from an event that never actually happened in the show. In a way I felt a little cheated.

22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:confused: What event never happened that the conclusion stemmed from?

artfromtex likes this.
  23. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Gayle’s book. It was only introduced that episode.

24. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I've seen it all so far. For me, the seasons that included Chuck were superior to anything BB dished out (which was quite good, of course). BCS's stock down quite a bit for me after that. I really wanted more Saul, less BB at first, but now I'm more interested in the BB prequel stuff (e.g., I'm more interested in what happens to Nacho than Kim).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.