Dave Clark Five All The Hits Coming 1/24/20

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Audio Gent

Audio Gent The Audio Gent

Rec'd the new All The Hits LP: after careful listening, played my original DC5 albums going back to 1964 as well as the The History of the Dave Clark Five 2 CD. To my ears the new release seems a bit muddled and lacks vitality.
    After listening to the above i fired up the PBS Blu-ray The Dave Clark Five And Beyond - my vote for best sound.

Kick and SinnerSaint like this.
  2. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I've never owned a DC5 recording, so I just wanted to finally get something with their hits. I ordered the single CD on Amazon today, and "Universal Love" got added to my Amazon Prime Music playlist, although I still assume it's not on the CD.

MerseyBeatle and apple-richard like this.
  3. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I never did receive the two LP or expanded CD from Amazon. Did they actually get released? I do have the single LP and CD.

4. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

It did get released. Amazon.ca cancelled my order of the 2LP. I ended up getting it off ebay from rarewaves for cheaper.

apple-richard likes this.
  5. apple-richard

You wouldn't think a release people have been waiting on for years would be so difficult to get once it finally came out.

6. Nipper

Just got my CD today, and "Universal Love" is, in fact, included on the CD.

Jarleboy, Hep Alien and apple-richard like this.
  7. apple-richard

Not on mine.

8. Nipper

Mine says:

BMGCAT408USCD 24483-CD-0077 20-028-09-3

apple-richard likes this.
  9. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

So where is the box set and the reissued albums?
    Should I wait a bit longer or just get the "import" 7 cd set that is probably dubbed from vinyl?

Hep Alien and ShallowMemory like this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Shouldn’t this come out 25 years ago.
    That’s the time of big bucks $$$for physical media?

11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

so glad i bought those russian cd's that put 3 albums on a disc....they sound great and it's nice to have it all.
    i got sick of waiting for Dave when i bought those about 15 years ago. And he still hasn't done anything since other
    than another greatest hits or two....he really ruined his timing on releasing them.

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Far too late now. Nobody is interested, they are forgotten by all but a few remaining elderly fans.

Jarleboy, apple-richard and Bill like this.
  13. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

True. But in the other hand, didn't he sell all the rights to Universal? They're going to want something for their money

14. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

The 7CD set sounds pretty great considering the dubs were done 25 years ago with Cedar (or Cedar-esque) processing. Nice booklets, too.

15. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Timjosephuk likes this.
  16. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

17. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

They are on 7Digital in the UK at least too

sonnyrock likes this.
  18. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Cool, I will contact a russian guy to buy all 7. I think they come in mini lp format with obi, Japanese style.

19. VeeFan64

VeeFan64 A 60s Music Kind of Guy

Those aren't the ones I have. I'm referring to "The Complete History" set. They come in jewel cases. Manufactured in the 90s.

20. javilu77

javilu77 Forum Resident

Oh. These are probably a copy of that set but in mini lp style.

21. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

We have, in the past, been presented with some pretty bad sounding stuff on disc from The Dave Clark Five. This is no doubt related, in part, to original production issues, but past mastering efforts have been suspect, favoring copious compression. Intriguing to me, then, was the heightened dynamic range harbored by many of the tracks on All the Hits. Indeed, I see a lot of DRs of 10 to 11 on this set, whereas 8s and 9s prevailed on prior compilations.

A quick, though admittedly not very robust, value I often use to compare mastering of tracks between sets is the difference between a track's peak and average loudness (RMS). Below, I have calcuated this number for the 16 tracks on the American version of All the Hits, which also appear on 2008's The Hits and 1993's The History of The Dave Clark Five. The first number after each track's name is from The History of..., the second from The Hits, and the last from All the Hits.

Do You Love Me--9.53 dB, 9.45 dB, 9.46 dB
    Glad All Over--8.74 dB, 8.67 dB, 9.99 dB
    Bits And Pieces--10.94 dB, 10.83 dB, 11.52 dB
    Can't You See That She's Mine--10.99 dB, 10.99 dB, 11.19 dB
    Everybody Knows--12.11 dB, 11.98 dB, 11.24 dB
    Any Way You Want It--8.20 dB, 8.76 dB, 10.30 dB
    Wild Weekend--9.36 dB, 9.36 dB, 11.12 dB
    Catch Us If You Can--12.20 dB, 12.20 dB, 12.24 dB
    Because--10.29 dB, 10.29 dB, 10.53 dB
    I Like It Like That--9.88 dB, 9.88 dB, 11.00 dB
    Over And Over--11.13 dB, 11.13 dB, 11.56 dB
    Come Home--11.32 dB, 11.32 dB, 12.99 dB
    You Got What It Takes--8.45 dB, 8.45 dB, 9.51 dB
    Try Too Hard--9.01 dB, 9.01 dB, 10.98 dB
    Reelin' And Rockin'--9.82 dB, 9.82 dB, 10.98 dB
    Universal Love--not in set, 10.91 dB, 11.42 dB
    The data would suggest The Hits from 2008 is largely a redux of The History of... from 1993 since on both sets many tracks share the same difference between their peak and average loudness. By contrast, it would seem Dave Clark, in his mastering of All the Hits, has backed off on the compression. I don't perceive this set comprises all new digital transfers, so Clark likely just reconfigured his prior efforts. Importantly, some tracks appear to have gained noteably more dynamic range over the prior compilations: Glad All Over, Any Way You Want It, Wild Weekend, I Like It Like That, Come Home, You Got What It Takes, and Reelin' And Rockin' acquire more than a decibel of headspace. And as far as sound is concerned, it shows. On the earlier compilations, vocals are noticeably pinched, taking on a rushed essence, though this does make them project more strongly from the speakers. Instrumental elements likewise suffer on the earlier releases, sounding less delineated, more buried in the mix.

Some have suggested All the Hits sounds a bit too laid back. I can see why if one has gotten used to how Dave Clark has sounded in prior digital incarnations. However, I consider All the Hits to provide a far more pleasing listening experience, since excessive digital compression truly damages these songs. I clearly suspect, nonetheless, original vinyl would trounce All the Hits, but I'll settle with this for now, although I must now pick up the more expanded UK set.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
    GuinnessDan and Fender Relic like this.
  22. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

For DC5 listening,original mono vinyl has trounced everything else for me.

Marc Perman and Al Kuenster like this.
  23. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

24. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

All The Hits – The 7” Collection by The Dave Clark Five is out on October 28 on BMG.

From The Telegram...
    "At the end of this month, Clark will release All The Hits, a DC5 box set comprising 10 double-sided 7” vinyl singles including Bits and Pieces and Glad All Over (which knocked The Beatles’ I Want to Hold Your Hand off the number one slot in January 1964). He remastered the tracks at Abbey Road and was “pleasantly surprised” listening back to them in a big studio, particularly when it came to their directness."

Fred Dender likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Looks a little botched, as usual with DC5 collections. No “Satisfied With You,” and the two covers on disc 10 weren’t hits, at least not here.

Boulder Bob likes this.